Author Topic: What's a Game You Like, That You Didn't Expect to Like?  (Read 3003 times)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Re: What's a Game You Like, That You Didn't Expect to Like?
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2020, 01:42:15 am »
I've certainly played games that I thought I'd think were okay and ended up liking a lot in the end, but I can't think of any examples of games I thought I'd hate and ended up liking. Here are a few that come to mind.

- Klonoa
- Symphony of the Night
- Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order
- Minecraft

Why didn't you think you'd like Symphony of the Night? Not a fan of Metroidvanias? Don't like Castlevanias?

« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2020, 01:53:55 am »
The newest King Quest game. 

Honestly, I felt that it was going to be an epic failure without Ken and Roberta behind it.
I ended up enjoying it. Not as much as the originals, but I had fun playing it.  That counts, right?

« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2020, 11:45:38 am »
I've certainly played games that I thought I'd think were okay and ended up liking a lot in the end, but I can't think of any examples of games I thought I'd hate and ended up liking. Here are a few that come to mind.

- Klonoa
- Symphony of the Night
- Minecraft

Why didn't you think you'd like Symphony of the Night? Not a fan of Metroidvanias? Don't like Castlevanias?

I had tried playing it years ago, and for whatever reason it just didn't click for some reason. I really liked certan parts, but others annoyed the hell out of me. I gave it another shot last year and the game somehow ended up becoming one of the best games I'd ever played. It really blew my socks off this time around lol.

But I also played Order of Ecclesia and I didn't care too much for that one either, but maybe I'll have the same response if I replay it as I did SotN.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2020, 12:04:31 pm »

- Klonoa
- Symphony of the Night
- Minecraft

I had tried playing it years ago, and for whatever reason it just didn't click for some reason. I really liked certan parts, but others annoyed the hell out of me. I gave it another shot last year and the game somehow ended up becoming one of the best games I'd ever played. It really blew my socks off this time around lol.

But I also played Order of Ecclesia and I didn't care too much for that one either, but maybe I'll have the same response if I replay it as I did SotN.

Order of Ecclesia is punishing. I've picked it up to play through it a couple times and moved on to less frustrating stuff instead both times.

« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2020, 09:34:23 pm »

When I was younger I had a full copy of Star Craft 1 and the Brood War Expansion for the PC unopened and I was looking for something I didn't already play yet as a teenager.

I usually don't like Strategy games and I was never good at them, so at first I would use cheats to complete the story instead of grind through the entire game, and getting my butt kicked by the computer. After all I had no prior experience with strategy games before I played this one.

After I found out how to play I stopped using cheats, and played the game normally in which is surprisingly fun and the story is great if you follow the story,

it's like opening a good book, it has such a great story, that after I kept playing the 6 campaigns over and over again I created my own after math of the Brood War Campaigns a few times, using my own sound, programming triggers and my own custom levels. Using the Campaign editor in which came with all physical copies of the PC version of Star Craft 1.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2020, 09:44:13 pm by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

undertakerprime

PRO Supporter

« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2020, 05:49:18 pm »
Commando/Gun.Smoke (NES)

I listed both because both were similar cases. My only experience with top-down run-n-guns on NES was with Ikari Warriors 1 & 2, the second being barely passable and the first being one of the most horrible pieces of crap on the console. So, not a good impression of the genre.

When I tried Commando and Gun.Smoke via emulator, it was like my eyes had been opened to actual GOOD examples of the genre.

« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2020, 05:53:50 pm »
Battlefield 3 weirdly enough. I know it's generally well-received but I went into it wanting something mindless to play after I finished The Last of Us, and I became super invested in the story.

astralsoul

« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2020, 09:01:29 pm »
Dark Souls. I tried it back in 2011 because (for some reason) people compared it to Skyrim. The game was devastatingly hard to the point where I hated it. I didn't get very far at all despite repeated attempts and eventually sold it a year or so later. When it came out Switch I decided to give it another. I don't know if it was because I was more aware what I was getting into or I became a better gamer since then or what, but not only did I finish the game in 2 weeks, but I absolutely LOVED this game. I was so obsessed I played through Dark Souls 2 and 3 afterwards and got the platinum trophy for Dark Souls Remastered when I bought it yet again on PS4, which is something I rarely do for PS4 games.

« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2020, 11:44:39 am »
Astral Chain would be the first. Didn't think I'd like the action crawler Platinum style games. It got a lot of attention as a sleeper hit around its release so I picked it up. Ended up being my game of the year.

The second would be Minecraft. Never would have thought it would be something I would like. A friend was real big into it around the time it launched on Switch so I grabbed it. Spent dozens of hours just playing by myself exploring/spelunking. I've never finished it (the "story" anyway) and never really done much besides build a few structures and wander around but I can get sucked into it for hours at a time.

Someone needs to make a thread that's the opposite: "Games I expected to like but ended up disliking"

mrkonasoni

« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2020, 02:20:42 pm »
Sports games.

I actually love basketball games, soccer games and hockey.
I always have problems learning English, but I still love to talk a lot, I need no reason to be kind, after everything I have gone through I found a little peace.

pzeke

« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2020, 03:32:16 pm »
[...]

Someone needs to make a thread that's the opposite: "Games I expected to like but ended up disliking"

You are welcomed to make it if you want.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

telly

« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2020, 04:01:21 pm »
I don't have a lot of games that fit this description, but one that stands out to me is Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter.

I think it turned a lot of people off because how different it is than the other BoF games, but I found it fairly enjoyable with a really interesting gameplay mechanic that really dissects the nature of game overs and new game + and turns it all upside down. I find it very fascinating.
Currently Playing:
DOOM (PS4)

My music collection | My Backloggery