Author Topic: Consoles That Are Affordable to Collect For And Recent Pricing Trends  (Read 1527 times)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

What are some consoles that are cheap to collect for, right now?

Genesis, PS1, and PS2 used to be the cheap go-tos, but that seems to have changed in the last few years. Those consoles' games are starting to rise.

Xbox 360, Original Xbox, Wii, and Atari 2600 all still seem to be pretty cheap. I'm assuming PS3, as well, since it's that same generation as 360 and Wii, but I don't own one so I wouldn't really know.

I've also noticed that while brand-spanking new releases are still $40-$60, when a game drops in price on XBox One, it drops hard and fast (insert dirty joke here). Not sure if that's the same on PS4, because I really only get exclusives here and there for it.

And for that matter, Wii U games. They all seem to hover around $20-$30 for first-party titles, and even cheaper for third-party titles. Now is the time to stock up on those Wii U games. As unique as the console is, I see it being a niche console down the road.

What else is a good, cheap console to collect for? What are some of the pricing trends you've noticed changing in the last few years?
« Last Edit: July 28, 2020, 06:18:45 pm by burningdoom »

I've also noticed that while brand-spanking new releases are still $40-$60, when a game drops in price on XBox One, it drops hard and fast (insert dirty joke here). Not sure if that's the same on PS4, because I really only get exclusives here and there for it.

PS4 drops don't come quite as quickly as the XB1 drops do, but I've seen the same thing - once they happen they happen fast.  I've also noticed that cross-platform games tend to be a bit cheaper on the XB1.

pzeke

Yeah PS3 is affordable right now. And if you know where to look, same for PS4; I just recently got a lot of 12 games for just $60.

Wii is cheap, too. But when it hasn't?

I personally don't bother following trends; I look for whatever I want and try to find it for cheap, and if it ain't, I keep looking.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

wartoy

PRO Supporter

Gameboy,gba,gbc,gamegear,ds,3ds are still cheep for the most part im going to start actively looking for these more often.

I'll also echo the 360/One. Games are a bit cheaper, and with the One's Backwards compatibility, almost all major non-sports games for the 360 are playable on the One, so a person wouldn't need two consoles for the most part. The main exception would be if a person was interested mostly in JRPGs or Visual Novels, as while there are some for the Xboxes, the selection pales in comparison to the PS3/4.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

I'll also echo the 360/One. Games are a bit cheaper, and with the One's Backwards compatibility, almost all major non-sports games for the 360 are playable on the One, so a person wouldn't need two consoles for the most part. The main exception would be if a person was interested mostly in JRPGs or Visual Novels, as while there are some for the Xboxes, the selection pales in comparison to the PS3/4.

I own both consoles and have to go back to my 360 often. There's a lot not on Xbox One's compatibility list.

A few I recently had to play on my 360 were Batman: Arkham Asylum, Resident Evil 5 & 6, X-Men Arcade, and WizOrb.

I'd say PlayStation 1, Original Xbox, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and also PlayStation 2 in some spots. During the pandemic I found a ton of different racing games less than $10 USD a piece off Lukie Games Online store for the original Xbox, PlayStation 1, PlayStation 2

Right now I've been finding PlayStation 1 and 2 games for 50c a piece at a local Disc Replay store also known as "Mega Replay" I said that already but it's true. and Disc Replay/Mega Replay may be one of the last remaining physical video store and most stores are located throughout the Midwestern United States of America.

And some of you, may or may not have one in your area. I know that they have stores in Southeast Michigan, and places like Indianapolis Indiana and throughout Ohio. Just look them up.

and as long as we are still in the pandemic remember to wear a mask before walking in. yea they do walk in or at least mine does.

also some of their bigger stores are called Mega Replay
« Last Edit: July 28, 2020, 09:14:24 pm by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

I own both consoles and have to go back to my 360 often. There's a lot not on Xbox One's compatibility list.

A few I recently had to play on my 360 were Batman: Arkham Asylum, Resident Evil 5 & 6, X-Men Arcade, and WizOrb.

I'm not saying it's able to play every game, but there are over 600 games on the BC list, and most of the major game series like Assassin's Creed, Bioshock, Call of Duty, Dead Space, Dragon Age, Fable, Fallout, Gears of War, Halo, or Mass Effect are on that list. So, a person with just a One can still get most of the high points of the 360 library. A beginner collector could amass a large amount of 360 titles and play them before they actually need a 360.
Also, Arkham Asylum and the two Resident Evil games were also released on the One, so a person who just has a One is not locked out of playing them; they just can't get the 360 version.

I've essentially put all retro video game collecting on hold for the time being given how insane the prices have become since COVID started. Maing people stay at home more and also giving them $1200 in free money really inflated the prices of retro games, and caused stores like Target and Gamestop to sell tons of newer games as well. But I have noticed that original XBOX, 360, PS3, Wii and Wii U prices have remained pretty stable and cheap. Funny enough I've also noticed that SNES and NES prices have mostly stayed stable throughout all this as well. Everything else though has been ridiculous, with PS1 and PS2 being the craziest.

mark1982

As others mentioned, PS3 and X360 are going for cheap now, plus I managed to find some PS4 cheap titles as well at a thrift store that I frequently visit, people seem to be slowly unloading them as the new generation of consoles get nearer.
  l    l 

koemo1

PRO Supporter

Re: Consoles That Are Affordable to Collect For And Recent Pricing Trends
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2020, 10:38:18 am »
Philips CD-i has many interesting titles scattered around the CD section of thrift stores :D
Currently playing:
Rogue Trooper [xbox]
Days Gone [ps4]