Author Topic: So how about them multiple disc games?  (Read 1734 times)

So how about them multiple disc games?
« on: June 17, 2020, 10:23:57 pm »
X-Com 2 Collection, Final Fantasy 7 Remake, Mortal Kombat 11 Aftermath, probably Last of Us 2...it's nice to see some 2-disc games on shelves again, at least forPS4. It's a stark contrast to the games that make you download big chunks of them despite being physical, like Resident Evil Origins for Switch or the silly Season Pass discs from Telltale.

Re: So how about them multiple disc games?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2020, 11:06:00 pm »
TIL that MK11 Aftermath comes on two discs. I was under the impression that Aftermath was the base game and a DLC code for the content.

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2020, 02:35:44 am »
This is how it always should of been, not Game of the year Editions giving you the slip with a code - I 100% fully approve of this!

Shadow of War: Definitive Edition (EU version, not USA!) is one of the early games to do this with it's DLC.

Sadly we never got the MK11 Aftermath release in the UK, but it if it dual-disced I might actually import it - That's a testament to how appealing Complete Editions done right are. NeverRealm have really been on point with their Complete Edition releases so props to them.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2020, 03:01:13 am by vivigamer »

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2020, 06:15:31 am »
Sadly we never got the MK11 Aftermath release in the UK, but it if it dual-disced I might actually import it - That's a testament to how appealing Complete Editions done right are. NeverRealm have really been on point with their Complete Edition releases so props to them.

It's only like a week old, so its entirely possible it may still make it across.

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2020, 01:07:35 pm »
This is how it always should of been, not Game of the year Editions giving you the slip with a code - I 100% fully approve of this!

Shadow of War: Definitive Edition (EU version, not USA!) is one of the early games to do this with it's DLC.

This so much. They did the same with MK Komplete Edition as well as MKXL so glad to see that despite the increase in size, they managed to pull off having the content on disc even if it requires 2 discs

dhaabi

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2020, 05:32:55 pm »
I wasn't aware that modern titles--though it seems they're far and few between--had instances of releasing with multiple discs, although it's definitely not something one should expect. This makes me feel a little better despite the direction that gaming has been moving in and continues to move in by pushing everything digital. With the Xbox One S All-Digital Edition and PlayStation 5 Digital Editions existing (and very well possible to exist for the Xbox Series X at some point), I'm definitely now concerned that the subsequent tenth generation will be fully digital with zero physical releases.

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2020, 08:29:13 pm »
Last of Us 2 is out now, and it does have 2 discs. So does Red Dead 2, at least on PS4.

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2020, 07:12:16 am »
X-Com 2 Collection, Final Fantasy 7 Remake, Mortal Kombat 11 Aftermath, probably Last of Us 2...it's nice to see some 2-disc games on shelves again, at least forPS4. It's a stark contrast to the games that make you download big chunks of them despite being physical, like Resident Evil Origins for Switch or the silly Season Pass discs from Telltale.

Just so we're clear on Mortal Kombat 11: Aftermath, the two discs are a download disc & a game play disc. That's similar to Grand Theft Auto V for the Xbox 360. Frankly, I think its ridiculous having two discs for that purpose. What is so crazy is that after I inserted the download disc & loaded the game, after I inserted the game play disc, it still had to load in order for me to access all of the characters (including the base characters) & stages. Not to mention, it had to go through an update, which seemed to take about as long as it did for me to download the game from the download disc.

If you're going to have a multiple discs for a game, there should be content on that other disc. For those who bought Mortal Kombat: Deception Premium Pack, got two discs. They got the vanilla game on one disc & an arcade perfect version of Mortal Kombat 1 on the second disc.

telekill

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2020, 10:52:58 am »
I wonder if PS5 discs will have the same capacity as PS4 discs or if they'll hold more making the need of a second disc unnecessary?