Author Topic: Best place to buy broken controllers?  (Read 4775 times)

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

Best place to buy broken controllers?
« on: May 09, 2020, 08:36:18 pm »
I’m doing a display piece for my gaming room and rather not use any of my working controllers. Where’s a good place to buy broken controllers for cheap? I honestly just need the shells.
VGCs Unofficial Podcast! Be sure to sub and listen in.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTyhaE8LSCmQN7fiHxHjyWg

Add Me: fighterpilot562 (PSN, XBL, WiiU, Steam, Origin, Steam, Twitch)

1049-2600-8730

Re: Best place to buy broken controllers?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2020, 08:39:37 pm »
If we weren't in a pandemic, I'd say digging around some flea markets for junk controllers or maybe game stores to see if they have any that can't be repaired or aren't interested in fixing them, but at this point, probably Ebay.  I've regularly seen controllers and consoles that are broken, sold for parts, and can sometimes be bought in nice lots if you need more than just a few.

jipsy

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2020, 12:06:51 am »
Yard sales or I would even check ebay
Jipsy

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2020, 11:43:32 am »
I used to find tons of broken controllers and thrift stores and the flea market. Of course they were being sold as working. If those places were open I'd say try them out.

telly

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2020, 03:46:26 pm »
Yeah I used to find controllers at flea markets, salvation army, etc. all the time. I think in the times I've gone I've found 4 original Xbox controllers, 3 Gamecube controllers, 3 PS2 controllers, a Genesis controller, and so on.
Currently Playing:
DOOM (PS4)

My music collection | My Backloggery

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2020, 05:03:42 pm »
although this may not be a full controller these are some shells in all different colors they look nice a lot of these. But you may need the insides or fake buttons to make them worth looking at. heck some of these (shells) look so good I want to use them as my own playing controllers

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=Controller%20Shell
« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 05:10:23 pm by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2020, 08:09:41 pm »
Right now ebay.

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2020, 12:44:42 pm »
you can import a crap ton of broken or even good controllers in bulk from some japanese ebay sellers.

shadowzero

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2020, 09:55:00 pm »
Don't be afraid to ask brick and mortar stores what they have lying around in back.  Its true 99% of these places will make some attempt to repair merchandise and they do have access to the same internet as you ( meaning info ), but not all care enough or are skilled enough.
As far as importing I did that a lot last year but I had two items never make it to me in March/April.  One returned to sender and the Japan seller offered to try again.  I advised no since COVID many things have bottle necked too much. I feel like I keep reading an article about ships abandoned in harbors around the world for months every morning.   

byron

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2020, 11:20:56 am »
I can confirm anecdotally what Shadowzero says. I used to work at a book store that bought used electronics. If someone had ever come in and asked if we had any controllers lying around, we would have happily plunked two cardboard boxes of untested orphan controllers in front of them and said "go to town."
I don't believe that most places outside of specialty game stores will try to repair broken stuff. There isn't time in the day for stuff like that if the store is remotely busy. Mostly places that sell used merchandise want it to come in and go out as fast as possible and they'll be happy to unload otherwise unsellable stuff on you if you ask.