Author Topic: What's a Game You Like, That You Didn't Expect to Like?  (Read 3042 times)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

What's a Game You Like, That You Didn't Expect to Like?
« on: July 27, 2020, 11:19:13 am »
What's a Game You Like, That You Didn't Expect to Like?

For me it's Wolfenstein: The New Order.

I expected an average, forgettable shooter. Instead got a great, action-packed alternate-history story.

megasilverx1

Re: What's a Game You Like, That You Didn't Expect to Like?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2020, 12:01:21 pm »
Mother 3. I was expecting it to be another overhyped Nintendo RPG like Super Mario RPG and Earthbound ended up being to me, but I actually ended up really liking the game. It along with Chrono Trigger ended up being the first RPGs that I finished that weren't Pokemon, Dragon Quest, or Paper Mario related (I did beat Mario RPG but I categorize that under the Paper Mario series).

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2020, 12:17:08 pm »
I think we all should post one game at a time to keep the conversation going.

The first The Sims People Simulator and it's expansions,

I usually hated real time strategy games at that time, but this PC and expansion series that followed is much more than just a life strategy, there was truly no game even remotely similar I believe back in the year 2000.

If you have not played the sims on PC well, lets put it this way. you create a bunch of families or person, than you control there movements, their career the finances, their love life, and on top of the gameplay, the game lets you buy and customize your own home.

if you have all of the expansions, then you can build your own city from the ground up and take your characters to your custom buildings. And take them out to eat or shopping, or on a vacation. (etc)

think Sandbox RPG. With a hint of real time strategy involved

Yea I admit I'm a guy, and I love the first 3 The Sims People Simulator series of games and expansions on the PC. The same day I turned 13 years old. My sisters dad brought me a copy of the original PC base game, I didn't know what to expect.

I thought it was the best game ever at the time. I would invite my friend in my house to play the sims, and I was obsessed. for years about this game. I even told a friends parent and my social worker and they ended up buying the series at launch they loved it too.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 12:21:47 pm by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2020, 12:56:01 pm »
After a few months of release, Undertale was getting a lot of hype from folks and I checked out some stuff on it and didn't think I'd like it.  I'm not big on turn based rpg's as much anymore, the pixel art style is kinda basic, I just didn't see the draw, but I finally relented, played through it and absolutely loved it.  The art grew on me, the gameplay is still just fine, but has some unique elements to it that are a lot of fun and make it abit actiony, and the music is fantastic along with entertaining characters and story.  It was just that thing of the hype seeming unbearable for it, but still managing to win me over.

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2020, 01:25:04 pm »
Usually games recommended to me.

Cat Quest, Atelier Ryza, Haunting Ground, Wild Arms, Timesplitters for examples.

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2020, 03:12:28 pm »
For most my most recent one: Wandersong. I initially just booted it up because it was on a bunch of "Easiest completions on Xbox Game Pass", but I wound up getting completely charmed by the story and the characters. It was an easy game, yes, but it was one where at the end I was able to say that I was glad that I had played it.

kevininja

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2020, 03:52:06 pm »
For me it was Way of the Passive Fist last year.

A very parry-heavy beat 'em up that I really ended up liking!

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2020, 05:45:50 pm »
Definitely Terreria for me.

I thought it was going to be a really lame minecraft ripoff but man was I wrong.

shfan

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2020, 06:26:51 pm »
This War of Mine, bought it in the early days of the PS4 as it was different to what I expected most PS4 releases were going to be (which was wrong, the number of blockbuster games released is through the floor, most games are low-medium budget these days). Gave it a go, quickly became hooked - it's not too preachy and has some great mechanics, one of my favourite games of this generation.

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2020, 06:28:23 pm »
Saints Row the Third

Never been into any of the GTA style games. But I tried it when it was free on PS Plus and I ended up liking it. Plus I mean how could you go wrong with a game that has Burt Fucking Reynolds telling you to go kill zombies.

I did try playing Saints Row 2 afterwards but it didn't hook me as much.

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2020, 06:32:15 pm »
Saints Row the Third

Never been into any of the GTA style games. But I tried it when it was free on PS Plus and I ended up liking it. Plus I mean how could you go wrong with a game that has Burt Fucking Reynolds telling you to go kill zombies.

I did try playing Saints Row 2 afterwards but it didn't hook me as much.

Kinda went the wrong way with that series lol SR2 was good for the time, especially for me, as I thought Grand Theft Auto at the time with GTA4 was a bad game, and here comes SR2 doing GTA better than GTA.  Three is great though.  Been meaning to pick up the remaster someday to fool around with.

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2020, 07:27:35 pm »
Im going to stick one generation but multiple games because last gen had so many surprise games for me.

Binary Domain (3rd person shooter)

Import Tuner Challenge

Crackdown (most people bought this for the halo3 beta without even knowing what it was)

Singularity (first person shooter)

These were all surprisingly awesome!

pzeke

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2020, 10:38:07 pm »
As far as recent memory, I'm blank - I honestly can't think of anything.

I always research the games I'm interested in very thoroughly, so I guess that's why.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2020, 12:00:34 am »
I've certainly played games that I thought I'd think were okay and ended up liking a lot in the end, but I can't think of any examples of games I thought I'd hate and ended up liking. Here are a few that come to mind.

- Klonoa
- Symphony of the Night
- Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order
- Minecraft

ferraroso

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2020, 01:09:09 am »
Destiny

I've never been a huge fan of FPS and rarely play anything online, but I've had so much fun playing Destiny for it's first two years or so...