Author Topic: Always use a SONY Magic Gate 8mb memory Card For Your PS2, Here's Why  (Read 4780 times)

First off I like to tell you that I got soaked into buying two of them 64mb non SONY memory cards off amazon. for my PlayStation 2. I loved them at first. but quickly found out that that they eventually lose data over time and you can never use them on 2 different PlayStation 2's or they will break.

I'll admit I barly got in 8mbs of storage, before I found out that my older PS2 memory card files no longer loaded even though they were still on the memory card. and no I don't shut off my PlayStation 2 when it is saving to the memory card.

I also heard on other forums that the same thing happen on a 128mb memory card.

So take my advice and never buy a memory card for the PS2 with more then 8mb of storage. Thankfully I got a flea market near by with cheap official PS2 memory cards. but remember this.

don't use those cheap new memory cards off amazon and especially don't buy them off ebay because their likely to not work on your PS2 because these memory cards never save again should you use them on another PS2 console.

If you do want to try one only a brand new only only. and only use them on one of your PlayStation 2 units.

anyways thanks for reading and I'd love to hear your experience in using those often cheaper non SONY PlayStation 2 memory cards
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 06:43:49 pm by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

Flashback2012

Re: Always use a SONY Magic Gate 8mb memory Card For Your PS2, Here's Why
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 06:51:02 pm »
Working in video game retail for several years helped me build up an incredible disdain for the good majority of 3rd party products with a few exceptions. Even ones today that have the official branding like Power-A for Nintendo has me still slightly skeptical about buying them.

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2021, 05:50:28 pm »
here is a thread I'm bumping because I think it's important.

Has anyone else had one of those 24mb 64mb or 128mb PS2 memory cards? if so I would like to know more of your experience with them. My experience back in 2017 is above, maybe they improved since then? anyway the one I had got corrupts before it got full and it was one off amazon.com's website
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

ffxik

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2021, 02:25:41 am »
Those memory cards were very unstable (large capacity 3rd party).  The official 8mb were what I always used.  Since the console is dead as far as retail goes I would assume that the 3rd party products haven't improved.  Unless one of those for the love of, dedicated retro groups makes one.  I would avoid the off brands.

This generally held true for most 3rd party Playstation memory cards.  Though I still have an old Performance 2x capacity that I bought in 97 that still works flawlessly.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2021, 02:28:44 am by ffxik »

telly

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2021, 08:19:29 am »
Yeah, I had a one of those third party 128mb memory cards as well and it started corrupting save files after it got about two thirds full.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2021, 10:56:54 am by telly »
Currently Playing:
DOOM (PS4)

My music collection | My Backloggery