Author Topic: Telly's Tasks - VGC DB Worklog  (Read 3521 times)

tripredacus

Re: Telly's Tasks - VGC DB Worklog
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2017, 10:06:12 am »
One thing to note about my use of "FBC" for marking images. If you notice I don't use a Y or X for FBC columns because sometimes I find an image that I will save but won't actually use. For for my list for F, I can put these:
F: front box image
S: stock photo if it is a pre-release stock photo showing the box and accessories outside of it, or stock photo construction (not actual box photo)
P: proof pic with a watermark, or other things obscuring it

So I like to note which items have a re-release stock photo and if an entry only has that, then there is the possibility it may not exist. The proof one means I have a picture but I can't use it, but it has more weight than just having a stock photo.

Good for you to have release date. It is a column I added way after I started and wish I had it from the beginning. :\

telly

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2017, 10:34:17 am »
That does make a lot of sense, there are some stock photos for a particuarly rare console box (a Pikmin 2 bundle in Japan) that I was for sure did not exist because all I could find was a stock photo.

I did eventually find a photo of the open box with the contents inside it though, so now I know it's real.
Currently Playing:
3D Dot Game Heroes (PS3) Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman (Switch)

My music collection | My Backloggery

telly

« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2017, 02:49:08 pm »
UPDATE:

Progress has been slow on the GameCube consoles, just because I'm so busy with school and work. I think I'm at around 130 or so at this point. Hopefully I can make some good progress on it over the summer because I want to start updating the database once I have all the information I need.

I also want to make sure I added all the Canadian GameCube titles so I can have that done as well.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 02:51:49 pm by telly »
Currently Playing:

telly

« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2017, 10:55:42 am »
UPDATE:

I'm up to 166 variations documented now. Starting to zone in on all the images that I need, and confirming those last pesky box variants. Finding back box art of consoles is tough, especially for the European releases. Luckily only about 13% of the consoles have no image art whatsoever, which is encouraging. Once I have front box art for as many consoles as I can I will start adding stuff finally  :-X

I also need to track down some good images of the dev kits that are not the NPDP/NR/TDEV consoles
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 10:57:23 am by telly »
Currently Playing:

telly

« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2017, 01:56:22 pm »
UPDATE:

Haven't mentioned on the GameCube consoles in a while, but I haven't forgotten about it. I'm up to 225 variations, and found a lot of info about the Korean releases, which was nice. At this point the one thing I need to learn how to do is photoshop so I can edit and change the angle on some of those weirder box photos. That's really the last thing other than adding the the odd release here or there that I missed. I would like to get everything done and uploaded to the site by the end of the Christmas holiday/vacation.

I also plan on starting a new thread in the database section to document the whole process that I did so that people who aren't on VGC will be able to find the master list and follow along with why everything is so detailed, and they don't have to dig through this worklog or the actual list cold to find everything.
Currently Playing:

tripredacus

« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2017, 10:09:08 am »
Sometimes it seems like I spend most of my time editing images.

telly

« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2017, 10:13:27 am »
Yeah, I have a huge folder with a ton of images that need to be cropped, rotated or whatnot. Hopefully it won't take super long  :-X
Currently Playing:

telly

« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2018, 03:16:40 pm »
UPDATE

I added in most of the entries in to the database over the holidays, and only have a few more to go.  The last big hurdle is adding the standard releases, which tripredacus has been very helpful in providing some guidance. Unfortunately GameCube console boxes are pretty standard across the board so naming the variations has been challenging.

The other issue is I'm still looking for good pictures of european boxes so I can come up with a good naming system for them. Once that is done the rest of those variants will be added and the section will be complete!  ;D
Currently Playing:

telly

« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2020, 10:30:05 pm »
Right now I'm working through adding all the Canadian 3DS games. Have probably added about 60 so far. Starting with the 1st party stuff because it's easy to identify.

Keeping track of a list of titles I've confirmed had a Canadian release, but can't find good art of at this time.

- Miitopia
- New Super Mario Bros 2 (red case, 77335A)
- New Super Mario Bros 2 (red case, 77335B) https://vgcollect.com/item/185540
- Pokémon Rumble World https://vgcollect.com/item/185536
- Super Mystery Dungeon
- Ultimate NES Remix - Nintendo Selects https://vgcollect.com/item/185541
- Captain Toad
- Hey! Pikmin
« Last Edit: September 04, 2020, 09:44:29 am by telly »
Currently Playing:

telly

« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2020, 08:59:34 am »
One of these days I'm going to really put a big effort into adding the large collections of video game vinyl and CDs to the site. Just added a couple of things I bought off of Materia Collective and there are so many others.

I'll probably have lots of questions about how to clean up some of the listings as I start going through and adding stuff.
Currently Playing:

dhaabi

« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2020, 07:09:17 pm »
Right now I'm working through adding all the Canadian 3DS games. Have probably added about 60 so far. Starting with the 1st party stuff because it's easy to identify.

Keeping track of a list of titles I've confirmed had a Canadian release, but can't find good art of at this time.

- Miitopia
- New Super Mario Bros 2 (red case)
- Pokémon Rumble World
- Ultimate NES Remix - Nintendo Selects
- Captain Toad
- Hey! Pikmin

I decided to look into seeing what I could find on my own, and it seems that New Super Mario Bros. 2 -  Red Case may also have two variants. I found one with a white ESRB text box and a second with a black ESRB text box.

tripredacus

« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2020, 11:54:33 am »
Need to get the GC HW category fixed up, regarding the names now what we have a format.
https://vgcollect.com/browse/gchardware

Particularly what stands out is that color are not formatted as descriptors, rather as editions.

telly

« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2020, 10:05:08 am »
Yes, you're right. Will try to get to this soon.
Currently Playing: