Author Topic: What is this Dreamcast memory card?  (Read 1243 times)

What is this Dreamcast memory card?
« on: February 06, 2021, 10:02:08 pm »
I have a completely unbranded Dreamcast memory card. I searched through the existing entries and couldn't find anything that seemed to match, so I created an entry that can be seen below.

There are no markings on the outside of the case. Onthe PCB, the text DC-01A and VER A is visible. Additionally, the number 289 is printed next to a symbol that resembles the letter S, though this may be a serial number.

Unbranded memory card - https://vgcollect.com/item/194806
PCB - https://i.imgur.com/aJuHYrV.jpg

BinaryMessiah

Re: What is this Dreamcast memory card?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2021, 10:18:54 pm »
Strange. One of many unbranded generic Chinese knock-offs that were sold in-game stores. I remember these for PS1 and PS2 back in the day. When your parents couldn't afford an official memory card these were widely available. I doubt you'll ever find the brand. It was probably some cheap generic blister pack with no name on it. Probably super plain with just "Dreamcast Memory Unit" for less than $10 at the time. I thought I had a generic PS1 mega memory card, but eventually found info on it.

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2021, 01:31:00 am »
I have a completely unbranded Dreamcast memory card. I searched through the existing entries and couldn't find anything that seemed to match, so I created an entry that can be seen below.

There are no markings on the outside of the case. Onthe PCB, the text DC-01A and VER A is visible. Additionally, the number 289 is printed next to a symbol that resembles the letter S, though this may be a serial number.

Strange. One of many unbranded generic Chinese knock-offs that were sold in-game stores. I remember these for PS1 and PS2 back in the day. When your parents couldn't afford an official memory card these were widely available. I doubt you'll ever find the brand. It was probably some cheap generic blister pack with no name on it. Probably super plain with just "Dreamcast Memory Unit" for less than $10 at the time. I thought I had a generic PS1 mega memory card, but eventually found info on it.

I've seen stuff like this before, for other consoles, usually just like @ivorysoul mentioned it could be a generic Asian made piece of hardware. for the SEGA Dreamcast console. as far as I know every single retro, or old console has things like this. With no brand no name other then a number, probably done like this one, to avoid copyright infringement with SEGA or another accessory company it's done to hide the identity of the manufacture I guess. But I don't really know much about the SEGA Dreamcast, though but I've seen N64 memory cards without writing or anything on them, and that one I am talking about worked, but it was not branded like this one.
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

tripredacus

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2021, 10:46:59 am »
The item title is invalid. The word "unbranded" cannot be present. An appropriate name would be

memory card DC01-A

until more information can be found.

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2021, 01:37:20 pm »
The item title is invalid. The word "unbranded" cannot be present. An appropriate name would be

memory card DC01-A

until more information can be found.

Thank you for letting me know that. Part of the reason I posted this is that I figured that I would be informed if part of the submission was erroneous. I did look through the style guides and I didn't notice anything regarding these generic products, but I may have missed them. Is there any section that I should study to avoid further invalid entries? I do have some other unbranded/clone products that I was planning to add, and I would like to make sure that I submit them in compliance with the standards of the database.

tripredacus

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2021, 10:08:50 am »
For hardware the Guide says to put manufacturer in the name. If a manufacturer is not known, you then cannot put one. Unbranded is not a manufacturer, so it should not be present. You can put what is known:

memory card (in lower case because we do not know what it is called, but we do know what it is)
At the very least.

But I am thinking that if this DC01-A is only visible on the PCB, and no other numbers are visible without taking the item apart, then the title should be something like this:

memory card (DC01-A PCB)
or
memory card (white / DC01-A PCB)