Author Topic: Perfect Dark Turns 20  (Read 2209 times)

jason

Perfect Dark Turns 20
« on: May 22, 2020, 08:01:16 pm »
Happy 20th Anniversary Perfect Dark! The Nintendo 64 game developed by Rare was released 20 years ago today on May 22, 2000. What memories do you have of the classic game?

Re: Perfect Dark Turns 20
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2020, 10:06:12 pm »
I remember getting hyped to play it and then never getting past the first mission. I was young and it was probably my first ever fps. 20th anniversary is a good reason to revisit it though! I've also heard rumors that they're working on another, but take that with a grain of salt.

EDIT: Here's where I read about it:
https://www.reddit.com/r/GamingLeaksAndRumours/comments/gdyq9u/sabiwabii_friend_of_mine_has_been_saying_for_a/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share
« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 10:10:23 pm by dakooldood »

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2020, 04:23:00 am »
Perfect Dark is a great game! although I never really tried to complete the single player campaign, I love the bot mode the best. Where I can hone my skills in deathmatch mode without needing another human player to play with. like you need in order to play multiplayer in 007 Goldeneye

I got sick of 007 Goldeneye so I no longer have that game in my collection.  I got "Perfect Dark" a while ago.

But many need to know that Perfect Dark, requires the red colored 8mb expansion chip. In order to play the campaign but your allowed from my knowledge to play the bots "in the combat simulator section" even without the 8mb upgrade RAM computer chip

(for those who don't have the red upgrade it's easy to install and well worth obtaining it in my opinion)

This computer chip is vary easy to install and the best part you don't need to take your Nintendo 64 apart to install it, just need to open the expansion bay slot on the exterior of the console, than pop the black colored chip out and gently  insert the new red colored computer chip.

I think you can use a butter/table knife to do this but I never done it myself since I purchased the N64 with the Expansion 8mb chip already in mine.

pricey on Amazon now but you can also buy a Nintendo 64 with one already installed
https://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-64-Expansion-Pak/dp/B00000INR2
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 04:31:45 am by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2020, 11:11:32 am »
I rented Perfect Dark from a Blockbuster down the street from me during that time, and remember getting it home and only have part of the game available. I wondered what the hell was going on and realized you needed the expansion pack to play the whole game. I remember returning it to Blockbuster and getting another game instead for this reason, but I still really, really wanted to play it. I ended up getting an expansion pack shortly after and for a while playing the hell out of Perfect Dark. In fact, I probably put more time into Perfect Dark than I did Goldeneye which is saying a lot.

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2020, 01:15:31 pm »
Great game.  I probably played Goldeneye a lot more, at least multiplayer wise, but Perfect Dark had a lot of great stuff going on.

aliensstudios

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2020, 11:51:06 am »
I've had the chance to buy this game at least four or five times but never pulled the trigger. After playing Goldeneye, I think I could get behind this title though.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

koemo1

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2020, 05:01:13 pm »
Haven't had the chance to play it yet but I'm sure I will come around at some point :)
Seeing the amazing review scores it has received I'm curious what all the fuzz is about.
Let's not forget about the underrated Gameboy Colour adaptation. (It has been released in august tho)
There are a bunch of Nintendo 64 games ported to the Gameboy Colour which I hardly hear anything about (I'm getting off-topic) but which are still interesting!
Currently playing:
Rogue Trooper [xbox]
Days Gone [ps4]

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2020, 05:26:50 pm »
I've had the chance to buy this game at least four or five times but never pulled the trigger. After playing Goldeneye, I think I could get behind this title though.

If you like first person shooter games I highly recommend the original Perfect Dark, on the Nintendo 64 (especially) if you got the expansion chip. It has more playable options, then 007 Goldeneye, now if you like bot mode deathmatch games like "Turok Rage Wars" "Duke nukem 64" I would recommend it even more with or without the expansion chip.

But even without the expansion chip there is still some fun to be had with Perfect Dark, the combat simulator has various challenges and unlockables for winning against the AI opponents. You can even unlock maps from 007 Goldeneye in the bot mode as well. There is so much more but I'll let you find out for yourselves :)

Haven't had the chance to play it yet but I'm sure I will come around at some point :)
Seeing the amazing review scores it has received I'm curious what all the fuzz is about.
Let's not forget about the underrated Gameboy Colour adaptation. (It has been released in august tho)
There are a bunch of Nintendo 64 games ported to the Gameboy Colour which I hardly hear anything about (I'm getting off-topic) but which are still interesting!

Just pop it into your nintendo 64 and give it a shot, never know you might like it also ;)

NO APPS NEEDED

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

telly

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2020, 05:48:38 pm »
I played it on Rare Replay a few years ago. Loved it.
Currently Playing:
DOOM (PS4)

My music collection | My Backloggery

Warmsignal

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2020, 11:33:50 am »
If you guys wanna hear something sacrilegious - I've never really played this game. As much as I love the N64, anything that came out late in the console's lifespan, I didn't play. By then I was playing either PS1 or Dreamcast and I basically forgot all about the N64 at that point. So unfortunately Perfect Dark will never make the kind of impression on me that Goldeneye 007 made so many years ago. From my little experience with it so far, it seems just like a Goldeneye part 2.

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2020, 12:57:41 pm »
If you guys wanna hear something sacrilegious - I've never really played this game. As much as I love the N64, anything that came out late in the console's lifespan, I didn't play. By then I was playing either PS1 or Dreamcast and I basically forgot all about the N64 at that point. So unfortunately Perfect Dark will never make the kind of impression on me that Goldeneye 007 made so many years ago. From my little experience with it so far, it seems just like a Goldeneye part 2.

I also heard that Perfect Dark was in fact Goldeneye part 2, and it was considered by many to be the sequel, but I never knew why. Since I don't think James Bond or any character from the James Bond Universe/story was ever included in Perfect Dark, for one you play as a female agent and not as James Bond or anyone in the James Bond movies to my knowledge.

Both games are vary similar too, Perfect Dark having more features than 007 Goldeneye did and being both made by the developer called RARE
« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 01:00:46 pm by oldgamerz »

NO APPS NEEDED

ferraroso

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2020, 08:57:31 pm »
Kinda unrelated, but for some reason, I always mistake Perfect Dark for Fear Effect...