Author Topic: Bad games you thought were good  (Read 4189 times)

wartoy

PRO Supporter

Bad games you thought were good
« on: October 04, 2020, 09:18:42 pm »
Sometime I like a game but the popular opinion is that it's bad are their any games you liked even though you think your the only one who did? Well here is my list.

Nintendo
Festers Quest
Wrath of the black Mantra
Strider
Xexyz

Super Nintendo
Lagoon
Final Fantasy mystic Quest
Rival Turf
X-Kaliber 2097

Sega Genesis
Centurion Defender of Rome
James Buster Douglas Knockout Boxing

Sega Dreamcast
Hidden & Dangerous

Xbox 360
Enchanted arms
Spectal Forces 3
Call of Juarez

Ps2
Extermination

Xbox One
Generation Zero
Strange Brigade

Ps4
Order 1886

These games may not be perfect but for the price I feel they're worth a play. Do you like any games you feel are underappreciated?

Re: Bad games you thought were good
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2020, 09:30:20 pm »
Friday the 13th on NES is not a very intuitive game, but once you know what to do, it's actually not bad.  Bordering on really good.

Similar thoughts on Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.  It's very difficult, probably too difficult, but it's not bad.  And the dam isn't that tough.

dagazconcept

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2020, 09:35:28 pm »
NES
-MagMax  (same music throughout the game, oh geez..., but I love them shooters :) )
-Dragon's Lair (ya, the infamous non-intuitive drawbridge beginning stage of the game that everyone hated, but once I got past it, I felt some real accomplishment  8) )

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2020, 10:12:41 pm »
I stand by the fact that Jaws is fun.

megasilverx1

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2020, 01:48:48 am »
-Mega Man X6 (the level design and nightmare system are so poorly thought out, I find enjoyment in it's absurdity.)

-Mega Man & Bass (not a huge fan of the stage select set up, but I personally don't have a huge problem with the game and usually end up playing as Mega Man whenever I go back to this game, especially if it's the GBA version.)

-Sonic the Hedgehog 2006 (while bloated, I didn't find the game to be any worse or better than the two Sonic Adventure games. Plus it's more or less Sonic Adventure 3; same structure and another unnecessarily dark/serious story)

-Jaws NES (found it to be an inoffensive RPG-like little romp)

-Virtual Boy games (people always get stuck on the interesting but extremely flawed hardware, but most of the 22 games for the console range from great to average. Games like VB Wario Land, Jack Bros., and Innsmouth no Yakata deserve to be tried by more people...just preferably on an emulator.)

-Legend of Spyro games (I found the games to be short and fun enough that the repetitiveness didn't bother me. Didn't get too far in the third entry though.) 

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2020, 01:56:50 am »
NES
-MagMax  (same music throughout the game, oh geez..., but I love them shooters :) )
-Dragon's Lair (ya, the infamous non-intuitive drawbridge beginning stage of the game that everyone hated, but once I got past it, I felt some real accomplishment  8) )

I would love to find a version of that MagMax that someone has customized with some actual good music lol It's not particularly a good game, but I remember liking it as a kid.

For me...Quest 64 maybe? It's been a long while since I've played it, but I remember people not liking it, but I sorta enjoyed it.  I'd probably not be into it anymore, but someday I'll go back to play it.

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2020, 02:05:23 am »
NES
Bart vs the World - I always had fun with most of the early Simpsons games.

SNES
Maximum Carnage & The Death and Return of Superman - Before I ever got into comic books I only had a basic understanding of Supes and Spidey.  I found the stories in these two games amazing and it hooked me right away.
Not Seperation Anxiety though...  Didn't really care for that one.

Genesis
Comix Zone - I have honestly never seen anything like that before where you can bust through the borders of a comic.

Sega CD
Double Switch - the story was intriguing, I only wish there was an option that let you watch each scene without being interrupted.  Again, I was not up to date on my pop culture so I had no idea who Corey Haim was.

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2020, 07:06:56 am »
The Order: 1886 is great.

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2020, 07:20:49 am »

Yeah, I think this is another misjudged LJN title.  Like Ft13th it doesn't really explain anything, but once you understand what's going on it's not so bad.

For me...Quest 64 maybe? It's been a long while since I've played it, but I remember people not liking it, but I sorta enjoyed it.  I'd probably not be into it anymore, but someday I'll go back to play it.

I almost said this as well.  I beat it back in 98 or so, and had fun.  I've got a feeling it has aged like garbage, though.

Maximum Carnage

I thought people generally liked this one?

kashell

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2020, 07:51:27 am »
Alpha Protocol - it's buggy and clunky, but I enjoyed it so much that I played it four times in a row, achieving the platinum trophy along the way.

ferraroso

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2020, 07:55:52 am »
Duke Nukem Forever.
I mean, it could have been WAY better, but it's far from being as bad as people make it looks like...

undertakerprime

PRO Supporter

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2020, 08:06:13 am »
Atari 2600 - Pac-Man. Some people put this next to ET in level of badness, but I actually got some enjoyment out of it. The ghost flicker didn’t bother me (I mean, they’re GHOSTS after all...)

NES - The Three Stooges, WWF Wrestlemania Challenge

GB - Castlevania The Adventure. Yeah, it’s really slow, but I got used to it. I was able to beat it fairly regularly.

Genesis - Pit Fighter, Super Thunder Blade

PS1 - WWF In Your House

Oh, and for the record, MagMax is actually a lot of fun.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2020, 08:12:12 am by undertakerprime »

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2020, 10:52:09 am »
NES - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and A Nightmare on Elm Street

SNES - Mega Man & Bass

Genesis - 3D Ballz/Ballz 3D (whatever it’s called) and Sonic 3D Blast

PS2 - Spyro: Enter The Dragonfly

GBA - Mega Man & Bass

PS4 - Mighty No. 9

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2020, 10:52:49 am »

Yeah, I think this is another misjudged LJN title.  Like Ft13th it doesn't really explain anything, but once you understand what's going on it's not so bad.

I almost said this as well.  I beat it back in 98 or so, and had fun.  I've got a feeling it has aged like garbage, though.

Maximum Carnage

I thought people generally liked this one?

I heard the difficulty turned people off.  I never thought it was that hard though, I liked those kind of brawlers.  While I had no idea who any of them were, I liked the character icons you could pick up and use.

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2020, 11:55:41 am »
I thought Festers Quest was alright, but I only played the PAL version and from what I understand it has some improvements.

NES
Nightmare on Elm Street, but it seems like public opinion on it is shifting. It's one of the most atmospheric games on the system imo, very spooky game.
Parodius, people don't like it because of all the slowdown; if you can look past it I think it's one of the most fun shmups on the NES.