Author Topic: Rayman - A solid great game with a single flaw. [Opinion]  (Read 1053 times)

mrkonasoni

Rayman - A solid great game with a single flaw. [Opinion]
« on: November 13, 2020, 02:21:50 am »
|Start》|

I recently played the first Rayman game because I felt it was a good moment since the franchise turned 20 years old recently.

Anyway Rayman is a 2D platforming game with soft exploration, skills per world and a lot of cages that you must find and destroy if you want to get the final boss.

Most of the time reading opinions about the game it seem that the noisy opinion of Rayman is mostly positive but that the game is so difficult or unfair, can I agree? Kinda.

If I am sincere I do agree Rayman likes to put way too many obstacles and hard challenges to the player that require some memorization and trial and error until getting right and it get worse when the game just offer 5 credits and 3 lives for beat the more of 20 levels and get all cages that are also pretty hidden and most of the time won't be visible if the player don't touch first a certain point of the stage.

I could be more strict with Rayman if it wasn't because... well, I am absolutely amazed by the game and I truly love it, first of all the graphics are just gorgeous, it's is breath-taking how Rayman still looks great and better than games that were released just the last week, second the music is also precious and make a great job feeling like a proper and dream-catching experience, the amount of charming that the game has is just breath-taking.

Also I must admit that while the game is pretty hard indeed, I can't stop thinking that it indeed is a solid game with a well thought level design most of the time, I certainly think the game make a good job teaching the player about explore the whole stage searching the cages and touching almost everything for make appear something new.

I think what save the game of feeling extremely unfair is that at least the developers put a useful cheat code that offers the player 99 lives the first time beating the levels and that Ubisoft has re-released the game a few times making it easier.

Overall I would like that Ubisoft would released the game again but removing the limited credits and lives and just make it infinite lives like Rayman Origins or Legends, because I must admit that beside that detail, Rayman is a well-designed, solid and a truly classic.

You are welcome to disagree with me.
I always have problems learning English, but I still love to talk a lot, I need no reason to be kind, after everything I have gone through I found a little peace.

Re: Rayman - A solid great game with a single flaw. [Opinion]
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2020, 03:40:43 am »
I agree, but when I played Rayman 1 on the PlayStation Mini/classic I remember dying a whole lot, but I never got game over for some reason. I am not sure but I think the PS1 classic version of NA Rayman has unlimited continues, since I spent more time getting killed then winning at that game. I need to revisit it. The game is difficult. But It can be fun, but like you said even the version I have has plenty of challenge,  since just about everything can kill you
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2020, 08:53:10 am »
Yeah Rayman is a great platformer.

Hopefully Ubisoft has something planned for the limbless lad, although considering his 20th anniversary came and went without so much as a peep (whereas a certain plumber got a whole direct centered around his 35th anniversary packed with games) I doubt it. That said it does seem very possible that Rayman could be added as one of the final 4 Smash DLC characters (fingers-crossed)

astralsoul

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2020, 03:17:56 am »
I just played this for the first time this week. It's definitely fun, great platformer, but I realized very quickly how hard it was. Btw Rayman turned 25 years old this year, not 20. :)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2020, 05:55:36 pm »
Yeah, it's hard as hell, but gorgeous.

If you want a little more manageable difficulty but the same sort of gameplay and visuals might I recommend Rayman Origins and Rayman Legends. Excellent 2D platformers with a stellar soundtrack, and just enough difficulty to keep you coming back. Origins is my favorite game in the entire series. I'd put it up against a Mario game, even, and it would hold it's own as a great 2D platformer.