Author Topic: XM Radio  (Read 1378 times)

Warmsignal

XM Radio
« on: July 28, 2020, 11:05:14 pm »
I'm just kind of wondering where it fits in today's landscape of options for music listeners. Like, how many you listen to it regularly?

I ask because I recently bought a new car, and it came with a free trail for XM radio. I didn't expect much, but it kinda grew on me. Where I live standard radio is terrible, there's no selection of worthwhile stations to listen to. It's all pure crap. However, I was surprised to find that I actually enjoy quite a few of the channels on XM. I'm hearing a lot of stuff that I like, both familiar and new.

I've always been one for the compact disc format, myself. I usually would just throw a CD of something I like in, and let it cycle through the tracks until I'd get sick of it, and that's pretty much how I'd listen to most music. I never downloaded anything, and never stream music either. Which brings me to my only real complaint with XM, and that is fidelity. Same issue as with streaming from online. The playback is something like 192kbps in quality. It doesn't sound great. I'm a stickler for the best possible quality in sound, when listening to music. That aside, I do like the variety available. I once tried Pandora briefly and didn't like how it would play a lot of the same songs over, and over, and the advertisements were annoying, while XM is mostly ad free. I'm considering actually subscribing to it.

Does anyone here subscribe? If so, what do you mostly listen to? Apparently there's a lot of extra channels available through the app as well, but then you're cutting into data usage and I don't see that as a convenience really, since it's supposed to be satellite radio and all, but I'll probably look into it.

Re: XM Radio
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2020, 12:12:00 am »
I have yet even though I recently purchased a car that came with 2 months free of Sirius XM although by the look of the line up, it has some variety there. That said, since atm I'm just driving from home to work and vice-versa I usually just leave whats on the radio given that my commute isnt the long. That said, seeing this thread is giving me a reminder to try it out soon.

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2020, 12:42:38 am »
It came with my car several years ago and I had it for three months. I found that it suffered from some of the same issues as public radio, mainly you'd have an 80s rock station, or electronica station that has literally thousands of great songs they can play, yet they play the same 50-80 songs over and over again for a month or longer until mixing things up at all. Sure there's almost no commercials, but overall Spotify or Pandora are way, way better. It's definitely an outdated service that I can see going away in the next 10-years or so.

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2020, 08:26:43 am »
I've been a consistent subscriber since like 2009.  I do the stupid shenanigans where you threaten to cancel and they offer you 6 months at $4-5/month before fees.

I don't drive much anymore, being WFH, but now they've added internet listening to most subscriptions, so I listen to XM daily from my phone.

I've used Pandora in the past, but the ads were too much, and I've used Spotify once and it just didn't give me what I want out of a service.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 08:29:49 am by ignition365 »

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2020, 09:01:59 am »
It's OK, my mom had Sirius satellite radio in her car when she first got it for the  2 months free, my mom didn't like it, and since the FM radio plays stuff we both enjoy it's free and it's worth it. We got some good music stations FM around where I live.

You might want to look into Dish Network Satellite Television, because I got at least 3 different satellite radio companies probably close to 50 different genres of music channels to choose from totally. included with my cable television service package

Dish Network might allow you to use the music through the dish anywhere app. not sure, but you could ask. calling
1-800-333-3474.

I have Dish Network Satellite television service. but, I don't use the dish anywhere app. But it might be something I could look further into. "But do not get Dish Network Internet it is worst/slower than Dial-up in my experience

"Google AD"
Bring SiriusXM “Anywhere” with you
Through the “DISH Anywhere” feature, you'll be able to take Live TV channel with you right on your laptop, tablet or smartphone. This includes some SiriusXM channels. ... SiriusXM radio for DISH Network customers brings out the best for all music fans
« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 09:08:29 am by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2020, 10:39:37 am »
I'm a bit of a comedy nerd, so I just listened to the comedy channels when I had the free trial. I couldn't find anything worth paying for, aside from Howard Stern and I've been listening to his show for years using some less than legitimate sources.

tripredacus

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2020, 10:21:28 am »
I was still on my free trial for XM during the Rapture. It was cool but I had some reservations. The audio quality on most of the music stations were below FM quality, some where close to AM quality. There were only a couple of stations that had proper EQ set on them so that they sounded good. Another thing was that they got rid of the station I was listening to during the Rapture, so there really wasn't anything worthwhile for me to subscribe to.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2020, 07:28:33 pm »
I’ve been a subscriber since 2005. It was just Sirius at the time.
There’s good music on there that hits me right in the wheelhouse.
Channel 103 is Faction Talk. Covino and Rich are my boys. Check that show out. Jason Ellis is on that channel too. I like that show too.
As for music: 90s, Pop Rocks, Fly, Classic Rewind, Classic Vinyl, Octane, Turbo, BB King’s Bluesville ... there’s a shit-ton of cool channels.

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2020, 12:40:30 am »
I just use spotify. I've just find myself flipping radio channels  rarely findimg anything that I want to stock to. I also like spotify's related artist selection way more than Pandora's. I've foumd a lot of related artist thst I actually end up later checking out.