Author Topic: Bad games you thought were good  (Read 4140 times)

Re: Bad games you thought were good
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2020, 03:56:12 pm »
For some reason the only one I can think of is Bug on the Saturn. I used to play the hell out of this game at my friend's house growing up and thought it was super fun. I replayed it about a year ago and it's one of the worst 3D platformers I've ever played.

tpugmire

« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2020, 08:47:18 pm »
Pac man for 2600. I didn’t know it was bad until I was an adult and saw people hating on it online. I liked it as a little kid. There’s better versions for sure, but I still like it.
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

astralsoul

« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2020, 02:30:30 am »
Friday the 13th on NES is not a very intuitive game, but once you know what to do, it's actually not bad.  Bordering on really good.

Similar thoughts on Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.  It's very difficult, probably too difficult, but it's not bad.  And the dam isn't that tough.

Agreed on both of these.

I enjoy Bubsy 1&2 on SNES, as well as Taz-Mania, Speedy Gonzalez and all those other Looney Tunes SNES games that are generally considered bad.

My favorite game everyone seems to hate is Castlevania 64. I don't care what anyone says, I think it does the best job of Castlevania in 3D.

« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2020, 07:05:54 pm »
I like the Bugs Bunny Crazy Castle Series which I think is considered mediocre not bad.

smudgy

« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2020, 10:54:23 pm »
People seem to give Chameleon Twist 2 a lot of flack for being slippery to control and having uninspired level design, but it's fun, colorful and has a great soundtrack and mechanic I haven't seen done in any other platformers.

I don't know what the general consensus is, but I remember seeing Somecallmejohnny review Billy Hatcher and basically obliterate it, and I was just blown away. It's one of my favorite Gamecube games period. And speaking of Sega on Gamecube, Sonic Heroes was fine. Its only crime is not feeling like a Sonic game (and awful voice acting).

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2020, 07:44:34 am »

I enjoy Bubsy 1&2 on SNES, as well as Taz-Mania, Speedy Gonzalez and all those other Looney Tunes SNES games that are generally considered bad.

Im with you on the Looney Tunes games  I really liked Road Runner: Death Valley Ralley and Duck Dodgers.

mrkonasoni

« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2020, 06:04:45 pm »
I thought Duke Nukem Forever was good, I think the problem is that it wasnt what people hoped and the game was too different from at least 2 of the demos shown.

I think Sonic Forces was fine, not too great but not bad either.

Contra Rogue Corps and Metal Gear Survive were good games.

Nightmare on Elm Street was indeed good, but it has some truly annoying game design choices.

Pretty much all Crash games from the 2000s, I certainly cant see why people thought Wrath of Cortex was bad, it is like a better game than Crash 3

And a lot of games more.
I always have problems learning English, but I still love to talk a lot, I need no reason to be kind, after everything I have gone through I found a little peace.

« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2020, 09:02:17 pm »
I think a game is only truly bad if #1 the game does not respond to the controls, or  #2 it's got brutal difficulty on the easiest setting.  And #3 all games that have difficult puzzles that can't figure out on my own  OR. #4 that I need a  cheat code or walkthrough in order to pass a certain section of a video game.

I actually love "The History Channel: Civil War – A Nation Divided"

even though people say the battles are not realistic or replicate REAL civil war weaponry or battles,. Overall this game for the PlayStation 2 has responsive controls and plays just fine. and it's a fun first person shooter based in the American Civil War.

I look past the weaponry not being spot on real, and I see past the fact that there is no assault rifles like in the world war 2 games like Call of Duty games

However I this game is too difficult to play on something other then easy difficulty, I highly recommend this game again on the forums
« Last Edit: October 12, 2020, 09:07:32 pm by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2020, 10:39:20 pm »
Mission Impossible on the N64. I always liked it as a kid even though I can never beat it. Years later I did and I enjoy myself. I even got the PS1 version and played through that too and had a great time. It also had a killer soundtrack in my opinion.

undertakerprime

PRO Supporter

« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2020, 12:22:34 pm »

Im with you on the Looney Tunes games  I really liked Road Runner: Death Valley Ralley and Duck Dodgers.

Death Valley Rally is one of those games that I tried really hard to like. The graphics, sound, and presentation really do a good job of making it seem like a classic Road Runner cartoon. I just couldn’t get past the wonky hit detection and the confusing level design (the game seems to want you to run fast Sonic-style, but will put a thornbush and other obstacles in your way to discourage that type of play...)

I don't know what the general consensus is, but I remember seeing Somecallmejohnny review Billy Hatcher and basically obliterate it, and I was just blown away. It's one of my favorite Gamecube games period.

I’ve never played it myself, but I worked in the game section of Toys R Us during the time of the GameCube, and I can personally attest that Billy Hatcher was one of the most sought-after games. We had a hard time keeping it in stock.

Another one we had trouble keeping in stock: Barbie Horse Adventures for GBA. That thing was flying off the shelf.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2020, 07:49:15 pm by undertakerprime »

pzeke

« Reply #40 on: October 13, 2020, 07:02:09 pm »

My favorite game everyone seems to hate is Castlevania 64. I don't care what anyone says, I think it does the best job of Castlevania in 3D.

As far as Looney Tunes goes, as much as I like Taz, I can't say the same for his games. Daffy Duck: The Marvin Missions and Speedy Gonzales: Los Gatos Bandidos on the other hand I can say are quite decent.

I have been curious about that game, as well as its sequel, and have been meaning to get them, but never follow through. To tell you the truth, I'm actually surprised that with all the PS2 lots I've gotten in the past I never once managed to get either of the two.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

« Reply #41 on: October 13, 2020, 08:21:15 pm »

I have been curious about that game, as well as its sequel, and have been meaning to get them, but never follow through. To tell you the truth, I'm actually surprised that with all the PS2 lots I've gotten in the past I never once managed to get either of the two.

"History Channel: Civil War: Secret Missions"

I also have this sequel and but I don't think it's as good as the first. Plus it's rare and expensive. (as far as the PS2 version goes) the last time I looked on the internet.

never made it past the moving ship mission where you're on a timer. and you need to destroy buildings with a realistic cannon gun. off the shore while moving. The trouble I have, is the cannon acts like a grenade launcher. And requires you aim in the air, and calculate the time distance, and speed.to have any chance at success of this mission.

Other then that, the game is still a good responsive game. I just never made it past the moving battleship mission yet
« Last Edit: October 13, 2020, 09:03:02 pm by oldgamerz »

NO APPS NEEDED

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #42 on: October 13, 2020, 10:03:26 pm »

"History Channel: Civil War: Secret Missions"

I also have this sequel and but I don't think it's as good as the first. Plus it's rare and expensive. (as far as the PS2 version goes) the last time I looked on the internet.

never made it past the moving ship mission where you're on a timer. and you need to destroy buildings with a realistic cannon gun. off the shore while moving. The trouble I have, is the cannon acts like a grenade launcher. And requires you aim in the air, and calculate the time distance, and speed.to have any chance at success of this mission.

Other then that, the game is still a good responsive game. I just never made it past the moving battleship mission yet
I also liked A Nation Divided game except I played it on XBOX 360 but pretty sure the gameplay is the same I even 100% the game and achievements I liked it that much. And I also agree the second one wasn't as good.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2020, 10:07:08 pm by wartoy »

« Reply #43 on: October 14, 2020, 02:26:52 am »

I also liked A Nation Divided game except I played it on XBOX 360 but pretty sure the gameplay is the same I even 100% the game and achievements I liked it that much. And I also agree the second one wasn't as good.

"The  (first game) "History Channel: Civil War – A Nation Divided"

The only real problem with this game in my opinion is really minor, and it's the fact that the mission select screen is confusing, at first glance Because once you successfully complete one mission. You need to press down on the d-pad, on the mission select screen. in order to play the next mission. press left or right on the d-pad and that is how you select both the campaigns

The game does not tell you,  that, after each mission you complete, you unlock, the next one in that campaign mode, a new comer to this game might need to know that. Because the next mission is not automatically selected. For someone who is new to this game. They  might need to know this, so they won't be playing the same mission over and over again.

and remember there is 2 campaigns in this game both are somewhat short, one campaign for the north side of the war and one campaign for the south side of the American civil war.

you need to manually save your game progress onto the memory card on the PS2 versions. and you can make your own checkpoints just like a PC game on PS2 as well. there is no automictic checkpoints, instead the game lets you save at will.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2020, 02:09:09 am by oldgamerz »

NO APPS NEEDED