Author Topic: Horror genre  (Read 1215 times)

kevininja

Horror genre
« on: June 18, 2020, 05:57:01 am »
So I know that Survival Horror is one of the options in the Genres list, but what about just a plain Horror genre? I've been wanting to edit some Horror titles but they're not exactly Survival Horror.

Re: Horror genre
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2020, 06:25:12 am »
What titles are you referring to?

kevininja

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2020, 08:47:06 am »
What titles are you referring to?

Not anything specific but I was editing some PSN (PS4) entries and Distraint was one of those games where Survival Horror didn't fit.

shfan

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2020, 09:09:52 am »
Video game genres are more to do with gameplay than theme, so whereas survival horror is a subset of action adventure games with more emphasis on avoiding combat or picking your battles, horror in general is more of a non-game theme (like movies, novels etc.) If it's not survival horror it'll more likely fit into something along the lines of adventure, action adventure or action genres.

EDIT: Just checked Distraint, it's described as an adventure game. It hasn't helped that a lot of sources have taken the concept of 'psychological horror' and then tried to mould it into a video game genre, which it isn't and can't be because it's got nothing to do with gameplay and everything to do with plot and sound/visual feedback.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2020, 09:14:27 am by shfan »

kevininja

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2020, 01:51:46 pm »
Video game genres are more to do with gameplay than theme, so whereas survival horror is a subset of action adventure games with more emphasis on avoiding combat or picking your battles, horror in general is more of a non-game theme (like movies, novels etc.) If it's not survival horror it'll more likely fit into something along the lines of adventure, action adventure or action genres.

EDIT: Just checked Distraint, it's described as an adventure game. It hasn't helped that a lot of sources have taken the concept of 'psychological horror' and then tried to mould it into a video game genre, which it isn't and can't be because it's got nothing to do with gameplay and everything to do with plot and sound/visual feedback.

You know what? I actually can see where you're coming from.

Maybe a regular Horror genre isn't really needed at all. If anyone could close this topic, thanks!  ;)

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2020, 07:02:12 am »
While I can't suggest any titles that are just simply "horror games" & not "survival horror games", there are titles that should be listed as "interactive". Some of those titles would include:

Late Shift
The Complex
The Bunker
Simulacara
The Shapeshifting Detective
The Infectious Madness of Doctor Dekker

Most of these are FMV games that play similar to a movie, then at certain points you have to select what action, how you intend to handle a situation, or what to say when prompted. The choices you make affect the what you see next & the ending. I've been messing around with The Complex & have unlocked three of the nine endings. One of the problems I have is I'll get to thinking I'm watching a regular movie, set my controller down & when a situation comes up where I need to select an action, I won't realize it until its too late & I miss out on making a selection.