Author Topic: Do collector's baffle other gamers?  (Read 2127 times)

pzeke

Re: Do collector's baffle other gamers?
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2020, 06:36:45 pm »
And here we have the grammar butcher talking out of his ass once again. Being a minimalist doesn’t mean getting rid of literally everything. Yes, decluttering is an intrinsic part of the lifestyle, however, minimalism doesn’t mean that a person can’t consume or have/keep anything; it simply means to do it meaningfully. To live a life of minimalism translates to relinquishing the things that don’t add value to your life, that bog and drag you down—that simply put don’t make you happy. In the end, though, all of that is subjective, so if for any one person that wishes to pursue this lifestyle video games do happen to add value and happiness, then they’re well within their right to have as many games as they deem fit. With all this in mind, saying a “true” minimalist, which in the context of this conversation we’re implying is a gamer, would only keep 2 or 3 games and never go beyond 10 is stupidly uneducated to assert.

Without going into details, a friend of mine has been living this lifestyle for well over a decade now and he happens to have a rather sizable video game collection. Video games have brought him joy since he was a kid, and having a room where he can go every day after a rough day at work to sit down and relax for an hour or two mean a lot to him. Granted, he does have the tendency of selling games once he beats them, but he has his favorites, many of which he’s had since he was a kid. Even though his gaming room is very modest, two bookshelves hug one of the walls with quite a number of games. He has more than 40 PlayStation 2 games, just to name an example, so that’s definitely more than 10.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

sworddude

« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2020, 05:05:21 am »
That's a bit on the collectors side if you'd ask me. I also never said this applies to all minimalist but most, exceptions exist after all, not to mention we where talking about the extreme ends of the spectrum here.

I feel that gamers tend to either be minimalist or maximalist when it comes to their collections, with very little middle ground. They either keep every game they can acquire, or they sell off every game once they are done with it.

That being said I've known plenty of people who have less than 5 games at any given time, selling or trading them in, while replacing them for new stuff when they are done with it to keep them costs at an all time low. when money is tight plus being a minimalist this is the way to go for allot of people from what I've noticed at least.

minimalist usually give zero shits about nostalgia and old gens, it's all about the new stuff. money or not they rarely have more games that they can play hanging around. like seriously I have plenty of actual minimalists living around me and they literally don't mind throwing anything away of their past childhood or anything period. the only exceptions are familiy pictures. and getting rid of stuff has to go fast, so usually just trade ins or into the trash can it goes. Convenience is key.

Gaming wise if money is plentyfull, minimalists usually go for a digital collection in this day and age, but the ones that are frugal still go physical .

« Last Edit: October 08, 2020, 06:25:30 am by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2020, 09:54:08 am »
I work in a medium sized game studio and almost everyone there is a gamer in some form or another. They ask "Why do you need seven Gamecubes." Because I like Gamecube, that's why! There are only a few that purport to being game collectors. They get it, but most don't.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2020, 09:58:45 am by badATchaos »

« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2020, 03:52:28 pm »
Most non-collector gamers I've shown my collection to respond in one of two ways. One is they react like a kid in a candy store and get incredibly excited or even inspired to start game collecting. This actually happened to my younger brother, although I'd definitely place him in the casual collector category on account that he barely has tome to collect with his job. The other reaction seems to be a mix of concern. They react and look at my collection like I'm some sort of hoarder, which I guess there is some truth to this. I keep my collection clean and organized, but it still gets looks and reactions like I need an intervention or that my collection is an extend of some serious mental health problem. Luckily there haven't been money people in that latter category, but most people who have seen or know about my collection are just other hardcore collectors so they get it.