Author Topic: What price do you typically buy your modern games for?  (Read 4242 times)

pzeke

Re: What price do you typically buy your modern games for?
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2020, 01:14:31 pm »
I think eBay is a very good tool of valuation, especially filtering to show only the sold items.

That’s what people are willing to pay for an item.

It would be lovely if everyone sold everything for a dime but to say you can’t respect people who don’t is pretty shortsighted.

Fully agree.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

Warmsignal

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2020, 03:09:27 pm »
Just venting my general frustration with eBay as a platform, and the way people use it while asking you to hold up, as they check to see how much to charge you for something they're in possession of. Shallow? Yes, I will complain but then of course I'm going to go crawling back. eBay to me just feels less legitimate as a pillar of valuation because there's so much that seems entirely arbitrary about it. Look up Powerslave for the Saturn and then observe 4 to 5 separate listings all by the same seller, selling different copies of the game but taking all different backgrounds photos and wording slightly different. It gives the false impression that the game is generally perceived to be worth those extremely similar prices he's asking for all of them. Seems like market manipulation to me. I've seen games go from being priced at next to nothing, to hundreds of dollars with no precedent of such a price increase on any record. That to me, is a form of dishonesty that has lasting influence. So then the next seller who comes along looking to sell the same title, suddenly also feels they should get a similar high amount, etc.

Prior to eBay's BIN option and prior to eBay, people had to pay for books with information on auction records and store sales for collectibles like coins, and baseball cards. Call it pedantic, but I find it to be an art that has been lost, in large part due to the nature and ease of using eBay. Even still, quoting a price on an ended auction from eBay I can respect somewhat, because I feel like that is legitimately a show of what buyers feel it's worth and not simply what a seller pulled out of the air. After all, there is such a thing as overpaying. eBay is no Kelley Blue Book. Condition is often not taken to effect value. No one can even agree on what condition is. There's just so many problems. The list could go on, and on.

Making a profit is fine, I'm certainly not above it. I only pointed out that I made no profit because that sale you quoted needed some context. It wasn't sold for profit. Normally, I'd prefer to sell low not for any moral or ethical reason but so it will sell faster, because I am greedy and want money now and not in three months from now when someone finally breaks down and pays me more than they wanted to. In terms of sales, a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush is the way I see it.

However, I don't want to derail Seether's thread for focusing on the politics of eBay and market values. It is what it is, more people agree with it than those who don't and that much I will concede.

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2020, 10:09:32 pm »
If it's a game I'm absolutely dying to play and plan on playing it immediately, I'll pay full price on it. However, 90% of new games I have some sort of interest in, I'm much more inclined to wait 2 to 6-months and pick it up for 50-75% of its original MSRP.
This goes for me too.

How often do you pay full retail price for a game?
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2020, 03:44:37 am »
I think regardless of anything related to the video game itself - $60 is a chunk of change (to earn that after income tax you’re probably going to be at your job a few hours) and games are inherently depreciating commodities so whatever the game is, it’s market price is typically going to be half or less in a couple months and with that in mind is it ever really worth getting a game for that day one price?

There’s an opportunity cost when you buy a game full retail. It’s like this game may be worth $60 - but I could have used that on any number of other things.

I only spend full retail when I’m really excited for a game and this may only occur a couple times a year.

ferraroso

Re: How often do you pay full retail price for a game?
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2020, 04:01:09 am »
The last game I paid full price for was Ace Combat 7 over a year ago. And before that... maybe, Metal Gear Solid V? Haha
I think this must say a lot about what I think about paying full price for a new game nowadays...

« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2020, 07:40:43 am »
I'll buy certain games on day 1, usually Nintendo games as they rarely come down in price or stay at that price for a very long time.

telekill

« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2020, 08:35:44 am »
Generally, I'll pay full price for most games I'm interested in during the current gen. I don't have a problem paying the tab for games that really interest me. People spent a lot of time making these and they deserve their cut. If a game failed to get my hype train going though, it'll wait for a price drop down to the 50% or so mark. I'll usually grab a game during Black Friday.

I also no longer buy collector's editions or strategy guides. Uncharted 4 was a great send off to that practice. Anymore though, most collector's editions are way too expensive and generally come with useless items that will simply collect dust. If another Uncharted is released, I may be tempted depending on price and what it comes with as I already have an Uncharted nerd shelf display.

« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2020, 09:05:33 am »
Maybe once a year?  There are so many deals constantly rotating that unless I want one specific thing (usually because I think it might eventually be hard to find) I can wait.

EDIT: Thought it was a seether repost, but its just someone rez posting one of his topics.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2020, 12:26:18 pm by Cartagia »

telly

« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2020, 10:44:33 am »
I buy full price games on occasion if it's something that I'm really interested in. Looking over the stuff I've added to my collection over the past few years, I paid full price for:

- Ace Combat 7
- Hollow Knight
- Mega Man Zero/ZX Legacy Collection
- Pokemon Moon
- Shenmue I+II
- Yu Gi Oh! Legacy of the Duelist digitally on PS4
- Undertale
- A bunch of Limited Run games

But as you can see most of those are not $60 retail. I think the only one on that list that's $60 is Ace Combat 7
Currently Playing:
DOOM (PS4)

My music collection | My Backloggery

« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2020, 01:12:03 pm »
Thought it was a seether repost, but its just someone rez posting one of his topics.

No, it was a repost. Mods just merged it with the previous topic.

« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2020, 02:43:49 pm »
Thought it was a seether repost, but its just someone rez posting one of his topics.

No, it was a repost. Mods just merged it with the previous topic.

Well, I'm not losing my mind, so that's good.

« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2020, 02:28:04 pm »
Usually it depends on the game and how it is released.

For games that LRG, Playasia, Strictly Limited and the like release, it's full price and on the day of release  :)

However, i tend to wait out most games to see their market prices. Sometimes it pays off, sometimes it doesn't.
I manage to pick up most PS4 games for £10-£15.
There are the odd few that i pay a bit more for, but they're few and far between.

And when it comes to CE's i tend to pay full price for a new copy, never liked buying CE's second hand  :p