Author Topic: PSX turns 25 in NA  (Read 2226 times)

mrkonasoni

Re: PSX turns 25 in NA
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2020, 01:13:10 pm »
- Answering to sworddude

I am not angry or mad if I sounded mad, I never said I think Bubsy 3D is one of the better games, just that is one of my favorite because at least I can feel something for the background story and it is special for people that supported me.

Anyway everything is all right.

- Answering to pzeke

Todo esta bien, gracias por tus consejos y memorias las aprecio bastante.
Al final si algo te gusta te gusta y si no le hace daño a nadie más no hay nada de que sentirse mal.

Gracias por tus palabras.
I always have problems learning English, but I still love to talk a lot, I need no reason to be kind, after everything I have gone through I found a little peace.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2020, 02:16:53 pm »
I LOVE the PS1. Easily one of my favorite consoles. I have over 100 games for it. (I know that's small potatoes for some people here, but that's one of the largest game libraries I own for a console, I'm not a complete library guy, I just buy what I want to play.) The only console I have more games for is PS2 (and that's just because GameStop was clearing a LOT out in my town when they were no longer accepting them).

So many good shoot-em ups (Einhander, Thunder Force V, G Darius, RayStorm, etc.), RPGs (Final Fantasies, Legend of Dragoon, Legend of Legaia, King's Field, etc.), platformers (Spyro, Crash Bandicoot, Pac-Man World, Gex, Rayman, etc.), and just unique games like Twisted Metal, Bushido Blade, Intelligent Qube, and others.

It is damn underrated in 2020, because so many of the kiddies that didn't grow up with it just look at it as "that crappy 3D graphics console". They don't understand the innovation that this console brought to the game. Everyone, companies big and little upstart companies, were experimenting with 3D graphics. Trying to find what worked, and what didn't. And that bred innovation on a level that we simply haven't seen since. Some of it worked, some of it didn't, but it was all very interesting and you were never bored.

3 cheers for the PlayStation!

« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2020, 02:51:51 pm »
It is damn underrated in 2020, because so many of the kiddies that didn't grow up with it just look at it as "that crappy 3D graphics console". They don't understand the innovation that this console brought to the game. Everyone, companies big and little upstart companies, were experimenting with 3D graphics. Trying to find what worked, and what didn't. And that bred innovation on a level that we simply haven't seen since. Some of it worked, some of it didn't, but it was all very interesting and you were never bored.

In general, I don't think people are wrong to be critical of those old early 3D titles.  Even the good ones are tough to look at these days.  However, next to the comparable N64 the PS1 has a ton of titles that have aged like wine, because they weren't afraid to stick to older design paradigms.  Rayman, Symphony of the Night and so many others are still terrific today.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 03:00:07 pm by Cartagia »

telekill

« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2020, 09:04:22 am »
The first Playstation was revolutionary. IMO, it nearly perfected the controller with the Dual Shock. The big part of why it was revolutionary though? The games. Oh my gawd the games! I don't think there was a generation before or since that has supplied so many incredible new IPs. Tomb Raider, Resident Evil, Dino Crisis, Destruction Derby, Oddworld, Twisted Metal, MGS, .... I could go on and on. Such an incredible generation. In fact, it was such an incredible gen that I honestly have trouble narrowing down best of games for it because there are so many to choose from.

As an example, I'm making a Hall/Wall of fame creating a shadowbox display for a favorite game from each major gen that I've been gaming. PS1 is next up on the list and I eventually picked the Tomb Raider series, but it was neck and neck with Resident Evil for a long time for me.

I remember seeing Sony show off the Playstation before it released and as a Sega fan, my jaw dropped. I saw what I believed was the cool system (Playstation) and then what I saw coming up in my fan camp... the Saturn. The $100 difference was also a huge difference to a 14 year old that wasn't yet employed anywhere. That said, I knew I wanted a Playstation and I started to do extra chores around the house. Then I moved out to the street and started doing extra chores for the neighbors next door. Then I moved on to the entire neighborhood offering lawn mowing, dog walking, house sitting, etc jobs for the entire summer of '95. I worked my ass off that summer to afford a Playstation and when all was said and done... I raked in about $150... half of what I needed.

I lived with my grandparents at the time and they saw how much I worked for it and they stated that if I didn't mind knowing what I got that Christmas. and if I handed over the $150 I had earned, that they would get me a Playstation that year as my gift. Of course, I immediately handed over the money and gave them a massive thank you and a hug just on their word.

That Christmas, I got to open up my first Playstation. They got me Ridge Racer with it. My uncle got me a memory card. My dad got me Destruction Derby. It was the best Christmas memory I had until I had kids of my own.

I've stuck with Playstation ever since. I can't wait to continue on with the PS5.

« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2020, 10:56:02 am »
Funny enough I actually bough my first PS1 the day the PS2 came out. I bought it from the Software Etc at my local mall, and the guy at the counter was like "are you sure you're not here for a PS2?" I would have loved to have bought a PS2, but I didn't have enough money and all the PS2's were spoken for anyways. I mainly bought it to play FF7 after a neighbor made that game sound like the greatest thing ever made. Luckily it mostly lived up to the hype he created around it, and I really attribute my deep love for JRPGs in the early 2000s to the PS1.

As a collector it's been one of my favorite consoles to collect for given how many great games there are for it, as well as many, many decent titles that flew completely under the radar. Sure, some of these titles wee a bitch to track down and really hit my wallet hard, but hunting them down was something I really enjoyed.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2020, 12:54:48 pm »

In general, I don't think people are wrong to be critical of those old early 3D titles.  Even the good ones are tough to look at these days.  However, next to the comparable N64 the PS1 has a ton of titles that have aged like wine, because they weren't afraid to stick to older design paradigms.  Rayman, Symphony of the Night and so many others are still terrific today.

Who cares how they look if they're fun

« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2020, 01:01:40 pm »

I generally don't, but in addition to looks a lot of them have far more janky control schemes that what people are used to nowadays.  Not a PSX title, but GoldenEye immediately springs to mind.

And that's not to say that these are flaws, it was an experimental time, and most did the best they could with what they got.  I'm just saying the PSX did a far better job of refining older looks and mechanics than the N64 ever did.  And I say this as someone who never had a PSX back then.

sworddude

« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2020, 05:41:17 pm »

I generally don't, but in addition to looks a lot of them have far more janky control schemes that what people are used to nowadays.  Not a PSX title, but GoldenEye immediately springs to mind.

And that's not to say that these are flaws, it was an experimental time, and most did the best they could with what they got.  I'm just saying the PSX did a far better job of refining older looks and mechanics than the N64 ever did.  And I say this as someone who never had a PSX back then.

on the other side of the spectrum 3d games like mario 64, ocarina of time majora's mask and starfox 64 are still fun to play and in all honesty more fun than most newer entries let alone at the time in the early 3d era. kinda hard to beat. games like ocarina of time or mario 64 where simply not possible on a ps1, it would be much slower paced on a ps1 console to keep up with them cd loading times.

While 3d games on ps1 where great they didn't age as well as some of the n64 finest 3d titles.

The n64 was the more powerfull console that allowed for more fluid gameplay in them 3d enviroments, ps1 was limited to load in small fractions at a time or had to trade in fluid gameplay for something more slow paced.

Exceptions like crash bandicoot exist, but it is on a smaller more 2d esk scale in wich the game didn't have to load large chunk's of the area to keep the gameplay fluid aswell. and while spyro had bigger area's aswell it looked allot worse than them better 3d games on n64. There is a reason why the ps1 was so rpg heavy, rpg's while pretty in looks where pretty slow paced perfect for a console that could load in tons of details but lacks the speed for something fast like mario 64.

Ps1 is also pretty poor with them multiplayer options, and usually just 2 player. N64 kinda remained uncontested in this department even with plenty of 4 player games.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2020, 05:46:48 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2020, 09:23:24 pm »
That's definitely a matter of opinion. I'm still not a fan of a lot of the N64 must-haves. And I'm a big Mario/Zelda/Metroid guy.

I really enjoyed the FPSs on the system, more than anything.

sworddude

« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2020, 09:11:39 am »
If where talking popular 3d game series that has aged the most poorly the number 1 spot has to be tomb raider

That series while impressive at the time really doesn't look to great these days. I have no complaints with early 3d ps1 games in terms of looks they look pretty interesting, but tomb raider is definitely one of those games on them early 3d consoles that looks pretty rough in terms of visuals.

« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2020, 03:23:50 pm »
For some nostalgia, at least for me, here's a video interview made around its 10th anniversary for Gamespot (reposted by youtuber OldGamerStuff).  https://youtu.be/mHqKJE5xjxE

Warmsignal

« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2020, 01:00:40 pm »
I've had one since the later years of it's relevancy on the market and yet I don't think I've ever once felt nostalgic about the console. I can't put my finger on what it is, but I've never felt much of an affinity for the system, despite collecting a crap-ton of games for it.

Sworddude and others will throw a fit at this notion I'm sure. I'm well aware, the PS has X,Y, and Z legendary games in this and that genre, or so I'm told. The appeal just doesn't sink in. What ends up capturing my attention most about the PS are these obscure deep cut titles that the majority do not gives a rat's ass about, or even hate. There's some interesting quirk to be had on PS. The deeper you dig, the better. Metal Gear? Get that out of my face. Shadow Masters? Now THAT's a PS game.

Maybe it's the effects of a longstanding bias I've had since the mid-90s. I was an N64 owner primarily, and I have an undying love for the kind of games that N64 did well. On the other hand, I don't have a lot of love for the types of games that thrived on PS.

Suffice it to say - I really don't have anything solidly against the system. But when topics of praise or milestones like the PS turning 25 hit... I don't feel like a member of my family is having birthday. I feel like some kid who I hung out with briefly as a teen, who I don't really know or talk to anymore, is maybe having a birthday, I think, how old is that guy again?

For those of you who undoubtedly love the console, more power to ya.

sworddude

« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2020, 02:09:28 pm »
While I really love the ps1 system

I can definitely see where warmsignal is coming from i kinda feel the same way.

For me personally I'd say the peaks on n64 where quite a bit higher than on ps1. now don't get me wrong ps1 had amazing titles in especially the 2d department Symphony of the night

But n64 has mario 64, starfox 64, ocarina time and majora's mask, in terms of party games it was also unmatched with smash bros mario party the mario sports games. It's kinda hard to deny that nintendo's cast of characters is way more memorable than pretty much anything from sony so aside from the quality of the games it's cast of characters is unmatched.

metal gear, spyro and crash are good in their own right, They never reached those same peaks as mario or zelda by a longshot. let alone that even nintendo's side games such as starfox, kirby and F zero metroid also have memorable characters that stand out and actually beat those big titles out.

Having a good cast of characters can connect the players more to their games, Heck take smash bros compared to playstation all stars, Sony's cast was so lifeless in comparison. it really shows how boring sony's characters are outside of their games in comparison with few exceptions

And while ctr racing exists, a great game, it still feels off compared to the iconic cast with mario kart 64 let alone it's amazing battle mode. For single player I get why ctr is loved in terms of mission but These games are mainly for multiplayer don't enjoy these to much in single player.  and N64 didn't just have mario kart F zero X was a pretty amazing racing game wich I'd rather play than CTR aswell.

Also agree that while the big titles are usually pretty decent, I'd rather play the more niche titles like floating runners, samurai gunman, jackie chan stuntmaster or that 2d zelda clone named alundra to name some examples.

N64 had almost no titles but when they did something good, it was excellent, ps1 had allot, but allot was alright to pretty good especially if where talking the big titles that's my 2 cents why the nintendo bias for n64 and cube higher compared to ps1 or ps2.

Sony's power is in the more niche titles for me but niche titles rarely give a shot in making characters memorable outside of the games Klonoa might be an exception wich was a big waste could have been an amazing quality mascot for sony, the big titles never reached those peaks I'd say, The niche titles are the actual stars for sony consoles, For Nintendo it's the opposite their very best titles are the first party titles, the best titles on the system majority with an iconic cast and a rich history of games back than and that still exist today. That being said Nintendo has both because even side 3rd party games can reach pretty high peaks aswell. Sin and punishment and the goemon series on n64 for example. and rare was technically 3rd party aswell.

Ps2 has the exact same thing compared to the gamecube. I'd even say the effect is worse in that console line even though I really like the ps2 allot. but I don't think any of the more obsecure titles beat nintendo's very best titles on the system.

Let's pick up big titles for ps2.

Final fantasy X
Kingdom hearts
GTA
metal gear 2
ratchet and clank
jak & daxter
gran tourismo
god of war

Compared to cube

Smash bros melee
mario kart double dash
mario sunshine
zelda Windwaker
metroid prime
F zero GX
luigi's mansion
mario strikers football
mario power tennis
These 2 are the best mario sports games of all time nintendo definitely dropped the ball on the sports series after cube. Only tennis aces kinda comes close.

Nintendo's first party big sales lineup was killer on gamecube.

Seriously if ps2 didn't have such an amazing library with tons of niche titles I'd absolutely call the ps2 library trash. These big selling titles on ps2 are the main reason why I disliked ps2 for so long until I finally noticed how many amazing games the ps2 actually had.

kingdom hearts and god of war ratchet and clank metal gear where alright. meanwhile the cube's best selling titles where amazing and tons of multiplayer options aswell. cube vs ps2 Has always been a slaughterfest imo if not for the huge library of niche titles.

I really think this is the reason why the nintendo bias is so high, their big titles are amazing plus a nice cast. sony's lineup is pretty alright and mainly impressive at the time for it's more realistic games and less cartoon like characters compared to Nintendo.

If I could choose between only picking a single big cube title vs all the big titles for ps2. I'd go for the cube it's that much better imo. if not for the more niche games I'd definitely not collect for them sony systems.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2020, 02:44:01 pm by sworddude »