Author Topic: Avengers 2020 Game  (Read 6842 times)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Re: Avengers 2020 Game
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2020, 05:21:37 pm »
That's a gamble. Who knows if it will even get a GOTY edition or not.

pzeke

« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2020, 08:52:33 pm »
Doesn't have to be a GOTYE, it can be either a Complete or Definitive edition, or something like that. Either way, whether they do or don't, I'm not losing sleep over it.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2020, 10:03:07 pm »
I'm picking up the game tomorrow on PS4, so I'll give some deeper impressions of the full game this weekend.  I don't really have big issues with online games and I'm mostly going into this for the general story and side mission story stuff with some time spent grinding out a few things for at least a character or two I like.  I'll likely get more than enough out of the base game from the looks of it, so anything else would just keep me playing, sorta like Monster Hunter World where it had a good base game, but then they kept adding more monsters, events, and gear to keep me coming back.

soera

« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2020, 12:02:31 am »
Im interested in hearing what you think. Im a giant Marvel nerd and have been hyped for this game for a while.

« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2020, 03:50:18 am »
Okay, got through the story, and I think that is pretty good.  Nothing amazing, this won't be most people's GOTY, but I think it's a solid experience.  The combat is strong, the variety in characters is good, Kamala is great as the lead through most of it, and I liked all the Avengers in this, they are handled really well.  The only Avenger who comes out on the...unused side, would be Thor.  He kinda just shows up at a point, and you do use him in the story in parts, but everyone sorta feels more important to the story than him, though it's not like he's handled poorly, I'm just kinda realizing how things went.

The gameplay is overall good, there's a character type for everyone, I don't hate playing as anyone, though Widow is probably my least used, but I'll be giving her a better shot soon as I kinda learned her grappling ability a little better and that makes her more interesting to play than I thought.  By the end of the game, you'll unlock stuff to kinda pick and choose how you want certain abilities to behave, it's not anything significant, like the character won't play noticeably different, but it's more like if you want this ability to give you health orbs or power orbs, or maybe it's about stronger rockets or more stun.  It's minor tweaks, but it's a way to customize your playstyle.

This game does have problems and I'm not really talking about the live service stuff, that stuff is a mixed bag and doesn't bother me a ton, but to me, the most egregious stuff was performance.  On a PS4 Pro, this game can chug, slow down like crazy in large maps with combat happening.  It's bad, but it's never completely unplayble, it's kinda being like stuck in bullet time since you can still react, but it's pretty poor.  I mean I put up with it for Xenoblade Chronicles 2, I can put up with it here, but I'll be looking forward to the PS5 upgrade.  Good chance it runs better on PC.  Hopefully they have some patches planned here soon as in the meantime, it needs some TLC to clean up the performance and bugs.

I can't strongly recommend the game because of that, like if you don't enjoy live service games, this won't change your mind, but there is a good enough game here that will grow and add more enemy factions, more story, more characters, more to do, but it's kinda rough, but Marvel fans should like it.

pzeke

« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2020, 03:57:42 pm »
I saw gameplay of the Hulk, and boy was there a lot to be desired. I don't think there's anything that compares–or will ever compare–to Ultimate Destruction. The 2008 video game based on the MCU movie tried to copy the formula, but failed miserably.

When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.

« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2020, 04:02:00 pm »
I saw gameplay of the Hulk, and boy was there a lot to be desired. I don't think there's anything that compares–or will ever compare–to Ultimate Destruction. The 2008 video game based on the MCU movie tried to copy the formula, but failed miserably.

I think Hulk is pretty good gameplay wise, I like being able to grab enemies as weapons, he has some great area damage attacks, and he's a very aggressive tank character compared to everyone else, he just doesn't have the interactivity with the world like Ultimate Destruction such as grabbing cars to make them boxing gloves lol  It would be cool if they add some new moves to the characters as the games go on so that the crew can be more deeply customized.

pzeke

« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2020, 04:57:50 pm »
I'm nut surprised, really. Taking the comics out of the equation, which is a whole 'nother subject altogether, Hulk hasn't been the Hulk lately - he's been treated like a steaming pile of dog turd on the side of the road on a sunny day, so...

Oh well, c'est la vie.

EDIT: 818th post.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 12:54:10 pm by pzeke »

mrkonasoni

« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2020, 05:08:11 pm »
I dont think I will play it or buy it yet, but the game looks too humble for a millionaire franchise like Avengers.

I want to believe they made this game too easy and simple for appeal the casual market that dont play videogames at all.
Also it hurt watching MTX for a 60$ game.
I always have problems learning English, but I still love to talk a lot, I need no reason to be kind, after everything I have gone through I found a little peace.

« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2020, 02:22:34 pm »
I got it for free, so I'll play it, but maybe after I finish running through the Sonic games.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2020, 05:54:24 pm »
I finally pulled myself away from Tony Hawk enough to play some Avengers yesterday. And it's pretty dang average. Not too into it.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2020, 10:38:04 am »
I finally pulled myself away from Tony Hawk enough to play some Avengers yesterday. And it's pretty dang average. Not too into it.

That’s a damn shame. I was really hoping it would be a good game.

pzeke

« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2020, 03:38:46 pm »
The more I keep watching gameplay on YouTube, the less I want or care for the game.

mark1982

« Reply #43 on: September 17, 2020, 03:23:18 am »
The reviews aren't too hot either. Metacritic has it at 67 for PS4 and 63 for XB1.

Here's hoping the newly announced Gotham Knights game does better than this.
  l    l 

pzeke

« Reply #44 on: November 17, 2020, 05:48:23 pm »