Author Topic: Advanced Style Guide update and feedback thread  (Read 22173 times)

tripredacus

Advanced Style Guide update and feedback thread
« on: June 09, 2020, 12:07:11 pm »
I've been working on a more advanced Style Guide. This shows up as a forum section.
This is not meant to replace the existing one, but to help explain some of the details in how entries should be handled. If you want more details, go into there. The current Style Guide isn't going anywhere, this is just to supplement it.
The goal is to not only provide examples of specific things, but also get rid of any "unwritten rules" that we follow but were never put into the Style Guide thread in the VGDB section. It will also be used to layout the different releases and overall variations, tied to a database category.

It is currently in progress and not yet ready for mainstream, although the information is correct.

It has been visible to site staff for awhile now, but this post is being made to announce that we have enabled PRO members to see the section. This is done because we want feedback on it before we roll it out for everyone.

Information looking for:
- any photo examples to use where photo examples do not exist. If you have a photo example of a different entry than is highlighted, we can change it, but the entry must be correct before we can link to it.
- if something is not written out well, too long or not long enough.
- anything on the existing posts that was missed.

After the Advanced Style Guide has been completed, it will be set so all members can see it. And the individual category threads will be added as time goes on.

Thread title history:
- Pro Members can see the Advanced Style Guide
- All Members can see the Advanced Style Guide
- Advanced Style Guide update and feedback thread
« Last Edit: July 28, 2020, 09:46:01 am by tripredacus »

telly

Re: Advanced Style Guide update and feedback thread
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2020, 04:49:34 pm »
I think the "When to use non-latin titles" could use a little more clarity especially concerning Japanese and Korean games, etc. The example provided only has katakana which we treat differently for naming than hirigana/kanji

I would revise this "The order in which we determine the number to input is:" to something along the lines of "The priority list of which number is added to the item number field in the DB is:" or something similar.

When making the "Description" post, would you like users to adopt an particular formatting when typing in extra item numbers, etc? Seems like it's just personal preference to use "item number" vs "item #", etc. Same thing with how we format the box text into the DB.

Some things I didn't see but might be important (may have missed them)
- Sealed games with different art getting different listings
- Physical games that come with a special code being split into swag
- Category preferences for pack-in games and accessories (which I'm sure you know more about than I do)

Were you looking for photo examples of these?
Other common descriptors:
- cardboard box
- Not for Resale
- Promotional Copy
- Made in x
- Re-rated titles

Anything in particular you would like help with?

(not sure where you would like us to provide thoughts either haha)

Such a great comprehensive addition to the SG that I'm excited to see fully rolled out!  :)
« Last Edit: June 09, 2020, 05:14:24 pm by telly »
Currently Playing:
DOOM (PS4)

My music collection | My Backloggery

tripredacus

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2020, 10:03:13 am »
When making the "Description" post, would you like users to adopt an particular formatting when typing in extra item numbers, etc? Seems like it's just personal preference to use "item number" vs "item #", etc. Same thing with how we format the box text into the DB.

Yes that is a long time coming, no one uses the same formatting when putting that info in description and we'll definiately need to get that sorted out some day. There should be a thread and a poll to follow later at some point once we get some good discussion going on it. If that hasn't been done before the Style Guide forum goes public, it will just have what kind of info we are looking for, but not have anything about how to format it.

Some of the things that you bring up, but aren't listed, may end up going into the category threads. Such as the "other common descriptors" which also includes things brought up in that section already, so they would get removed. For example the "Made in x" is prevalent with only certain consoles with reprints, such as Sega Genesis grid box games. Having that information there would make more sense I think.

The sealed games with different covers are descriptors section with the three Retro City Rampage DX examples.

What is the code that goes into swag?

As for contributions, the main guide may not need many pictures. It may make more sense later when the identification threads get added.

Anyways, this is the type of feedback I was looking for. Thanks.

telly

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2020, 10:06:00 am »

Like when a physical PC release has a box with a code in it and no media. That's what I was referring to.

Currently Playing:
DOOM (PS4)

tripredacus

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2020, 10:14:49 am »

Like when a physical PC release has a box with a code in it and no media. That's what I was referring to.

They shouldn't go into swag. Do you mean the inserts inside of the box?
Like, Battlefield 1 for PC is in the game category, even though it is just a plastic box with paper in it. The case doesn't even have a nub for a disc.
https://vgcollect.com/item/113806

telly

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2020, 10:36:33 am »

Like, Battlefield 1 for PC is in the game category, even though it is just a plastic box with paper in it. The case doesn't even have a nub for a disc.

Ha, I must be mistaken then, I couldn't find what I was looking for in the database.  :-[
Currently Playing:
DOOM (PS4)

tripredacus

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2020, 11:39:22 am »

Ha, I must be mistaken then, I couldn't find what I was looking for in the database.  :-[

Perhaps you were refering to LEs that have extra items that aren't part of the game package, but shipped together. Those extra things go into swag.

telly

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2020, 02:23:06 pm »
For description, what about companies that distributed a certain game, separate from the developer/publisher?

Example:
https://vgcollect.com/item/37075
Currently Playing:
DOOM (PS4)

tripredacus

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2020, 02:36:47 pm »
For description, what about companies that distributed a certain game, separate from the developer/publisher?

Example:
https://vgcollect.com/item/37075

We do not always have a good source of publisher data. The information we can find on other websites like mobygames are not actually sourced to anything official that I'm aware of. For this entry on that site, it says the publisher is Black Label Games, but on the item itself, it says it is published and distributed by Universal Interactive and Konami. So the description isn't incorrect, it is just incomplete. I think that because we have limited choices concerning a drop-down, that additional companies involved with a release can be put into the Description.

telly

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2020, 12:58:44 pm »
Thought for item names:

I know we aren't putting in special symbols, but what about when the letters are upside down or sideways?

For example:
https://vgcollect.com/item/146432
Currently Playing:
DOOM (PS4)

tripredacus

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2020, 10:05:26 am »
∀ is largely a logic operator and not an inverted A. I do not know the games lore to know why this characters is used that way. In any case, it should be already covered in the letter replacement portion, with the Idolmaster example where the @ is replacing an a.

tripredacus

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2020, 10:52:58 am »
I think the "When to use non-latin titles" could use a little more clarity especially concerning Japanese and Korean games, etc. The example provided only has katakana which we treat differently for naming than hirigana/kanji

I added a Jang Pung 3 example. Is that what you mean? If not, please provide examples that currently have entries and explain.

Also, the main content of the Advanced thread is done. The text like this are instances where I want to put an example in but can't think of or find an example entry to use. If anyone can provide examples of those, it would be helpful.

I'd like for a final run-down of that thread for any particular issues that are seen. Or if you want pictures of some of the text-only descriptions, let me know. We make make the section available before having the red line items being filled out.

telly

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2020, 11:58:15 am »
game compatibility example

I don't know if any of these are correct, but here's some examples that you might like

Dual format game boy games. Or super game boy enhanced games.

https://vgcollect.com/item/9651
https://vgcollect.com/item/8513

Or xbox games that say whether they're compatible with the 360 or not

Compatibilite example: https://vgcollect.com/item/133752

Not compatible example: https://vgcollect.com/item/393
Currently Playing:
DOOM (PS4)

tripredacus

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2020, 12:09:00 pm »
Platform post should be done.
Need examples of the built-in 3DS games that we do not allow entries for. Just the names, I know those entries were deleted from the DB. The posts that reported them for deletion didn't specify the software names.

telly

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2020, 04:14:37 pm »
Platform post should be done.
Need examples of the built-in 3DS games that we do not allow entries for. Just the names, I know those entries were deleted from the DB. The posts that reported them for deletion didn't specify the software names.

Here's a few:

Face Raiders
Nintendo Zone
Nintendo 3DS Camera
Nintendo 3DS Sound
AR Games
EShop
Mii Plaza
Mii Maker
Currently Playing:
DOOM (PS4)