Author Topic: Importing CSV files  (Read 1435 times)

Importing CSV files
« on: October 06, 2020, 12:32:07 am »
Hello,

I have tried several times to use the "import" feature, however the items in my CSV never seem to generate anything. Is there a tutorial or instructions for how to use that feature? I have a huge library that I would like to enter without having to do it manually.

Thank you

fazerco

PRO Supporter

Re: Importing CSV files
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2020, 05:27:43 am »
Never seen this here, so you are using the same named app?

pzeke

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2020, 01:58:58 pm »
The same happened to me back when I joined. After about the fourth or fifth try I ended up adding my stuff manually...and then gave up.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

dagazconcept

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2020, 02:14:23 pm »
Can you share a sample of your CSV lines to help give us idea of the data-sets and formatting that you're using?

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2020, 02:49:55 pm »
iirc the import feature is strictly to import an export from VGC.

dagazconcept

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2020, 04:12:09 pm »
That's my understanding...in essence, acting like a 'loading a backup'  if something were to happen to your collection.

You can try to bulk load from a constructed collection, but it's not easy.

The correct vgc id's need to be mapped to your collection items. If you export an existing vgc collection, you'll be able to  see the associated vgc id for each item. Otherwise, you can look at the trailing number in the url address for the vgc item page your're currently viewing.
From what I understand those are the only ways to get the vgc id's needed to build a csv for importing. 

Due to these details, I've resided to just adding to my collection little-by-little with my barcode scanner. :-\
« Last Edit: October 06, 2020, 04:32:07 pm by dagazconcept »

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2020, 01:16:20 am »
I am just using an XL file that lists the names of the games on tabs that are the systems they go with. Is there maybe a way to maybe export my list then add the new games and import it with all the new changes? I would really hate to have to put all this in manually.

pzeke

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2020, 05:17:16 pm »
Keep adding them manually. Not sure how big your collection is, but use that list you have as a "map", and add 50 or whatever other amount you think a week.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!