Author Topic: Information How To Get The Best Quality CD Sound Out Of A Computer  (Read 1181 times)

This is a repeat post, in a thread that escalated into an argument, I wanted to make sure the rest of the forum got this information if in case the previous thread needed to be locked or removed, also I would love to hear all your input on this. I've been recording sound since 2005 on different computers

Before ripping a CD using something like "windows media player" go into Rip settings and change the format to ALAC for example or WAV but I recommend ALAC, apple lossless.

if you do record audio CD's  on a PC or laptop, make sure you use the original recordings. and not a burned copy, and to use ALAC Lossless or another Lossless format, take note the music CD recordings with lossless format take more data, then MP3

by default all ripping software compresses the CD unless you go into the Rip settings and change your setting to something like ALAC or other type of lossless quality,

CD's should have better quality then most downloaded music does and Vinyl is supposed to have the best audio quality. But it's not always the case.

Note that once a CD or audio file/song has been recorded in MP3 or any compressed format, for example you cannot, increase the quality by converting the format. From any compressed format, into lossless ALAC or other. that will only increase the audio file's size

If you already have MP3 or another kind of compressed audio you need to re-record all or buy a original CD and record your music with lossless setting on. to get the full benefit of sound. From all your audio recordings,

Also helps having a good stereo system, audio cables, plug in speakers that are stereo (not mono) and or stereo headphones, or stereo earbuds.

(about certain headphones or earphones)
All stereo devices have 2 stripes on the silver end of the plug of any and all headphones or speaker sound jacks, also note if you plug a headphone into a mono speaker it won't be even in stereo sound.

Also remember the the in my experience all headphones/ and speakers improve their sound over time

There is more I know, but I wanted others a chance to express their opinion
« Last Edit: August 15, 2020, 10:04:13 am by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

Re: Information How To Get The Best Quality CD Sound Out Of A Computer
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2020, 09:39:18 am »
I never downloaded a song but usually a song is compressed on the internet before it is uploaded to your computer. But this is from a 2007 high school textbook. For a more convenient and faster download to your device. Please do not argue on this thread but I am open to disagreement.

What is your experience with audio from a computer?

other information taken from old topic

the chips and the laser and such, the hardware and the software, do make a big difference

Sometimes it's amazing what enhancements some software can have with the quality of music, but the chips and hardware also play a role in it.

I once had power cord, external 3D stereo speakers plugged into a hardware sound card chip. installed onto an HP motherboard running windows XP. Then I made my own custom equalizer from the sound card software, and then played the ripped music with Windows Media Player in the XP days with another software equalizer combined.

Still today I can never re-due the quality of sound that the one sound card, and HP computer and 3D Speakers combine could ever do

I ripped but never burned an audio CD in years. It took me a long time to rip them but I did it and it's well worth the wait, for how much joy music brings me in life.

(Compressed vs uncompressed summery)
the difference is mainly in the bass department, lower quality (compressed) recordings often are more tint sounding and have more treble, and high pitched symbols, then better quality if lets say your listening to some metal pop or rock music

it's not noticeable for the most part but if you heard the difference and listen to music like I did in pretty much all media file formats. it's a slight difference

Sorry about what happen last time
« Last Edit: August 15, 2020, 10:22:08 am by oldgamerz »

NO APPS NEEDED

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

Re: Information How To Get The Best Quality CD Sound Out Of A Computer
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2020, 03:08:48 pm »
sometimes you do not need a soundcard especially with newer computers.

Also note that cheap soundcard chips might not have better sound then PC motherboard chipset audio. I bought 2 sound cards that were 2 channel and didn't even produce the full sound from the music, sometimes motherboard audio is best, I've had bad luck with 2 newer soundcards that I had since 2007.

My last soundcard was somehow interfering with my chipset audio driver. and it was causing errors, so I had to take my newest sound card out of my computer just to get better sound.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2020, 04:52:13 pm by oldgamerz »

NO APPS NEEDED