Author Topic: If Microsoft, Nintendo, Or SONY No Longer Made Consoles What Would Happen  (Read 3562 times)

sworddude

One idea I would have for a Sega console would be: the Sega Exodus - a disc based system with a similar design to the Genesis Model 1.

That would be really cool the Sega Exodus :)

The camera market has been shrinking steadily the past 10 years.  Sony only controls 4% of the flatscreen tv down from a high of 14% 12 years ago.  Thats a drop from second to 6th and they have been trending down that whole time.  What else do you got?

Any piece of technology - player, game device, or otherwise that uses Blu-Ray discs has to pay Sony a licensing fee.  That alone keeps them alive as a company - not mention their remaining market share of phones or Movie and Television production.  What else you got?
See death of physical media.  I didn't even know Sony made phones but after reading a little bit they cost them over 800 million in losses last year.  Sony Pictures almost made half that back last year.

Ok I admit Sony won't cease to exist.  Their corpse will shamble on for 20ish years while bits and pieces fall off until there is nothing left.

I've noticed a lot of discussion about SONY and Microsoft, but few are talking about Nintendo. does anyone think Nintendo would survive? personally I've heard of some of their past and I think Nintendo would have the most loss from not making tv consoles. I highly doubt Nintendo could make ends meet on just playing cards and games alone.

Of course I don't know anything about Nintendo except maybe if they continue to make toys will that fill the gap?

Nintendo would just retire with allot of money in their pockets, hanafuda cards are useless in this era can't imagine them earning that much on just those.

At best they might produce games for other consoles in wich the loss of an exclusive console isn't that bad.
Your Stylish Sword Master!

pzeke

See death of physical media.  I didn't even know Sony made phones but after reading a little bit they cost them over 800 million in losses last year.  Sony Pictures almost made half that back last year.

Ok I admit Sony won't cease to exist.  Their corpse will shamble on for 20ish years while bits and pieces fall off until there is nothing left.

While you marinate in that salt, go and do a search on all of Sony's acquisitions, affiliates, subsidiaries, and other related assets and investments, perhaps read up on their history as a company as well, and then I'm sure you'll see that, while highly profitable for them, video games have never been their sole business venture.

It was an excellent hot take, nonetheless. Steaming.

I've noticed a lot of discussion about SONY and Microsoft, but few are talking about Nintendo. does anyone think Nintendo would survive? personally I've heard of some of their past and I think Nintendo would have the most loss from not making tv consoles. I highly doubt Nintendo could make ends meet on just playing cards and games alone.

Of course I don't know anything about Nintendo except maybe if they continue to make toys will that fill the gap?

They still own 10% of the Seattle Mariners, no...?

Anyway, it will take a grand fuck-up for them to become the new Sega, so I'm sure they will keep making games for as long as possible in the event they were to stop making consoles.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

TV's, Stereos, MP3 players, speakers, blu-ray players, DVD players, CDs, Blu-Rays, etc. PlayStation is only a section of all of that, and that's today, not 20 years ago.

And the death of physical media has been greatly exaggerated, here. Any trip to Best Buy or Wal-Mart's electronics section can show you that.

If you guys don't see the problem with a fifth (and most profitable) of a company's revenue disappearing and that somehow they could survive by selling cd players, and licensing out blu rays is delusional.  On top of that the whole coronavirus shutdown will have hurt Sony pictures.  There is also the recession/depression that is currently happening that will hurt them across the board.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2020, 04:03:15 pm by 98dgreen »

If you guys don't see the problem with a fifth (and most profitable) of a company's revenue disappearing and that somehow they could survive by selling cd players, and licensing out blu rays is delusional.  On top of that the whole coronavirus shutdown will have hurt Sony pictures.  There is also the recession/depression that is currently happening that will hurt them across the board.

No one said it wouldn't hurt them.  You said that they would cease to exist, which is demonstrably false.  4/5 of a multi 10s of billion dollar company is still billions of dollars.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2020, 05:56:35 pm by Cartagia »

Re: If Microsoft, Nintendo, Or SONY No Longer Made Consoles What Would Happen
« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2020, 04:58:41 am »
SEGA would return on the surface to come back with it's all new Mega Master Dream Jupiter ???  8)

I'd buy it!

U could count me in as well - but only, if it's backwards compatible  ;D
ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US !!
WELCOME TO YOUR DOOM !!