Author Topic: Recent survival/crafting game recommendations...  (Read 1927 times)

Recent survival/crafting game recommendations...
« on: May 24, 2020, 10:15:55 pm »
While I do enjoy a well designed narrative, or crazy action rides, I also really love more casual survival/crafting oriented experiences.   This ranges from everything like Terraria, Animal Crossing, Minecraft, and Stardew Valley, to more intense stuff like The Forest, Subnautica, DayZ, and so on.  Not that these are the same types of games, they just fill that certain need I have to dump a bajillion hours into what comes across as more of a time waster experience than having something I play from a beginning to an end with a plot and characters, while also letting me play them while running a podcast.

Anyone know of anything that's come out in the past year or two that they'd recommend?  Preferably on PC, but I could play it on PS4 also as long as it's not a first person game on there.  I've heard of like Green Hell, which reminds me a lot of The Forest, but wasn't sure if it was any good.  I know there's Raft, but I'm not super into that world setting and gameplay loop.  I saw that Deadside was kinda DayZ-like, but more basic with AI enemies.  One I'm eagerly waiting for is the Subnautica standalone expansion.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 10:38:22 pm by kamikazekeeg »

Re: Recent survival/crafting game recommendations...
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2020, 04:59:07 pm »
I really adore the Dragon Quest Builder games, it's a jrpg minecraft. It's cute, funny, and the story mode leads into a free build mode.

As for Stardew Valley and Animal Crossing the new Story of season remake of Mineral Town is coming out this July. Also Rune Factory 4 Special came out last year. If you don't have a switch (since you said Animal crossing I just took a guess you may have one) Story of Seasons Doraemon is available on PC. I haven't played that one yet, but it looks super nice.

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2020, 05:14:35 pm »
I really adore the Dragon Quest Builder games, it's a jrpg minecraft. It's cute, funny, and the story mode leads into a free build mode.

As for Stardew Valley and Animal Crossing the new Story of season remake of Mineral Town is coming out this July. Also Rune Factory 4 Special came out last year. If you don't have a switch (since you said Animal crossing I just took a guess you may have one) Story of Seasons Doraemon is available on PC. I haven't played that one yet, but it looks super nice.

I played the first Dragon Quest Builder game, but it wasn't quite appealing to me.  Did the sequel do much to improve or enhance the original? I might be willing to give it another shot.  I'll check out the Story of Seasons stuff to.

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2020, 12:57:27 am »
Forager (PC, PS4, & Switch)is the only recent one I've played. A charming little game with tons of different ways to upgrade and tackle it. Bit of an immense slog though if you want to go for all achievements.

I've also got Stranded Sails on my "will play soon" list. It looks like a pirate-themed Harvest Moon style game, but as I haven't played it yet, so no opinions right now.

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2020, 09:17:04 pm »
Just to add to this as I brought it up in my initial post, but steer clear of Deadside on PC.  I know its in Early Access, but its pretty Early Access lol Gave it a quick run and then refunded it, the movement doesn't feel good, I can't tell if it's the movement itself or it was kinda laggy, but I played on two different servers with the same feel and I had under 50 ping on both.  The sound effects are really bad and the map is pretty empty, despite them seemingly only having released a small portion of the map.  A big no on this.