Author Topic: Are Any VGCollectors Also Movie Collectors?  (Read 2557 times)

dashv

PRO Supporter

Re: Are Any VGCollectors Also Movie Collectors?
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2020, 03:23:31 am »
Yes. :-)

« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2020, 03:33:00 am »
Honestly, I am a little hesitant to do so these days. I had over 1000+ DVDs and with the increase in resolution on modern TVs many of them just look awful now - Some still hold up strangely though!

So forward thinking, I can't often justify buying films these days. I will only buy something If it is a film I really admire. For instance I really enjoyed Marriage Story, one of the best films I've seen in a long time. I have pre-ordred that on Blu-ray as I know I'll watch that again.

Don't even get my started on Streaming services, There are just too many of them these days and the more the pop up the more content is spread among them and the services you do invest in offer less and become less valuable.

Flashback2012

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2020, 07:48:56 am »
Eh kinda. Thanks to Steelbooks, it's more realistic to say I'm a packaging collector of things that just happen to contain Blu-Rays/DVDs.

When DVD was the king format, I was more diverse in my movie purchases and at first the only pickiness I had was making sure the ones I bought were in Widescreen format. As the years went on, I became a bit more peculiar and waited to see if things like a director's cut or commemorative edition with a bunch of extras got released.

After Blu-Ray took over, I initially limited myself to mainly just animated releases like Disney/DreamWorks and super-hero/sci-fi/fantasy themed movies. Then Steelbooks became more mainstream so releases became more regular and I relaxed my genre restrictions some.  :P

oxymoronclaws

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2020, 09:55:50 am »
I'm mainly into Blu-Ray collecting (primarily Horror/Sci-Fi/World Cinema, although I like the occasional animated film). Does anyone use a similar website for cataloging their collection like we have here on VGC?

tripredacus

« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2020, 10:08:22 am »
Yes but I'm going through a reduction. I got to the point where I'd look at my collection and thinking I'd never watch something again. So now I have some limits to what I will keep based on shelf sizes. Since I haven't completed the refactoring, I had deleted my old numbers. I was at over 1000 for both DVD and VHS, but that is expected to be cut down by half for each.

Currently my formats I can watch are laid out as such:
16:9: UHD, BD/3D, HD-DVD, Widescreen DVD
4:3: Full Frame DVD, Widescreen VHS, LaserDisc, Dolby Surround VHS, VCD, Full Frame VHS (HiFi Stereo)

With exception of the widescreen VHS, since I don't have a 16:9 CRT or a SD 16:9 LCD, they get watched on the 4:3 set.
Other formats I own and "can" watch: Video8
Other formats I own but cannot watch due to no players: Beta, 8mm, CED, UMD, DiVX (not gold), BetaCam
Apparently I haven't updated by setups list, so I'll have to make due

HD Set
Set: Westinghouse HWM40F1Y1 (40" 1080P HD TV)
AVR: Onkyo TX-SR353 (4K, 5.1)
HD-DVD: Toshiba HD-A3
UHD: Sony UBP-X700
Fronts: Fisher ST-992
Rears/Center: Kenwood CRS-N551
Sub: Kenwood SW-36HT
misc: Rocketdock wireless speaker system for rears
connections: all HDMI

SD Set
Set: Sony KV-32FS100 (32" Trinitron)
AVR: Onkyo TX-SR600
VCR: Panasonic PV-V4522
LD: Panasonic LX-H670
BD: Sony BDP-S300
Fronts: Kenwood LS-N451
Rears: RCA SP120-11
Center: RCA 04-5014
Sub: shared on switch with HD Set

For the SD set, the Onkyo TX-SR600 is probably the third AVR I've used. It is chosen because:
a) it supports proper PLII for VHS Surround (which does not work properly on more modern receivers such as the Sony STR-DE597)
b) it has digital optical in so I can connect the LD player to it and not have to buy an additional decoder such as a Yamaha DDP-1
c) it has discrete 5CH input to match the 5CH output on the BD player.
So basically I can get surround on each of the components.

As noted above, I do have a Video8 player, specifically a VHS/Video8 combo deck. I only have 1 movie on Video8, Star Trek II, so it is more of a novelty really. I also do have a film projector, but it is a project. Also have a Beta and CED players, but they are in need of parts. CED player needs parts, Beta player has an undiagnosed problem.

I will eventually get a speaker comparator, so that I can use 1 set of rears with the rocketdock between the 2 AVRs.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2020, 11:34:46 am »
I also collect films on VHS, Beta, Laserdisc, DVD, HD-DVD, Blu-Ray and 4K. To me, not every film has to be a Blu or 4K copy. In fact, for many films SD versions are superior due to not having DNR removing grain and making everything waxy. I love many genres, but practical effects films are what I love the most.

Much truth to this post. Some movies are made to be standard definition. A lot of those old 70s drive-in flicks or 80s straight-to-video stuff. And yes, practical effects are the best.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2020, 11:37:14 am »
Yes but I'm going through a reduction. I got to the point where I'd look at my collection and thinking I'd never watch something again. So now I have some limits to what I will keep based on shelf sizes. Since I haven't completed the refactoring, I had deleted my old numbers. I was at over 1000 for both DVD and VHS, but that is expected to be cut down by half for each.

Currently my formats I can watch are laid out as such:
16:9: UHD, BD/3D, HD-DVD, Widescreen DVD
4:3: Full Frame DVD, Widescreen VHS, LaserDisc, Dolby Surround VHS, VCD, Full Frame VHS (HiFi Stereo)

With exception of the widescreen VHS, since I don't have a 16:9 CRT or a SD 16:9 LCD, they get watched on the 4:3 set.
Other formats I own and "can" watch: Video8
Other formats I own but cannot watch due to no players: Beta, 8mm, CED, UMD, DiVX (not gold), BetaCam
Apparently I haven't updated by setups list, so I'll have to make due

HD Set
Set: Westinghouse HWM40F1Y1 (40" 1080P HD TV)
AVR: Onkyo TX-SR353 (4K, 5.1)
HD-DVD: Toshiba HD-A3
UHD: Sony UBP-X700
Fronts: Fisher ST-992
Rears/Center: Kenwood CRS-N551
Sub: Kenwood SW-36HT
misc: Rocketdock wireless speaker system for rears
connections: all HDMI

SD Set
Set: Sony KV-32FS100 (32" Trinitron)
AVR: Onkyo TX-SR600
VCR: Panasonic PV-V4522
LD: Panasonic LX-H670
BD: Sony BDP-S300
Fronts: Kenwood LS-N451
Rears: RCA SP120-11
Center: RCA 04-5014
Sub: shared on switch with HD Set

For the SD set, the Onkyo TX-SR600 is probably the third AVR I've used. It is chosen because:
a) it supports proper PLII for VHS Surround (which does not work properly on more modern receivers such as the Sony STR-DE597)
b) it has digital optical in so I can connect the LD player to it and not have to buy an additional decoder such as a Yamaha DDP-1
c) it has discrete 5CH input to match the 5CH output on the BD player.
So basically I can get surround on each of the components.

As noted above, I do have a Video8 player, specifically a VHS/Video8 combo deck. I only have 1 movie on Video8, Star Trek II, so it is more of a novelty really. I also do have a film projector, but it is a project. Also have a Beta and CED players, but they are in need of parts. CED player needs parts, Beta player has an undiagnosed problem.

I will eventually get a speaker comparator, so that I can use 1 set of rears with the rocketdock between the 2 AVRs.

Damn, hardcore. Your set-ups sound amazing.