Author Topic: Ease of changing Nintendo DS cases  (Read 1144 times)

teknophyl

Ease of changing Nintendo DS cases
« on: April 27, 2012, 08:49:19 am »
(Yes, I know these are rapid fire posts... I'm a little excited about finding a US based site for VG enthusiasts. Bear with me, lol)

I recently bought a DS (the first edition model) that has some pretty good scratching on the top. I understand that you can buy replacement cases for them on eBay. A few I've seen look good and come with the triwing screwdriver but I've seen many that read "No Hinge Included".

What should I look for to ensure a complete toolkit for replacing the outer shell for the DS? And what's the relative complexity of the job? I'm not scared around electronics at all, but I am clumsy and don't want to break what I just bought.

Playing - KOTOR, Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga

darko

Re: Ease of changing Nintendo DS cases
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 03:02:21 pm »
If it's anything like the DS Lite it's pretty easy. I've never replaced a case for the original DS.

tpugmire

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 06:19:37 pm »
I've never done a case replacement on one of these, but I have heard that they are easy.  One small piece of advice, since this is your first time.  Take lots of pictures during disassembly.  It helps a lot when putting stuff back together.
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

darko

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2012, 01:34:51 am »
I'd also suggest looking up some videos on youtube before you begin. It will help you with wiring and whatnot so you don't accidentally pull something apart and unknowingly destroy a connector, etc.