Author Topic: Finding random PAL games in NTSC territory  (Read 1109 times)

Warmsignal

Finding random PAL games in NTSC territory
« on: November 02, 2020, 01:10:23 pm »
I'm my days of game hunting, there have been a few instances where I'd come across PAL region games in the United States. I always kinda wondered how they ended up here? Nowadays, it's common to see PAL games being sold online across region since most modern systems are region unlocked. But back in the day, most weren't. Also, importing games was a lot more obscure. There was no Internet.

I've often wondered how and why I've come across some retro PAL region games while out hunting in the wild. In all instances, they were always games that also came out as NTSC, and never any PAL exclusive ones. So I wonder how and why they ended up here. Were they allocated to NTSC region by the publisher on purpose? Or did someone actually go to the trouble to import a game they could have bought at their local store? I actually have a couple PAL "Mega Drive" games in my collection. I've also came across some GameBoy games with the PAL markings.

I dunno. I mean, sure import a game if we didn't get it here, I understand that. Otherwise, it's a bit curious.

fazerco

PRO Supporter

Re: Finding random PAL games in NTSC territory
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2020, 01:30:01 pm »
Easy, Military. There where enough American soldiers in Europe the last 60 years or so.

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2020, 05:21:43 pm »
I saw a PAL copy of the PS4 version of Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition at a GameStop one time. Pretty weird.

Warmsignal

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2020, 05:30:19 pm »
I saw a PAL copy of the PS4 version of Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition at a GameStop one time. Pretty weird.

Nowadays you can buy from third party sellers online who will ship PAL versions. It's uncommon to see, but that's how it happens with modern games.

pzeke

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2020, 05:03:42 am »
Someone went on a trip to Japan, just to name an example, and bought some games there, then got bored/tired of them and offloaded them somewhere that would take them. I know I once was at a GameStop that had a few used PAL PS3 games. None really worth my time, but they were there.

Places like Amazon and Walmart will on occasion ship a movie and/or a game that's from another region...either by mistake or purposely.

Easy, Military.

This is also a good one.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

tripredacus

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2020, 10:02:41 am »
I've only found import games at thrift stores. The French games make some amount of sense, being close to Canada. Usually when I run across PAL items, there is some theme to the content of the store, as you know things get donated in batches.

When I found a bunch of UK computer games at one store, there was also PAL DVDs and a UK Satellite DVR. Another time I found PL computer games, there was a bunch of Polish language books and music present.