Author Topic: Do You Think Most Of The PlayStation 1 Library Is Being Ignored  (Read 3889 times)

wartoy

PRO Supporter

Re: Do You Think Most Of The PlayStation 1 Library Is Being Ignored
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2020, 03:19:09 pm »
I didn't expect to get much of a reaction, let alone have someone curate a sizable list of games I never heard of that actually sound kind of intriguing. I didn't know The Neverhood had a spinoff platformer...

Thanks Wartoy, I really appreciate that.
No problem always happy to help a fellow gamer.

« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2020, 06:26:37 pm »
I enjoy PS1 Games, but I confess I don't hunt out for obscure titles like I do later generations - Well not so much on the PS4 there is far to much trash released on the PS Store every week!

I have 100+ Games & Still plenty I need to go back to and experience. I can't recall the last PS1 game I actually bought. nor is there any game on my radar to get either.

I did recently play Ronin Blade / Soul of the Samurai and had a blast.

I think honestly what may have hurt it is the lack of availability this generation. The PS3 could play pretty much all PS1 games, while the PS4 has had no equivalent - Not even a downloadable option. So due to the lack of accessibility I can see why the popularity may have dwindled down.

Also, I very rarely use my PS1 Discs anymore. I have a modded PS1 Classic which is a Dream to play on - Don't get huffy with my about piracy, I have 100+ physical games :P I guess many people emulate PS1 games these days not just for convince/price but also performance! I don't even have a powered PC but look at the difference between PS1 on the PS3 Emu & PC:

Also the rise in price doesn't help & PS1 discs lack the protection Blu-Rays seem to have so I can see why many might not see the appeal in collecting them. I'm personally glad I have mine, but I am also quite content on what I have already.
That does look a lot better in the 2nd photo of the "PC EMU", I ran one game PS1 game in my PC's optical drive before and surprisingly it was somehow, and somewhat playable.

Now technically speaking you can smooth out the PlayStation 1 graphics with a PlayStation 3, for a more clearer graphics by first starting the game with the PS1 disc and by pressing the PS3 center button (on the PlayStation 3 controller), than selecting one of the options and turn smoothing on.

However I no longer do that. here is a technical doc with this mentioned

https://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps3/current/settings/gamesettings.html
« Last Edit: July 13, 2020, 07:41:15 pm by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2020, 02:12:11 pm »
I sure as hell don't ignore it. I LOVE the PS1. Easily one of my favorite consoles, ever. It has an amazingly large and varied library of games. This was a time when everyone, big or small companies, were experimenting with games. 3D was still a new thing for home consoles, and changed the way we played and looked at games. so companies were still trying to figure out what worked and what didn't. And that made such a great, varied styles of games out there.

My PS1 collection is my 2nd largest collection, only my PS2 collection is bigger, by one game.

Great RPGs, great platformers, great shoot-em ups, great light-gun games, great racing games, and a nice selection of PS1 exclusives. It sure as hell dominated that generation of gaming. Plus that iconic controller and sexy PS1 intro screen with the synthy bass, can't get better than that.

ps1gamercollector

« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2020, 02:07:33 pm »
It mostly depends on either you want a full set or not...

You have about 500 games worth to play (from average quality to masterpieces), everything else are fillers (sports, mixed gameplay, massive amount of very low quality budget games, etc).

If you want quality, you WILL ignore 60%+ of PS1 games, there is really nothing to see here. You either want to collect every single PS1 game in existence or you will want to collect games you will enjoy playing, that's pretty much it.

mark1982

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2020, 04:10:34 am »
The PS1 has a fantastic library, yeah sure there's plenty of shovelware but selection of quality titles always brought me back. On top of that, there are great Japanese titles that never made it over to US soil. Definitely not ignored by me.
  l    l 

Warmsignal

« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2020, 12:05:27 pm »
I think the PS1 certainly has a lot of lesser known titles that get lost in the sheer number of games for the system. I've been collecting games for over a decade now, and just when I think I've seen it all, I come across yet another PS1 title I've never heard of.

sworddude

« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2020, 12:29:07 pm »
Considering the rise in prices for even the more obsecure titles even years ago I'd say it's unfortunately not ignored

Sure there are some cheap gems left, but it's getting less and less as years go by for ps1 and ps2.
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2020, 10:19:04 am »
I really think it is, as I think most people should really get their hands on gems like R4: Ridge Racer Type 4, Tail Concerto, Steel Reign, etc. The PS1 has a ton of amazing games.