Author Topic: Any issue with running monitor at 120hz and the secondary below that?  (Read 828 times)

I relatively recently got a monitor that can get up pretty high with its refresh rate, though I'm running it at 120hz which is what my card can handle, but I've been using a secondary monitor at a lower refresh rate and connected through DVI since then with no real notable problems that I've seen.  I just picked up a cheap little LCD TV to replace it because I wanted my secondary to be able to hook up to my consoles through HDMI and I got lucky with this cheap tv at a thrift shop.  I'm sure it's running at like 60hz, or whatever the average is for an older tv.  Is this likely to cause any real issues with the system?  It's more just a general question I'm asking as I've kinda been running a TV/Monitor setup for a long time now before this (TV for main, older monitor for second), and since switching to this new setup, I was curious if this has any potential for problems I should keep in mind.

Re: Any issue with running monitor at 120hz and the secondary below that?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2020, 07:22:59 pm »
Nope. Been doing it for years without issue. The only real problem I had at first was configuring my drives to force 144hz. Windows for whatever reason would only do 60 but thanks to nvidia drivers you can basically make custom profiles for various resolutions, bit depths and refresh rates.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 07:25:45 pm by badATchaos »

Re: Any issue with running monitor at 120hz and the secondary below that?
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2020, 08:17:52 pm »
Nope. Been doing it for years without issue. The only real problem I had at first was configuring my drives to force 144hz. Windows for whatever reason would only do 60 but thanks to nvidia drivers you can basically make custom profiles for various resolutions, bit depths and refresh rates.

Yeah my monitor says it can do up to 185hz, but didn't work till I changed it in the nvidia panel, but through the nvidia panel, it only allows up to 120hz, which is a huge leap from the 60hz I've been doing lol Might be a graphics card thing, but honestly I'm pretty happy at 120.  Good to know about the monitor/tv difference not being an issue, figured I'd double check just in case as my computer knowledge is pretty limited when it comes to monitors and such.