Author Topic: Any suggestions to make the wires in your gaming setup less cluttery?  (Read 1264 times)

To be clear I mean the wires in the back of your setup like power cables, HDMI cables and what not. I've disconnected what I have at the moment in anticipation for my Xbox Series X to arrive and I figured let me do some clean up and make some adjustments to the setup. That said, I've never been great at cable management and was wondering if anyone could share what they use or if they use anything to make their cables more clean for lack of a better term

Re: Any suggestions to make the wires in your gaming setup less cluttery?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2020, 09:01:32 pm »
You could try and bundle all your spare cords, or the ones you don't use vary often. You could try using rubber bands to hold the wire together, but that is always a pain to undo them for usage. You could also try putting the cord bundles in plastic grocery bags and put them away, but like me I forget I have them when I do that.
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2020, 09:17:30 pm »
I usually wire tie or zip tie all my wires together so it looks a litte more organized.

retromangia

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2020, 10:20:03 pm »
Velcro tie those bad boys together!  Rubber bands as a last resort, as their more work.  I find zip ties cause marking on the cords if done too tightly, plus there a bitch to remove.  Velcro is smooth like butta  ;)

tripredacus

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2020, 09:55:25 am »
The ultimate method: Using an Agile Modulator to broadcast the video signal to your televisions.  8)

Note: use of an Agile Modulator in an urban area may be illegal.

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2020, 02:53:47 pm »
You could try and bundle all your spare cords, or the ones you don't use vary often. You could try using rubber bands to hold the wire together, but that is always a pain to undo them for usage. You could also try putting the cord bundles in plastic grocery bags and put them away, but like me I forget I have them when I do that.

Same. The amount of cords I have for who knows what is ridiculous. I could run a store solely on spare parts of stuff because of how much I have

I usually wire tie or zip tie all my wires together so it looks a litte more organized.

I did have zip ties at one point but didn't really like em plus it gets tricky cutting them when you tie them up really well

Velcro tie those bad boys together!  Rubber bands as a last resort, as their more work.  I find zip ties cause marking on the cords if done too tightly, plus there a bitch to remove.  Velcro is smooth like butta  ;)

I havent tried velcro ties. I shall try this. They seem easy enough where its doesnt become a pain

The ultimate method: Using an Agile Modulator to broadcast the video signal to your televisions.  8)

I feel like this a reference to something. That or your own wording makes it seem like so.

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2020, 05:22:57 pm »
I use wire ties or Velcro ties. Frequently I just scavenge them off new stuff I buy. I use this in combo with an HDMI switcher so I don't need to frequently change out cords. I also reserve my least played consoles to only being out and plugged in when I want to play them. I put them in dedicated drawers in my tv stand with all their bobbins when I'm done.

megasilverx1

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2020, 08:33:27 pm »
A roll of Velcro works great. I ended up finding some down the electrical aisle at a nearby hardware store. Twistie ties would probably also work.

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2020, 09:17:27 pm »
I don't recommend having multiple consoles plugged in at once, I had a switcher once for AV cords, while it was nice but I outgrew it and no longer use them. I just plug in one console at a time now.

Keep in mind when it comes to leaving AC adapters plugged into outlets when not in usage. Nintendo warns that you should never leave an AC Adapter plugged in when you are not using it. I read this somewhere about the safety of the NES and the SNES mini. besides leaving your consoles plugged into the power can make them more dusty faster, since when their plugged in to the electric outlet becomes more of a dust magnet, anybody remember dusting off those old CRT television screens of the 1990's and 1980's?

I keep An Xbox 360 inside a cabinet unplugged. And I the last time I had a tech look at it he said it did not have any dust buildup inside, the tech said my Xbox360 was clean
« Last Edit: December 08, 2020, 09:28:21 pm by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2020, 10:21:24 pm »
I don't recommend having multiple consoles plugged in at once, I had a switcher once for AV cords, while it was nice but I outgrew it and no longer use them. I just plug in one console at a time now.

Keep in mind when it comes to leaving AC adapters plugged into outlets when not in usage. Nintendo warns that you should never leave an AC Adapter plugged in when you are not using it. I read this somewhere about the safety of the NES and the SNES mini. besides leaving your consoles plugged into the power can make them more dusty faster, since when their plugged in to the electric outlet becomes more of a dust magnet, anybody remember dusting off those old CRT television screens of the 1990's and 1980's?

I keep An Xbox 360 inside a cabinet unplugged. And I the last time I had a tech look at it he said it did not have any dust buildup inside, the tech said my Xbox360 was clean

My consoles have been plugged in for years without issue. It helps that I use 2 surge protectors to connect them and nothing no issue on my end. I feel like I need the convenience of having everything ready to go and I can start playing without plugging in or out anything so its why I also use hdmi switch boxes. I used to have a component switch for my retro consoles using retrotink but not sure if I will bring that back atm

tripredacus

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2020, 10:03:04 am »
First, I do not leave any console with access to power if I am not using it. All of my sets besides the movie watching sets are on power strips or bars that I turn off when not in use. Beyond that, the only console that I know is not safe to leave with power access is the US Saturn, because of the known design flaw that causes it to drain the battery.

I feel like this a reference to something. That or your own wording makes it seem like so.

Not really. Just the fact that RF connections do not actually need wires to transfer sound and video.

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2020, 10:27:24 am »
First, I do not leave any console with access to power if I am not using it. All of my sets besides the movie watching sets are on power strips or bars that I turn off when not in use. Beyond that, the only console that I know is not safe to leave with power access is the US Saturn, because of the known design flaw that causes it to drain the battery.

Not really. Just the fact that RF connections do not actually need wires to transfer sound and video.

That explains why I would constantly have to adjust the time on my Saturn when it was hooked up. Did not know that

zappman

PRO Supporter

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2020, 11:14:41 am »
Thanks for the info/tip, I did not know that the US Saturn has a known design flaw that causes it to drain the battery.

It figures, the only retro console that I had plugged-in with power access was my US Sega Saturn.  So, I just unplugged its power cord.

Sorry, I did not mean to hi-jack this thread.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2020, 02:51:39 pm by zappman »

tripredacus

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2020, 12:03:03 pm »
It is likely an issue with a non-US Saturn also, or perhaps just model 1 but not model 2 IDK. I only have a model 1 Saturn and by the time I got my Japanese Saturn, I wasn't leaving the power strip on when not in use.

pzeke

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2020, 02:35:33 pm »
I've used zip ties, as well as twist ties, including the rubber kind, wire ties that I've salvaged from figures or other stuff that includes them, and Velcro straps. I have also used boot shoelaces at one point in time.

Any of those should do the trick.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!