Author Topic: How far have you traveled to acquire something?  (Read 1883 times)

Flashback2012

Re: How far have you traveled to acquire something?
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2020, 01:54:22 pm »
Not counting Too Many Games, which was like an 8 hour drive. I've gone across state lines just checking store inventories before. Hell, I've spent an entire day driving around to every known Family Dollar location within a couple of hours away, just to check their random buyout inventories when I first found out about those. I've drove across state lines to check GameStop stores. I've drove all across the state, and some of a neighboring state just to check pawn shops, various game stores I don't have near to me, flea markets. I used to routinely drive about 3 hours to an out of state flea market on the weekends. So yeah, I've done stuff like that a lot.

Any time I go out of town there's lots of food and shopping which is not commonplace to me, living in a fairly small town. So the trips are usually worth it, just to stop by a sandwhich shop, and check out stores like Best Buy which I've never had in my home town.

The part about crossing state lines was a little weird to me at first but I forget I live in the corner of a state where the metro area extends into neighboring states. I have co-workers who live in both Kentucky and Indiana so it's perfectly normal to me. For that trip to Lexington on Sunday, the highway back had me going from KY to IN to OH. I imagine for someone who lives in Columbus it's a bit of a trek in any direction to get to the state's borders.  :P

Also, a slight tangent on this but when traveling to new cities, it's a MUST for us to try and find local places/chains to eat at that we don't have here.  ;)

I travelled the world and the seven seas for my copy of PaRappa The Rapper 2.

Sounds legit. You strike me as a man about the world and who wouldn't move heaven and earth for Parappa The Rapper 2?

Warmsignal

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2020, 02:05:42 pm »
Not counting Too Many Games, which was like an 8 hour drive. I've gone across state lines just checking store inventories before. Hell, I've spent an entire day driving around to every known Family Dollar location within a couple of hours away, just to check their random buyout inventories when I first found out about those. I've drove across state lines to check GameStop stores. I've drove all across the state, and some of a neighboring state just to check pawn shops, various game stores I don't have near to me, flea markets. I used to routinely drive about 3 hours to an out of state flea market on the weekends. So yeah, I've done stuff like that a lot.

Any time I go out of town there's lots of food and shopping which is not commonplace to me, living in a fairly small town. So the trips are usually worth it, just to stop by a sandwhich shop, and check out stores like Best Buy which I've never had in my home town.

The part about crossing state lines was a little weird to me at first but I forget I live in the corner of a state where the metro area extends into neighboring states. I have co-workers who live in both Kentucky and Indiana so it's perfectly normal to me. For that trip to Lexington on Sunday, the highway back had me going from KY to IN to OH. I imagine for someone who lives in Columbus it's a bit of a trek in any direction to get to the state's borders.  :P

Also, a slight tangent on this but when traveling to new cities, it's a MUST for us to try and find local places/chains to eat at that we don't have here.  ;)

Realistically, I've probably put about 100,000 miles between my previous 2 cars just in game hunting alone. I don't travel much aside from doing stuff like that, just a small town commute, and I ran up the odometer something fierce on both of them. lol

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2020, 02:06:54 pm »
No, I have everything close to me. it's weird how there is many places to go just in my own town. and I live in suburbs. near one major known city Detroit Michigan
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2020, 11:00:30 am »
I've definitely picked up video games while visiting different countries. Back before the Wii Mini was released in the States, I bought one in Prince Edward Island of all places while on holiday there. At the time it had been out in Canada for a while and there was no sign it was going to ever come out in the US.

« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2020, 11:21:09 am »
Didn't go there to acquire anything specific, but drove about 4-hours round trip to go to a few game stores I'd never been to in a town north of me. Their prices kinda sucked, but did find some nice PS2 and Saturn imports that made the trip worth it.

leonefamily

PRO Supporter

« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2020, 01:41:59 pm »
That time I traveled 300 kms on my motorbike though the canadian subarctic (Köppen Dfc climate) to reach the next major city where I bought a LA Noire strategy guide. It was so cold outside I was really eager to get back home. I was 19 at the time and I'm definetely not doing this again without prep lol
Freeze iou imperialist pig! Zat is ze propertay of ze Gouvernement Français. Hand eet over!

pzeke

« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2020, 02:31:58 pm »
How far have you traveled to acquire something?

I have never done any of this, and I reckon I never would...at least not for a video game or some such.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

Flashback2012

« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2020, 04:51:47 pm »
How far have you traveled to acquire something?

I have never done any of this, and I reckon I never would...at least not for a video game or some such.

I would have MUCH preferred to not have to travel 1 1/2 hours out of my way to get this item but shipping was a no-go and all of the local stores were sold out. Additionally, I've had trouble at times acquiring certain movie releases so either my metro area is notorious for flippers/scalpers or the stores in my area are hilariously bad at ordering the correct amounts.

I can understand how the concept of running down a game/movie/item can be so foreign to someone that it's a literal bridge too far to commit to doing, especially in the age of Amazon where almost everything can be delivered to your doorstop.  ;)