Author Topic: Your Opinions Of The Police Quest Games  (Read 2362 times)

Your Opinions Of The Police Quest Games
« on: September 06, 2020, 02:14:49 pm »
This is a series I would like to look back on and play now that I'm no longer a kid and now that I'm grown up.

My opinion was this is not really a great series but the forth one was likable

Police Quest was a series for the PC that started in (1987) for the MS/DOS PC. In the

first game NOT VGA BUT THE ORIGINAL GAME you would use the arrow keys to walk around. And type in words on the keyboard to interact with game actions. For example if you said something gross like typing in (blow fart) you would get a message saying "My what a sick mind you have". In which this game actually was limited to typing into a text box and guessing what you had to do in this game.

for example the game came with an instruction manual the size of a bible. And you would need to type in the correct command in order to play, like walking up to a car (the correct car) and typing in the worlds "Get In" "Close Door" but first you needed to walk up to a small bulletin board and type in "Get Keys" if you walked outside without your car keys and, going to your briefing, and taking a shower after. you would get a game over.

you'd need to drive without crashing and without brakes to a cafe, then once your are their I think you would need to type in  "park""get out of car" "close door" "walk into cafe". than walk over to a table and type something like,  "Sit down"  "talk" " "Drink coffee" "get up" "answer phone" and if you did not type those to things in sequence or too slow you get a game over also.

(you need to know exactly what to type in and exactly those words in sequence or you could get a game over screen)

driving in the first game was miserable, your car would not stop and you needed to be careful not to turn too fast.

second game I had but never knew how to play it at all.

third game As far as I got was into an office but then I got game over when I got killed outside of the building if I remember correctly. The game also gave you game over if you walked into the wrong locker room 2 times while you play.

(ON 11/24/2018)
I used to enjoy Police Quest IV/4 and Police Quest V/5.

Forth game
None seem to talk about any of the "Police Quest" Series on the PC. I can tell you I really liked the 4th one, but my disc was scratched and I never finished Police Quest IV because of it.  In Police Quest 4 you walk around as a crime scene investigator  clicking on everything waiting if what you click on would actually trigger an event. It's got some RPG elements where you occasionally meet and talk to people, but I think if you do the wrong thing "just like in all Police Quest series games for PC" you get Game Over events and forces you to start over to the beginning of the game.

"fifth game"

Police Quest 5 is a SWAT simulator, with vary strict rules and stupid random deaths. With cut scenes that make absolute NO sense as the game goes on, sometimes if you shoot a wall or use a wrong object in any of the missions somehow you die, or someone else dies and you get game over though. I remember shooting any random wall and all of a sudden I killed an elder women in a living room. but the cut scene made no sense at all to me because. if you do the right thing the women is actually in the bathroom not the living room . It comes with a HUGE manual. If you don't read it you won't know how To play. Police Quest 5 is being a SWAT simulator. you will need real life proper procedure in everything you do. or else you have to start from the beginning
« Last Edit: September 06, 2020, 04:33:23 pm by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

Re: Your Opinions Of The Police Quest Games
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2020, 04:11:48 pm »
(edit shawndude82 got the remake with VGA not the original)

I just read that shawndude82 got the first game, I got to ask here if Shawndude82 started playing the police quest games yet, personally I found the all of these games really confusing, be prepared for something unlike any video game you've probably ever played,

because in the first game of Police Quest (I never played the VGA version remake), is vary confusing and hard as nails to understand how to play, anyone who has a copy need to read the manual, sometimes a typo can end your game

Been grinding for Yo-Kai medals in Final Fantasy XIV's Yo-kai event, want to get the kitty chair mount :)

New Retro purchases include:
  • Super Mario Bros. 2 (NES)
  • Police Quest: In Pursuit of the Death Angel - VGA  (PC)
  • Police Quest: Open Season (PC)
  • The Secret of Monkey Island (Sega CD)
(All CIB)
« Last Edit: September 06, 2020, 04:36:03 pm by oldgamerz »

NO APPS NEEDED

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2020, 12:18:59 am »
I played all 4 games when I was a teen.  I had the Police Quest Collection which came with the first 4 and the first Police Quest SWAT.  I never figured out SWAT but I did eventually finish 1, 2, and 4.

I got pretty far in 3, but there's this part where you have to mark the murders on a map with pins.  I never got past that part. I think you have to be really precise where you stick the pin.

As with all Sierra games from that era, it's all about trial and error.  Save early save often.  Your going to fail a LOT.

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2020, 12:26:36 am »
I loved the old Sierra Quest games.

First one I played was the first Leisure Suit Larry game on my dad's home office work PC. I might have been a bit too young for the game's subject matter at the time, but I fell completely in love with the puzzle solving gameplay where you needed to type in actions and commands, and as a bonus it boosted my English language skills considerably (I'm Danish). At every game over I restarted the game from scratch and after getting daily game overs for more than a month at the point where you need to win $10.000 in blackjack to progress in the game my dad came home one day and told me he had heard some talk of "saving the game" on a floppy disc! We then figured out how that revolutionary technology worked and I completed the game that same day :)

Some years later I got my first Amiga 500 and played most Sierra Quest games released, up to the point where they became point and click, which I didn't like at the time. As for Police Quest, I really enjoyed the first one in particular. Since you played as a cop you had to be law abiding but I figured out ways to fool the game. For example, running a red light was a no-go, which was a pain because it meant just sitting there waiting. But, turn on the car siren for no reason and you're good to go :)

But, overall I don't think the Police Quest games were the best of all those Sierra games. My favourites were The Colonel's Bequest, Leisure Suit Larry 2, Hero's Quest (aka Quest for Glory), and Conquests of Camelot.

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2020, 01:29:15 am »
I have to admit, Quest for Glory are the only Sierra games I never played.  I played all the other Sierra adventure games, so it's weird for me to never have touched them.

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2020, 03:05:03 pm »
I only ever played the first Police Quest game, since my uncle had it. I did play a lot of the other Sierra adventure games though. The Space Quest series was always a personal favourite of mine.

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2020, 05:49:49 pm »
I played all 4 games when I was a teen.  I had the Police Quest Collection which came with the first 4 and the first Police Quest SWAT.  I never figured out SWAT but I did eventually finish 1, 2, and 4.

I got pretty far in 3, but there's this part where you have to mark the murders on a map with pins.  I never got past that part. I think you have to be really precise where you stick the pin.

As with all Sierra games from that era, it's all about trial and error.  Save early save often.  Your going to fail a LOT.

I never finished any police quest game but

In Police Quest SWAT I eventually got past both the 2 combat training missions and the elderly women ,mission on disc 1.

Made it to the first 2nd Disc mission where you are in a warehouse. And needed to do something about a man holding a gun. I never figured out how to get past the 2nd live mission. For those who do not know Police Quest 5 SWAT alone had 4 discs of gameplay and all police quest games I've tried to play were on the PC.

If I were you, I'd try police quest SWAT again, because if you got past the 3 of them then you'd probably get past the whole game of Police Quest SWAT. You might need to read the manual though

and make sure you have all 4 discs ready, before playing. However I don't know if it would work on a modern PC though :-\

You don't have to but only if you feel like it, :)
« Last Edit: September 07, 2020, 05:55:05 pm by oldgamerz »

NO APPS NEEDED

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2020, 03:35:31 pm »
I only ever played the first Police Quest game, since my uncle had it. I did play a lot of the other Sierra adventure games though. The Space Quest series was always a personal favourite of mine.

Yes!  Space Quest was the shiz!  I haven't given up hope that we'll get a new game.  The Two Guys from Andromeda are still around, and they're still active in the gaming community.  The galaxy needs a janitor now more than ever.

In Police Quest SWAT I eventually got past both the 2 combat training missions and the elderly women ,mission on disc 1.

Made it to the first 2nd Disc mission where you are in a warehouse. And needed to do something about a man holding a gun. I never figured out how to get past the 2nd live mission. For those who do not know Police Quest 5 SWAT alone had 4 discs of gameplay and all police quest games I've tried to play were on the PC.

If I were you, I'd try police quest SWAT again, because if you got past the 3 of them then you'd probably get past the whole game of Police Quest SWAT. You might need to read the manual though

and make sure you have all 4 discs ready, before playing. However I don't know if it would work on a modern PC though :-\

I do plan on owning all the Police Quest games, so I will remember your advice.  Iirc, the first SWAT game was also affecting my anxiety though, since it uses real people in fmv.  I remember trying to skip the opening orientation scene in SWAT and the chief got mad and yelled at me :( 

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2020, 05:16:18 pm »

I do plan on owning all the Police Quest games, so I will remember your advice.  Iirc, the first SWAT game was also affecting my anxiety though, since it uses real people in fmv.  I remember trying to skip the opening orientation scene in SWAT and the chief got mad and yelled at me :(

Yea when I first saw the chief yelling I got a little paranoid. When I first saw the cutscene I was only a kid I don't really remember the open orientation video, but I remember that if you did not do exactly what you were told to do in training in a timed manner. you would also get yelled at from your boss.

Yea a little fun fact about the first police quest game. One of the designers was a real retired police officer named  Jim Walls. I also heard the Police Quest games may or may not have been used to train real police officers before the line of duty. I haven't played any of the other Quest games other then Police games though. but to this day I've never played anything exact alike any of the Police Quest games.

Looking back at games like police quest. I would assume once you figured out how to solve all the puzzles correctly. It's really not a game that is re-playable once you've leaned what to do. Especially SWAT since once you learn what to point and what to click the game loses it's point.  :-\
« Last Edit: September 08, 2020, 05:19:39 pm by oldgamerz »

NO APPS NEEDED