Author Topic: Worst Idea for a Kinect Game? (NBA Baller Beats)  (Read 1668 times)

psydswipe

Worst Idea for a Kinect Game? (NBA Baller Beats)
« on: April 25, 2012, 09:44:15 am »
I'm reading the latest press release from Majesco and can't help but wonder what they are thinking. I'll include the press release below, though the basic idea is using a real basketball to play the game. Unless I'm not reading it correctly, I don't understand how this will work because no parent wants their kid dribbling a ball inside the house, let alone in front of an expensive HDTV. Then there is the issue with flooring; hardwood will get marked up and carpeting won't work for dribbling a ball. I don't own a Kinect but I just can't imagine too many Kinect owners would be able to easily play a game like this indoors. It's these kind of poorly thought out ideas that will sink a company like Majesco.

Edison, NJ—April 25, 2012—Majesco Entertainment Company (NASDAQ: COOL), publisher of the wildly successful Zumba® Fitness video game franchise, today revealed plans to release NBA Baller Beats, a fun, high energy and first-of-its kind participative basketball video game launching this fall exclusively on Kinect™ for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft.

Developed by HB Studios, NBA Baller Beats gets players on their feet mastering mad ball handling skills using a real basketball while playing to the beat of an eclectic soundtrack.

The Kinect motion sensor captures every movement of both player and ball to create an entirely new basketball gaming experience.

“NBA Baller Beats introduces an unprecedented way to experience basketball through a video game like never before,” said Jesse Sutton, Chief Executive Officer of Majesco Entertainment.  “Our innovative play mechanic combined with Kinect technology puts the ball in players’ hands, tracking both full-body gameplay and ball movement, so players are going to have to get up and actually play basketball to get in the game.  Ballers and fans alike will love this game.”

“We are excited to work with Majesco to provide basketball fans and gamers with a unique experience like NBA Baller Beats,” said Vicky Picca, Senior Vice President, Licensing & Business Affairs, NBA. “Showcasing the energy and dynamic elements of the NBA against the backdrop of a compelling soundtrack will be fun for fans of all ages."

Aspire to perform like a pro in NBA Baller Beats as you train alongside your favorite NBA franchise unlocking songs, difficulty levels, and over 100 posters and trading cards showcasing NBA players’ greatest moves.  The music is your guide as you master ball handling skills, dribbling, and baller moves with a real basketball as Kinect technology tracks your every crossover, pump fake, behind-the-back, around-the-world and more!  Become the ultimate baller and increase your stamina in single player mode, break it down and practice different skills in Move School mode or show-off in multiplayer mode and go head-to-head against up to 8 players – the highest score wins bragging rights.   No matter the level of your skills, players of all abilities will enjoy getting off the couch and raising their game with NBA Baller Beats.

The NBA Baller Beats soundtrack features a mix of music across decades and genres including hip-hop, rock, and old school classics, with tracks from Kanye West, Run DMC, Gorillaz, Them Crooked Vultures, Common, Tiesto and more.  Majesco Entertainment will unveil NBA Baller Beats gameplay, as well as additional soundtrack artists and songs, during the annual Electronic Entertainment Expo held in Los Angeles this June before setting out to give fans a try at exclusive basketball camps this summer.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 07:07:20 am by psydswipe »

htimreimer

Re: Worst Idea for a Kinect Game?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 09:54:20 am »
this is a bad idea

darko

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 09:55:58 am »
You mean you guys don't have a full sized basketball court with 100" TVs on the walls in your house? I thought everyone did :/

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 10:06:27 am »
You mean you guys don't have a full sized basketball court with 100" TVs on the walls in your house? I thought everyone did :/
Yeah Darko, we must be surrounded by poor people    ???
Now where did Geoffery park my Bentley?

darko

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2012, 10:20:44 am »
Yeah Darko, we must be surrounded by poor people    ???
Now where did Geoffery park my Bentley?

Probably wherever he parked my Veyron. Drivers these days. Jeeze.

soera

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2012, 02:49:33 pm »
I cant believe the thought that went into this game design process.

Im sure one of the main people behind this is a guy who failed to join an NBA team and really wants to feel like a star even though he has the B-ball skills of a 6 year old girl.

darko

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2012, 04:51:54 pm »
I cant believe the thought that went into this game design process.

Im sure one of the main people behind this is a guy who failed to join an NBA team and really wants to feel like a star even though he has the B-ball skills of a 6 year old girl.

Don't get so down on yourself.

soera

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2012, 05:11:58 pm »
That cut me in my special area.

jcalder8

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2012, 09:48:32 pm »
I think it's an interesting idea for a game. I would give you a chance to actually practice some drills. Of course as others have said floor would be a major downfall of this.

kirbysuperstar

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2012, 11:21:25 pm »
I'll be honest, I thought this thread was going to be about DBZ Kinect.

BECOME THE SUPER CYAN

psydswipe

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2012, 07:06:53 am »
I'll be honest, I thought this thread was going to be about DBZ Kinect.

BECOME THE SUPER CYAN

Maybe I should have put the title in the subject name. I've tried Kinect and own a Wii but motion controls don't interest me much. I couldn't quite get six feet away from the Kinect when I tried it, just don't have the space unless I move a couch. This game just seems like the target audience would be kids but I don't see parents wanting that inside the house. The official website has a trailer for it but they just show a presumably single guy playing in some sort of warehouse loft that might have concrete floors. It looks like he is standing on a board though: http://www.nbaballerbeats.com.  I did see the box art and the game is packaged with an actual basketball.