Author Topic: Xbox Series S  (Read 1347 times)

wartoy

PRO Supporter

Xbox Series S
« on: November 30, 2020, 09:22:37 pm »
I wondered if anybody else got a Xbox Series S and what were their thoughs on the system. I know that new releases are almost non existent right now except for Gears Tactics or the new Call of Duty.They're good games but im really impressed how well my older games look and run on this system. Game load times are almost instant and visually thay are much improved imo. I know everybody will say the ps5 is better but im not trying to debate which one is better just pointing out how impressed I am with the Xbox.Im also impressed with the Ps5 too especially the controller but that's for another post and another time.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2020, 09:32:32 pm by wartoy »

Re: Xbox Series S
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2020, 11:55:29 pm »
I've been playing my xsx exclusively over ps5.  Convinced myself to play fallout 76.  Played fallout 4 and new vegas as well.  Only improvement over x1x ive noticed is load times.

Load times are pretty quick on x1x for new vegas, but f76 night and day difference between load times on x1x and xsx

Played wreckfest today and i recall load times being brutal on x1x, but on xsx they are single digit seconds to load and start races.

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2020, 12:45:57 am »
I feel once supply becomes more normalized, the Series S is going to be quite a popular choice, especially with the emphasis of Microsoft's Game Pass and how much cheaper it is compared to the other systems.

Me, I'm going to get a Series X when I can find one. I still like having a physical collection, and while I don't have a UHD TV, this might put me over the edge there. And with the backwards compatibility, it'd be basically a straight upgrade to my Xbox One. The Series X can play 99% of what the One can, giving me practically no reason to keep that console plugged in.

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2020, 07:51:25 am »
the PS5 is better

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2020, 07:55:14 am »
I won't be getting one as I already have a PC, so there isn't a big point in doing so, but the game value the system has with game pass is pretty crazy.  I went PS5, just because it had the better exclusives and support for the PS4 games I'm likely to play again, but I can see a good reason to get the XSX if someone was just wanting a bunch of games that they could play.

mrkonasoni

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2020, 12:08:03 am »
Right now not buying anything next gen until the errors and other imperfections with the systems will be fixed with future baches.

Anyway.
With Dev mode it was shown recently that the console can run retroarch and pretty much a lot of emulators and such included some like N64, PS2 or Saturn.

So I am open to buy a Series S just for have a legal moded machine.

But maybe it should be better idea wait up if Sony nor Nintendo cease and desist this or if the emulators improve at all.

They shouldn't though, emulators are not illegal the last time I checked up.
I always have problems learning English, but I still love to talk a lot, I need no reason to be kind, after everything I have gone through I found a little peace.

shatterstar69

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2020, 06:50:18 am »
Right now not buying anything next gen until the errors and other imperfections with the systems will be fixed with future baches.

Anyway.
With Dev mode it was shown recently that the console can run retroarch and pretty much a lot of emulators and such included some like N64, PS2 or Saturn.

But maybe it should be better idea wait up if Sony nor Nintendo cease and desist this or if the emulators improve at all.

The Xbox Series S does not have a disc drive so how do you play older games?  Are they in some kind of database you get with RetroArch?  Sorry, I am just not that
familiar with how the software works
Time to make the donuts!

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2020, 10:26:01 pm »
I got an X. I’m liking it so far, but still don’t have an HDR set...maybe next year. The resume feature that jumps back right where you left off is pretty nice. The load times are very fast as well.
I didn’t look too much into the details before the purchase. You can plug your existing external HD in from XB1 and it’s ready to go, but you can’t take full advantage of the series X/S upgrade unless you use the SSD. From what I’ve heard, the X has a little more power over the S. I got the X for the disc drive though.

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2020, 02:31:49 pm »

Anyway.

The Xbox Series S does not have a disc drive so how do you play older games?  Are they in some kind of database you get with RetroArch?  Sorry, I am just not that
familiar with how the software works

It would obviously only be able to play digital copies. it would play anything in the BC catalogue you already own digitally, and you can buy BC games in the online store. There are also plenty of BC games on gamepass if that's your thing. If you want to play BC games physically you have to get the version with the disc drive.