Author Topic: PSX turns 25 in NA  (Read 2252 times)

mrkonasoni

PSX turns 25 in NA
« on: September 09, 2020, 02:34:02 pm »
The original PlayStation is 25 in NA.

Since more of 10 years I have been reading and watching the background story for the development of the console, at the time it was truly a revolution just like the NES or GB were.

I have always liked the classic design of the console, it looks big and like a classic memory of forgotten times, hilarious, though, I dont like the small one, its not bad but it always remember me of those chinese knockoffs.

Its impossible deny that the console was memorable, from the system opening screen to the catalogue, the console always has memories from people that loved and had heartwarming experiences playing with it.

Just take a look to stories from users from the 90s and I want to believe you will understand why the console was so important back then in the 90s.

My favorite games is everything from Konami, Pepsiman, Megaman 8, Bubsy 3D, Crash, and a lot of games more.

The 90s was the age of gold of gaming, and of course it was for a bunch of classic videogame companies.

For all the great memories and more I am happy of celebrate the 25th anniversary of the console for NA.

« Last Edit: September 09, 2020, 05:45:52 pm by mrkonasoni »
I always have problems learning English, but I still love to talk a lot, I need no reason to be kind, after everything I have gone through I found a little peace.

pzeke

Re: PSX turns 25 in NA
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2020, 03:52:13 pm »
Well, first thing's first...

I know I'm being rather anal, but hey.

Also...

My favorite games is everything from Konami, Pepsiman, Megaman 8, Bubsy 3D, Crash, and a lot of games more.

I like everything that feels someone gave a damn about the quality of the game, I like creative level design with obstacles to sort and if you offer me that I am open to give it a thumb up to the game if it works and feels fairly designed.

I dont like anything that feels like obviously shovelware

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2020, 03:58:51 pm »
I never owned a PS1, but I played it quite a bit at other places, as I had a Nintendo 64 until the Xbox/PS2 came out.  I'd go to a card shop in my small town and spend a bunch of time hanging out there playing games like Tekken 3, Twisted Metal 2, Crash Bandicoot, and probably a couple others.  At one of my friends place, we'd play Tony Hawk and Final Fantasy 7 and I played a number of other games.

mrkonasoni

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2020, 04:37:10 pm »
- Answering to pzeke

Lmao, nah I liked it, I am easy with it because well the game was made for people that didn´t had a previous base of 3D games at the time, there some stuff I like about it or believe its well made and at least the developers knew it was doomed when Mario 64 first appeared in the public, at least the developers tried, if not well, lmao

- Answering to @kamikazekeeg

I guess most people that liked videogames at the time played at least once a game from the console, a guy mentioned in the forum that maybe most catalogue from the console is ignored and I think so, the good point is that people that want a catalogue with a large number of unknown titles will enjoy it.
I always have problems learning English, but I still love to talk a lot, I need no reason to be kind, after everything I have gone through I found a little peace.

pzeke

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2020, 04:54:28 pm »
- Answering to pzeke

Lmao, nah I liked it, I am easy with it because well the game was made for people that didn´t had a previous base of 3D games at the time, there some stuff I like about it or believe its well made and at least the developers knew it was doomed when Mario 64 first appeared in the public, at least the developers tried, if not well, lmao

Hey, guilty pleasures aren't a sin. There's no shame on that.

When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.

mrkonasoni

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2020, 05:05:46 pm »
- Answering to pzeke.

Thats fine, I have always liked to be positive and do the best for watching the stuff from overhated stuff, of course I wont try to convince other people to think different or that my own opinion is the correct one.

I hope you liked the console and its 25th anniversary.

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2020, 07:35:55 pm »
- Answering to pzeke

- Answering to @kamikazekeeg

I guess most people that liked videogames at the time played at least once a game from the console, a guy mentioned in the forum that maybe most catalogue from the console is ignored and I think so, the good point is that people that want a catalogue with a large number of unknown titles will enjoy it.

I think you were reading one of my posts about the PlayStation 1 catalog being somewhat ignored.  :)
yea I played one at my dad's home when I was younger and it first came out.

At childhood I barely even knew what was available for the console, since my dad didn't have that many games for it. Now that I can afford my own consoles, I've found this out that the PS1 has a ton of games.

The PlayStation 1 console has something for everyone, . It was a great machine, and vary sturdy well built. but it's not something I would buy today, since I use my PS3 for all my PlayStation 1 games, in which is much more convenient in my opinion, but it's always best to turn off the PS1 controller vibration in the PS3's menu to avoid problems.
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

sworddude

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2020, 09:07:08 am »
- Answering to pzeke

First of all bubsy 3d released when mario 64 was already on the market.

2nd of all with so many great 3d games on the ps1 how is bubsy 3d your favourite

if your going obsecure at least pick something decent like blasto, kingsley's adventure, ape escape as some examples.

With the insane library of great 3d games that the ps1 had, picking bubsy 3d as a favourite is just a bit unexpected.

guilty pleasures exists, but even when you could still enjoy the game, there are clearly superior options out there if where talking the best games on the system for certain genre's

Bubsy 3d is one of the worst games on the system a prime example of shovel ware.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 09:12:10 am by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2020, 09:13:55 am »
- Answering to pzeke

2nd of all with so many great 3d games on the ps1 how is bubsy 3d your favourite

if your going obsecure at least pick something decent like blasto, kingsley's adventure, ape escape as some examples.

With the insane library of great 3d games that the ps1 had, picking bubsy 3d as a favourite is just a bit unexpected.

guilty pleasures exists, but even when you could still enjoy the game, there are clearly superior options out there if where talking the best games on the system for certain genre's

Bubsy 3d is one of the worst games on the system a prime example of shovel ware.

Completely on board til you called it shovelware.  Being of low quality doesn't make something shovelware.

sworddude

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2020, 09:31:16 am »
- Answering to pzeke

Completely on board til you called it shovelware.  Being of low quality doesn't make something shovelware.

I do not know what you would consider shovelware.

but last time I checked

Low-budget, poor-quality games, released in the hopes of being purchased by unsuspecting customers, are often referred to as "shovelware". "

bubsy 3d is even mentioned in the shovelware list on the wiki

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_games_notable_for_negative_reception

one of the worst games ever made

I have seen tons of people referring to the bubsy series as shovelware, not even just bubsy 3d. It's amusing how they actually made new games with bubsy in the current era. It's a game series that existed purely to profit from the mascot craze at the time but the bad kind with pretty much no redeeming qualities. Very mediocre to bad games even on snes wich was it's peak of it maybe having potential to be decent.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 09:43:30 am by sworddude »

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2020, 09:48:59 am »
That... is not a list of shovelware?  In fact it says it leaves out types games that are generally considered shovelware.  And neither the wiki for Bubsy 3D or shovelware mention the other one.

The previous two were moderate hits and Bubsy 3D was fully intended to be a big game.    The developer just didn't know what to do in 3D.  Is Earthworm Jim 3D shovelware?  Or any of the other franchises that botched that jump?

sworddude

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2020, 10:02:43 am »
According to the bubsy wiki even the snes and genesis versions where pretty mediocre in terms of sales.

Following the disappointing commercial performance of both Bubsy II and Bubsy in: Fractured Furry Tales,

Meaning probably low budget, why the hell did they keep it going that's the real question. I doubt there first game was that succesfull.

but i guess your right, it might not be shovelware. In other words bubsy 3d is a worse experience than actual ps1 shovelware
« Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 10:08:25 am by sworddude »

mrkonasoni

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2020, 12:35:18 pm »
It was a bad idea that I mentioned that I dont think Bubsy 3D is that bad uh? Of course I dont think is better than Crash, Soyeo or other examples, but I put it there because at least I can feel fascinated with the product, it was made prior the development of 3D platformers so I can forgive the developers not knowing how to proceed at all, and liked I said the developers knew the game was doomed when they first saw Mario 64, the game is special for some of my friends so I put there too because it is special for my loved ones.

Anyway I certainly dont think Bubsy 3D is a shovelware game because they tried and accepted the game needed improvemrnts, for me is just a curiosity from the 90s that I can appreciate.

Of course maybe I am too soft with it, but I have never liked to be that guy beating a dead horse nor I am saying you should agree with me.

Opps.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 12:37:17 pm by mrkonasoni »

sworddude

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2020, 12:56:21 pm »
It's fine by me.

Just a opinion on my part how bubsy 3d is one of the best games on the system in your experience while there are so many actually cool 3d games on the ps1 console.

To each their own I guess. different tastes exist after all

pzeke

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2020, 01:03:09 pm »
People complain about seether and that other guy and don't even remotely see sworddude's low-key troll game.

You have no right telling someone what they should or shouldn't like. THAT comment right there was completely unexpected...and unnecessary. If you don't have anything to say, then don't say anything at all.

Now, in all seriousness, let's show some respect to mrkonasoni and don't hijack his thread.

- Answering to pzeke.

Thats fine, I have always liked to be positive and do the best for watching the stuff from overhated stuff, of course I wont try to convince other people to think different or that my own opinion is the correct one.

I hope you liked the console and its 25th anniversary.

Lo que quise decir con mi mensaje anterior es que esta más que bien que te guste un video juego que sea criticado o hasta odiado por otros. A mi por ejemplo me gusta Army Men: Soldiers of Misfortune y Men in Black II: Alien Escape para el PS2, los cuales son dos juegos que no fueron muy bien recibidos. Para los gustos, los colores es básicamente lo que quise decir originalmente para ponerlo de una forma más simplificada.

Y sí, disfruté la consola mucho. Mi primer juego fue Final Fantasy VII y desde ese entonces me facinan los RPGs - ese juego fue de hecho propiamente mi primer RPG. Cuando mi mamá me regalo la consola, recuerdo haber alquilado Fighting Force y Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee. Definitivamente fueron días que recordare por siempre ya que fueron bien gratos. Buenas memorias sin duda.

It was a bad idea that I mentioned that I dont think Bubsy 3D is that bad uh? Of course I dont think is better than Crash, Soyeo or other examples, but I put it there because at least I can feel fascinated with the product, it was made prior the development of 3D platformers so I can forgive the developers not knowing how to proceed at all, and liked I said the developers knew the game was doomed when they first saw Mario 64, the game is special for some of my friends so I put there too because it is special for my loved ones.

Anyway I certainly dont think Bubsy 3D is a shovelware game because they tried and accepted the game needed improvemrnts, for me is just a curiosity from the 90s that I can appreciate.

Of course maybe I am too soft with it, but I have never liked to be that guy beating a dead horse nor I am saying you should agree with me.

Opps.

Like I said previously, you play and like whatever game you want. Don't mind the assholes.