Author Topic: Removing stickers from game art  (Read 7475 times)

pzeke

Re: Removing stickers from game art
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2020, 10:31:14 pm »
sticker residue on cardboard boxes or cardridge labels first of all don't look to bad, 2nd of all you could still easily ruin the box if you try to remove that perfectly with certain chemicals, but that's just my opinion.

Still I hardly believe your using hot water to remove sticker residue from cardboard boxes.

Sheesh, dude, I’m not telling OP to douse his games in radioactive waste. The recommendations I made were given with a caveat on the side, so he either takes them or don’t.

I personally try to keep anything in my collection free of any type of foreign crap; I don’t like store stickers, ads, labels, someone else’s name, etc., I make sure to take all that shit off as soon as I can. And yes, I have used hot water to remove stickers, like price tags off some N64 boxes for instance, including strategy guides. In fact, here’s an example. Before I submitted the front and back art for that guide, I removed one Blockbuster price tag and one standard price tag that were on the front with hot water and another one on the back that wouldn’t budge with acetone using the exact same method I told OP. The hot water made it easy to peel each sticker off the front without a hitch, no residue to speak of either. And by the way, cold water often works, too.

With plastic boxes like ps2 genesis or them plastic carts, sure you'd remove it every time than no risk there easily done. and considering it takes some effort even in those cases, with lables and especially cardboard boxes you cant use the same power and have to do it carefully. chemicals could easily ruin the color of the box.

Cleaning those isn’t that difficult. For keepcases with the plastic sleeve all you have to do is remove everything, leaving the case, for all intents and purposes naked and clean it accordingly with whatever product tickles your fancy. For cardboard boxes simply use a micro fiber towel and give it a good rub until is clean enough for you. Hell, as long as you’re careful—and I said careful—you could use a slightly wet paper towel, emphasize slightly, to clean cardboard boxes that seem a bit dirtier. I remember I got an empty box for Pokémon Stadium years ago from someone on eBay who advertised it as like new, mint-looking pictures and all, but I ended up receiving a dirty box that I cleaned using a dry napkin fist, then a slightly wet paper towel to finish taking the dirt off. After that I used a micro fiber towel and the box looked, and still looks like new.

sticker residue keeps it authentic aswell, or if the sticker looks nice with the name of the game in a less obvious spot it I usually let it be since it looks nice than

Pfft. Get the fuck outta here with that nonsense!

And by the way, nowhere does OP mention he’s trying to deal with sticker residue, just a sticker on top of the original label.

By the way, OP, any chance you could share an image or two of the stickers in question? This whole racket has piqued my interest on this sticky situation far more than I’m willing to admit.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 10:33:42 pm by pzeke »

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

byron

« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2020, 11:52:33 am »
I agree with the sentiment that stickers can add interesting provenance to a game. Knowing a cartridge's history can make it unique. Several of my games have stickers from defunct video stores on them, which I preserve. One has a Sphinx logo on it, says it's from King Tut's Video Palace or something like that. How is that not cool?

pzeke

« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2020, 03:51:02 pm »
Hey, whatever tickles your pickle.

When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2020, 12:02:10 pm »
I'm for leaving stickers, generally, but I'll take off anything that's easy and comes off without much effort. I kind of like having "Alex from NoWhere, Vermont's" name tattoo'd on there. The Video Rental store stickers are kinda neat too. Price tags and stuff come off though, when there's no risk of damaging the box/cart art.

@Pzeke, I've never tried acetone (don't mess with the stuff much personally) but alcohol, warm water (with or without soap depending on the situation) are go to's for sticker goo. I like Goo Gone, but it can be rough on the labels themselves. I'm with you on sticker residue though. It not only makes the cases/cartridges stick together on the shelf, but can peel away the stickers/art from other games. Get that stuff off ASAP!!!

The worst are the old GameStop yellow used game labels from the early 2000's. They put them on the spine, UNDER the plastic on disc sleeves... WHY!? They're virtually impossible to get off without damaging the original art.

pzeke

« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2020, 03:41:10 pm »
One thing that I forgot to mention in my previous posts is that it has to be 100% acetone. While it's really good at what it does, it has to be handled with care - a single drop on the cover art or anything else other than the case and you'll rue the day. As I recommended, it's best to strip the case of everything so that you can clean it as vigorously as possible. Some stickers will still prove to be a nuisance, so in those instances your best course of action is to take a napkin and souse it with enough liquid, placing it on top of the sticker for at least a minute or two. This will make it easy to pry the sticker off.

Similar to isopropyl alcohol, acetone can also be used to clean sealed games, as well as removing stickers and any writing done by markers, like Sharpie. Acetone does not work with polystyrene, meaning you're better off cleaning jewel cases with isopropyl alcohol.

The worst are the old GameStop yellow used game labels from the early 2000's. They put them on the spine, UNDER the plastic on disc sleeves... WHY!? They're virtually impossible to get off without damaging the original art.

Tell me about it! I once bought a lot of 30something PS2 games, and nearly all of them had that stupid sticker on the actual spine of the cover art. It took me a whole week to properly take all the stickers off using the same method I detailed a few posts back.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 12:50:18 pm by pzeke »

« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2020, 01:19:17 pm »
I like to use photoshop to remove stickers and other damage.

pzeke

« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2020, 11:34:12 pm »
I like to use photoshop to remove stickers and other damage.