Author Topic: Play A Game As Hero Or Villain? Or Both? Character Preference  (Read 1033 times)

Play A Game As Hero Or Villain? Or Both? Character Preference
« on: December 30, 2020, 06:16:47 pm »
When it comes to some games that actually let you pick to be a good or evil which do you prefer? when it comes to those kinds of games? Or?

games like "Ture Crime Streets Of LA" you can be a good cop or a bad cop. Or maybe games similar to that like the "Gran Theft Auto Series" where you play as only as a Villain/Outlaw.
When it comes to all games in general for myself, I prefer to be a hero stopping bad guys rather then a Villain causing death and destruction. But sometimes I could imagine it could be more fun as a Villain in less serious unrealistic games.

It's just a video game after all, it's not real so how do you feel on this subject?

but games that have both side of a story like Star Craft I like to play as Hero and Villain for the entire story
« Last Edit: December 30, 2020, 06:23:15 pm by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

Re: Play A Game As Hero Or Villain? Or Both? Character Preference
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2020, 06:27:50 pm »
In games like Fallout, I usually try to play as the good guy, though there's some wiggle room in that depending on some decisions that can be made.  Even if it is all fictional, I never like playing the asshole, it's just so out of character for me that it doesn't bring me a lot of enjoyment.  That is sorta sidestepped in other games like Grand Theft Auto where you play as criminals and there's no real negative repercussions to being one and is a big part of the game, but generally like Skyrim, Fallout, Mass Effect, I'm trying to play as the good guys.

undertakerprime

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2020, 07:53:50 pm »
In games where I have the ability to choose my own path, I like to play as “myself”; that is, I make decisions based on how I would react in real life. So that means mostly heroic or at least neutral responses and actions, but occasionally bad/evil based on the situation (like if an NPC is being a giant douche). Playing this way makes the decisions more personal for me, instead of choosing all good or all evil just to make my character that way.

The Mass Effect series is probably the best example of playing this way for me. My Commander Shepard fell in love with Tali, just like I would have if I had been in his place. Eventually all his decisions became based on what was best for her, including the final decision. He decided to go with destroying all mechanical life, because he couldn’t bear risking Tali be changed in any way (I had avoided spoilers, so I had no idea the fusion choice was the “best” one). It was a very emotional experience by making decisions that way.

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2020, 09:25:58 pm »
Most games that have a morality scale I typically just act the way I would and make the decision I would in a given situation. Probably the most fun I had with doing this was while playing Mass Effect, mostly due to the moral ambiguity of a lot of the bigger decisions in the game.

The only times I can remember leaning in a certain direction intentionally was with the KOTOR games. I've played the first KOTOR both as a dark side and light side force user, but have only played KOTOR 2 as a good guy.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2020, 10:37:55 pm »
I usually go the hero route because that's usually the intended story or at least the one with the best outcome.

Then if I like the game enough I'll go back and be brutal as hell.

jipsy

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2020, 09:44:00 am »
My first playthrough of most games I play however I please, making decisions basically at random. My second playthrough I usually try to be as evil as possible to see if I get a different ending.
Jipsy

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2020, 01:18:34 pm »
I play as a good guy mostly. It’s a refreshing change from my normal life as a homicidal dictator!
Beaten: 210   Backlog: 7

pzeke

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2020, 09:06:30 pm »
This is pretty much just like choosing difficulty for me, meaning once I finish the game I'll start anew and mess around with it. I like games that allow you to fiddle with the character's moral compass—to this day I've yet to finish a GTA game because I always end up going around on a virtual killing spree.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

astralsoul

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2021, 11:19:14 am »
In movies, books, games, etc, the villains usually interest me more. But to actually play as a villain I find it boring. So usually I prefer playing the good guy.