Author Topic: Is windows xp still being used  (Read 1852 times)

Is windows xp still being used
« on: May 21, 2020, 07:36:40 pm »
Allow me to explain like some of you guys I preferred physical media over digital any day too as well & I will admit again that I buy,I still buy,I love,I still love,I play & I still play the classics,retro games,anime classics,old school anime & manga classics & yes I'm including for pc,hentai & Japanese games. Don't worry sooner or later I will get even more into pc gaming & I will build myself a windows xp gaming pc or you guys can say I will build myself a ultimate windows xp gaming pc. Like some of us otakus,weebs,gamers,final fantasy fan/huge fans & hentai fans I might be picky when it comes down to modern sorry.

& lol normies can have the cloud/streaming only gaming while I'm enjoying physical media over digital any day & I don't know if I should laugh at normies if they ever get kicked out or banned when I'm enjoying physical media over digital any day including the classics & retro games & lol I know some normies will sooner or later start to ask what am I doing when if I'm enjoying physical media over digital any day & I might start to say playing 1 of my favorite games when I'm gaming & lol I know sooner or later some people will start to call me old or boomer.

I just wondering if windows xp still being used or not? Thanks & thanks again for sharing your honest opinions about windows xp & if you guys wish to say what should I install like should I install windows xp,windows 7,windows 8,windows 10,Linux or it doesn't matter feel free :).
« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 07:38:28 pm by eaglelord9814 »

tpugmire

Re: Is windows xp still being used
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2020, 08:00:21 pm »
I have a couple windows xp machines around. They’re not online anymore, but I use them to play old discs that I have. I also have a windows 95 machine that actually gets more use than the xp one.
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2020, 09:32:41 pm »
I used to work at a walk in tech support clinic and we still got a fair amount of XP machines come in even though this was several years after MS pulled the plug on supporting it. Most of the people clinging to it were old people and boomers who refused to update for one reason or another, mostly because they didn't want to deal with the change to Windows 7, 8, or 10, and their non-tech friends had told them horror stories about the newer Windows OSes. We weren't allowed to support the OS since it was no longer officially supported, but we could offer them advise or refer them to computer repair shops that would.

But yes, for gaming people still have them and as long as you don't connect them to the internet there's nothing wrong with that. While I don't have an XP machine, I have a Windows 98 gaming PC with pretty high end hardware from the late 90s. Excellent for laying Mechwarrior 3 and other games that struggle on anything but their original OSes.

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2020, 10:05:19 pm »
Keep in mine I think a Windows XP machine may have hardware limits. Someone in my family works on computers and told me the Windows XP only works properly with a maximum of 4GB of RAM and maybe only a 2TB harddrive

PC gaming is not like console gaming it takes a lot more knowledge to operate then any standard tv video game console does

I am not sure so someone please correct me if I'm not telling truth
« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 10:07:29 pm by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2020, 11:34:42 pm »
& lol normies can have the cloud/streaming only gaming while I'm enjoying physical media over digital any day & I don't know if I should laugh at normies if they ever get kicked out or banned when I'm enjoying physical media over digital any day including the classics & retro games & lol I know some normies will sooner or later start to ask what am I doing when if I'm enjoying physical media over digital any day & I might start to say playing 1 of my favorite games when I'm gaming & lol I know sooner or later some people will start to call me old or boomer.

I gotta say, not a huge fan of this gatekeeping. But that's off topic and just me complaining, nobody wants to hear that. Yeah, I use Windows XP and Windows 95 for retro gaming through VMs. It works well enough, but when I play retro games, it usually is on console, unless the game is a PC exclusive so I don't use it very much. It is fun to go back and use the old OSes for nostalgia's sake, too.

tripredacus

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2020, 09:47:38 am »
Keep in mine I think a Windows XP machine may have hardware limits. Someone in my family works on computers and told me the Windows XP only works properly with a maximum of 4GB of RAM and maybe only a 2TB harddrive

PC gaming is not like console gaming it takes a lot more knowledge to operate then any standard tv video game console does

I am not sure so someone please correct me if I'm not telling truth

Windows XP Pro 32bit, sort of, has those hardware limits. Being a 32bit operating system, it uses 32bit addressing, and thus has maximum values that it can recognise for things like RAM and partition sizes that include bootable volumes. For RAM, the maximum addressable size is ~4.2 GB. As with all Windows computers, that number is then lowered by hardware addressed memory, then shared memory and then operating system overhead. The numbers shown in the "available" section in Computer Properties can be deceiving because it is not reflective of the true amount of memory that is free. There are methods to increase addressable memory, notably PAE, but this should only be used in certain situations.

For the disk size, the maximum amount of addressable space on a 32bit OS with an MBR disk is 2.2 TB. however it is theoretically possible to get at least 4 TB on MBR using 2 partitions. I say theoretically because, while this has been proven on Windows 7 32bit, there haven't been any inroads or continuing work on getting Windows XP to view the partitions properly. It is known that it would require UNIATA at least, but it may also require hardware modification such as the sector translators found in some USB hard disk enclosures. Windows XP 32bit cannot read contents of a GPT disk of any size except for those that are going through sector translators. I haven't looked into research done on this to see if anyone got it to work with just software.

Windows XP 64bit, not known for being a gaming OS, particularly because it lacks the 16-bit compatibility as the 32-bit OS... which means that a lot of early XP games cannot run or cannot install because the subsystem is missing. It does not have the 4 GB addressable memory limit. It cannot have a bootable volume on a GPT disk, the disk the OS is on must be MBR. It can use a GPT disk (volume sizes larger than 2.2 TB) as data only. I have not been involved in or looked into any research for XP x64.

As for original question, the only Windows XP computer that I currently use is my second notebook. For me, computers have a purpose for use and that Windows XP notebook is designed specifically for accessing TLS 1.0 and 1.1 interfaces. It is not fully set up yet, I am in the process of installing RAM overlay and still need to figure out which firewall I want to put on it.