Author Topic: Steve Smash Bros.  (Read 1887 times)

Steve Smash Bros.
« on: October 05, 2020, 11:45:41 am »
On Saturday Nintendo announced the newest fighter joining Super Smash Bros Ultimate would be Steve the protagonist of Microsoft subsidiary Mojang's Minecraft franchise. What do you guys think of the announcement. Did Nintendo/Sakurai make the right call.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2020, 11:48:31 am by martymcfly »

sworddude

Re: Steve Smash Bros.
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2020, 12:31:34 pm »
it's move set is unique

But as a character probably the worst that has ever been introduced in smash by far imo at least, I get mincraft fans are obviously hyped it's a positive for most people.

I get it's the best selling game of all time, but steve is the only character in wich I could say that he looks like he's photo shopped in at all times

And those pig and creeper mii costumes  :P

raw N64 ps1 character models look better than steve by a longshot all I'm saying. still amazes me how minecraft got that popular with such grapics considering how tons of people in the gaming audience are grapic snobs back than and nowadays.

Also according to sakurai's story with this character in his interview afterwards he made clear that this wasn't his decision. Nintendo is the one who decides who gets in, sakurai just has to make it happen.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2020, 05:21:04 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

pzeke

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2020, 01:37:15 pm »
I don't particularly care about Super Smash Bros., but out of all the characters introduced so far, this one looks out of place the most. Even those Mii costumes...they look horrible. These all look like something straight out of MUGEN.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2020, 05:13:55 pm »
I already got my top pick with Banjo-Kazooie, so nothing else really matters, though I understand why Minecraft is here, it's an utterly massive and popular game for years now, and since Smash Bros is basically THE crossover game celebrating gaming history, it makes sense to have it, even if Steve isn't really a character.  And even then, Nintendo has done that before with fighters like Game & Watch, ROB, Villager, and probably a couple others would be a similar fit.  This will be a hugely popular character for younger folks for sure and in the end, that's all that really matters.

That being said, I do think visually all the Minecraft stuff doesn't look great within Smash Bros.  It's such a clashing art style, which is weird as Nintendo has done kinda pixelated retro stuff before, but the ultra blocky characters look so strange and out of place.  That's my only real complaint with this.  Sometimes there is just not gonna be characters folks like, but still appeal to a bunch of others.

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2020, 09:37:02 pm »
every time I think of Minecraft's graphics I think of a popular 1980's music video by a rock band called "Dire Straits" and the song was called "Money For Nothing"

Dire Straits - Money For Nothing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTP2RUD_cL0

both the song and the hit music video, It's from the 1980's and quite amazing for it's time.

I can see why both smash bros and Minecraft could appeal to some people but I never knew how to play Minecraft, but Super Smash bros melee is ok I guess
« Last Edit: October 07, 2020, 09:52:04 pm by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2020, 01:12:33 am »
Having watched the gameplay video for Steve, it's funny that this character was brought in as an appeal to a younger crowd I think in general, but this might be one of the most complicated characters to play lol The whole mining system makes it so you are kinda regularly enhancing your character, the block system that lets you build all over, the gauge dedicated to your materials that you have to keep track of since it'll affect your moves, definitely won't be one of those characters you just pick up and can play like a lot of others.

It's also clear why with this Microsoft deal that Banjo-Kazooie came first and not Steve, because there's so much going on with the character, it must've been so much more work as every level in the game had to be made to work with Steve's abilities and there's multiple level options.  I have zero interest in playing Steve, this is a bottom of the list characters for me, but it's an impressive amount of work with what they did to make Steve work in the game, it's not something you see other fighting games do to this degree I feel.

mrkonasoni

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2020, 06:06:42 pm »
Just like Sonic, it broke internet.

Pretty much Steve is there because Nintendo has a good relationship with Microsoft and Minecraft is the best selling game from all times, so it is an attractive character for people consider buying the Fighter Pass 2
I always have problems learning English, but I still love to talk a lot, I need no reason to be kind, after everything I have gone through I found a little peace.

sworddude

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2020, 02:46:13 pm »
Having watched the gameplay video for Steve, it's funny that this character was brought in as an appeal to a younger crowd I think in general,

Minecraft is a game from 2009. it's over 10 years old. let alone that it's hay day was the first few years not now thanks to reddit. Minecraft was almost dead if not for that revival.

Allot of people who played it back in the day are between 20 - 30 or older.

I did play it back in the day, Didn't like it so I didn't touch it ever since. allot of people did stick with the series though. Never seen the appeal to it, multiplayer goes a long way i guess.

While it's true that allot of kids play the game, a sizable chunk of the audience is actually older.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2020, 02:54:38 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2020, 03:03:39 pm »
I love that he is so drastically differently looking than everything else in the game.

And you can't really fault them for including a character from the best selling game of all time - that is barely 10 years old - when they've got things like Duck Hunt, Game & Watch and R.O.B.  Heck, the included Belmonts haven't really been the star of any games since the 90s.  And none of these have moved anywhere near the units as Minecraft.