Author Topic: What is your principal goal collecting games?  (Read 4855 times)

mrkonasoni

What is your principal goal collecting games?
« on: September 05, 2020, 03:51:05 pm »
START:

A long time ago I was part of another forum that died because reasons, and I used to have a lot of friends there or people that I liked to talk, I am a believer that joined this forum was another chance for meet more cool people, so like always I like to ask this question.

Whats is your most important goal or priority collecting videogames? After all I guess we all have an objective that we want to accomplish before passing away.

My only real objective right now is collect most Konami games and thats pretty much the only stuff I am buying right now, I have 115 Konami games and I want to have most, the reason is because I have an emotional connection with the company, they inspired me and helped me when I had depression and a lot of stuff more that I will save myself right now.

After that I guess collect most Sonic games and other favorite games that I wanted....

So whats your goal for collecting? whats your objective? The item that you need because you truly want it, I know that maybe talking we will get to meet better each other

Thank you for reading my post
I have always liked to play everything with a positive mind and being kind with people that is kind with me.
I always have problems learning English, but I still love to talk a lot, I need no reason to be kind, after everything I have gone through I found a little peace.

telekill

Re: What is your principal goal collecting games?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2020, 04:26:16 pm »
For the most part, I'd say, I'm collecting games that I have fond memories of. For instance, retro-wise, I still collect for my Sega Game Gear. On my list are essentially games that I've played or are linked to TV shows or movies I loved as a kid.... Micro Machines, Donald Duck Lucky Dime Caper, and Indiana Jones. The rest will be played via an Everdrive cartridge.

I don't anticipate ever having a full collection of games for any single system. I also don't anticipate having more than around 50-ish games per single system.... amend that to 50-ish physical games for modern systems.

I've even found that often I prefer doing projects (crafting) based on retro games or games I loved just as much as playing the actual game. Case in point, I've been creating shadowboxes for my favorite games of all time; making a wall of fame so to speak. I've done one for the original Ninja Turtles game for NES and I'm finishing up one for Jurassic Park on Genesis. Next after that will be Uncharted. It's a time killer, but I have great fun designing and building them.

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2020, 06:05:54 pm »
To collect whatever I can for the more common retro consoles, since I rarely buy games from online stores, I shop locally unless I'm desperate to have a certain game. I now am close to being satisfied with what I got already. and now I still buy things locally to support a local game and electronics store, with buying games that don't have high cost the ones I don't have a proper working copy of, also games that look interesting,

I for example buy everything golf wise that don't cost to much. Unfortunately my health is not the greatest and I find it vary difficult to play my games. Due to a constant airborne allergies and migraine headaches on top of other things that make it hard for me to play my games.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2020, 06:07:35 pm by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2020, 07:00:08 pm »
It's been only around 5 years I've started VG collecting. At first my goal was to get most games and consoles I had when I was a child, then get the ones I always wanted or that I discovered and loved via emulation. I don't collect any game I don't intend to play. My priority is arcade games, shmups, run 'n guns. I absolutely love the Switch for that, and always keep an eye on the many limited-time release publishers out there, which are my absolute priority; I would hate to pay scalper's prices if I ever miss the release of a game I'm interested in (not that it didn't happened already). I know I'll have time to get the more popular titles at some point later.

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2020, 09:25:18 pm »
I want to build my own Gaming Museum on my property.  A place where friends, family, and fellow gamers can hang out with their kids and not just see, but play all the games.  I want it to be a sanctuary of sorts, a temporary escape for people who are troubled by things going on in their life.
A drug den for gamers, kinda.  I imagine a very large room, bean bag chairs, Many TVs both modern and CRT, and shelves, so many shelves full of video games for every system.  Think, like a library only with a more relaxed feel. 

I obviously haven't worked all the kinks out in my big plan yet, but I still haven't got nearly enough games to fill even three shelves.  So that comes first.

I try to learn everything I can about each game/console/memorabilia I get my hands on.  Date of release, behind the scenes info (The old Phalanx man was Bertil Valley, born Jan 01 1913, died April 09 2004, and aside from being the Banjo Guy, he owned a construction company, and he was a also a volunteer Santa Claus for 25 years.)

I guess I do want to "own" everything.  But I don't want to collect just for myself, that'd be boring.  I want others to enjoy it too.  I want to make people happy.  And video games are my passion, so why not share it?

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2020, 12:41:57 am »
I just buy what I want to play. And as I get older, that list continues to grow as I learn more about gaming.

brazbit

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2020, 02:28:18 am »
My primary goal is just to have fun playing games. on the occasions when I find myself starting to buy something I probably will never play just because I don't have it I stop an remind myself of this fact. That doesn't mean I don't occasionally get home and wonder why I bought something. When that happens I try to find some way to enjoy it or redistribute it.

I don't care about boxes or manuals or anything like that. I have always found sealed copies as a bizarre thing to collect and not a lot of fun.

As for any completionism goals, I would like to get the last few games to complete my Lynx collection. The only reason for doing that is that after I get all the games I would have wanted anyway there are only three to five official releases left that I wouldn't have bought anyway and I picked those up along the way as filler in lot orders when hunting the others down or when buying my systems.

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2020, 03:39:38 am »
Mostly just stuff I want and enjoy, stuff I played as a kid even if they aren't good games.  If I had any real goal, it would be to get a N64 collection of games and the multi-colored console variants.  I'm not particularly collecting games right now, so its on the backburner, but someday eventually.

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2020, 10:01:28 am »
I think for me the main goal is accessibility. I want to be able to access any game in my leisure when I please. So gathering all the games of interest as I do helps that. Most of the time my games sit in storage or on my shelf but I still like the idea of having it there and ready should a certain interest to play a certain title arise.

The problem with the subscription services is that they often change their stock, adding new content and taking others away frequently, so that reassurance of playing a particular title is left uncertain. It's great for experiencing new things, but if you have an appreciation for older content, it's simply not an appealing option.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2020, 11:07:00 am »
My main goal started out as a complete NES collection.
Over the years it has transformed into traveling all over looking for cool stuff and meeting cool people. It’s been a blast!

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2020, 04:28:53 am »
Well I have always said I wanted to collect every video game ever,of course I know I never will.Mostly I have nostalgia for Nes,Snes,Genesis,Dreamcast,Ps1,Ps2 and Xbox 360. These are the systems I want to find games for the most because their my favorites.Besides my principal goal being to play these games and have fun I also like the artwork and love to display them.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2020, 04:31:04 am by wartoy »

ferraroso

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2020, 09:01:29 pm »
In my case, I think collecting was an opportunity to own some of the things I used to dream about when I was a kid...

pzeke

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2020, 03:30:39 pm »
As I've said a thousand times already, quality over quantity.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2020, 07:59:28 pm »
At this point, Im just looking to have games that I truly enjoy and can see myself revisiting years from now which for the most part I have now. Anything that doesnt really fit that is gone. I'm no longer collecting for the sake of it like I used to. While I am adding, I am being calculated about what a buy now and not adding x game cuz its $5 and may possibly play it down the line as I feel I've reach a point where I dont want that anymore.

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2020, 06:04:20 pm »
90% of my collecting goals right now involve the following:

- Sega Saturn (US and Japanese)
- CIB N64 games
- CIB SNES games
- CIB Genesis games
- New releases that interest me on the PS4 and Switch

I've been collecting for so long and have owned so much stuff that there's not that much else that really interests me. Don't get me wrong, I love video games and my collection, however the allure of very rare games have diminished greatly. Pretty much unless it's genuinely a good game or it's a game I have some sort of personal connection to I'm not terribly interested in it.

The other 10% of my collecting interests are an assortment of games on other consoles that I'd still like to own, but they are hardly a priority of mine.

Eventually I'd like to play every game I own, and if I can't see myself doing that I really see no need to own the game. This was part of the reason (along with reason price spikes in retro games) that I downsized roughly 15% of my collection. Also sort of as a goal on mine I'd really, really like to get into collecting pinball machines and arcade cabs someday. I currently lack the space to do this, but if that ever changes you can bet I'll be at arcade auctions tracking down games like Virtua Fighter, Area 51, House of the Dead, and Top Skater.