Author Topic: Can You Recommend A Vietnam War Based FPS Game?  (Read 1491 times)

Can You Recommend A Vietnam War Based FPS Game?
« on: January 08, 2021, 10:15:46 pm »
The best one I ever played was Vietcong Purple Haze on the PC way back in the mid 2000's and it's expansion pack called "Fist Alpha" I lost both games due to a corrupted  disc
one day I could no longer install either game on any future PC.

1: Vietcong Purple Haze
2: Vietcong Fist Alpha

There is the PS2 version of Purple Haze which is OK but not as good as the PC versions in my opinion. This game is probably the best  Vietnam war game ever created, on the PC version there is a personal bunk menu walk around section with character diary. That you can read. Also there is early rock music from the 1960's on a radio with a real radio DJ talking. part of the brutality of the real war is described in this game including the booby traps and all the jungle warfare everything that the real Vietnam soldiers went through in real life is in this game. all the weapons can be unlocked by completing the missions a lengthy single player Campaign to follow.

If you are looking for a great shooter (edit) the current Steam version is not the same game according to current Steam reviews multiple people say do not buy the Steam version
« Last Edit: January 08, 2021, 10:26:23 pm by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

Re: Can You Recommend A Vietnam War Based FPS Game?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2021, 10:54:40 pm »
Only ones I can think of would be Battlefield: Vietnam, which is an early 2000's game, so probably doesn't have many servers available for it anymore or if you can even buy it still.  Battlefield: Bad Company 2 had a full Vietnam expansion pack and since Bad Company 2 is still actively played, that might be an option.  Probably the best overall would be Rising Storm 2: Vietnam, it's a more hardcore/realistic shooter compared to Battlefield, but it's similar in scale, having some vehicle action, but servers have like 40+ players on them and is actively played.  I put a bit of time into it.  Bad Company 2 is the only one on console, but I can't imagine there are a lot of folks playing it on there still compared to PC.

dreama1

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2021, 07:03:48 am »
Men of valor is pretty good.  There's suppose to be shellshock as well but it's pretty bad apparently.

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2021, 08:37:44 am »
Men of valor is pretty good.  There's suppose to be shellshock as well but it's pretty bad apparently.

I'm going to try playing Men of Valor, once i get it, thank you for the recommendation. I have the game Shellshock Nam but ever since I heard how bad it was, I have not play that one yet.

Only ones I can think of would be Battlefield: Vietnam, which is an early 2000's game, so probably doesn't have many servers available for it anymore or if you can even buy it still.  Battlefield: Bad Company 2 had a full Vietnam expansion pack and since Bad Company 2 is still actively played, that might be an option.  Probably the best overall would be Rising Storm 2: Vietnam, it's a more hardcore/realistic shooter compared to Battlefield, but it's similar in scale, having some vehicle action, but servers have like 40+ players on them and is actively played.  I put a bit of time into it.  Bad Company 2 is the only one on console, but I can't imagine there are a lot of folks playing it on there still compared to PC.

Thank you too, for all those recommendations :) I perfer single player since I just like to play by myself, I think that stuff like the Call Of Duty online games can be a little harsh I burned myself out playing deathmatch Doom and other Zandronum app games for the PC. Capture the flag is fun but it's vary hard to be accepted into a game like that

NO APPS NEEDED

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2021, 12:30:18 pm »
We played this game back in the day on PC called Joint Operation. I don't think took place during the Vietnam War, but you fought against and/or as DPRK (so I guess North Korean). Servers might still be around.

The conflict series isn't FPS (over the shoulder) but there was a Conflict: Vietnam for the OG Xbox. I didn't like it as much as the Desert Storm one, but it was still pretty good. The Conflict games are squad based-tactics, so there's shooting, but you have to swap between characters and give commands and stuff. It's a pretty good time.

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2021, 05:25:21 pm »
We played this game back in the day on PC called Joint Operation. I don't think took place during the Vietnam War, but you fought against and/or as DPRK (so I guess North Korean). Servers might still be around.

The conflict series isn't FPS (over the shoulder) but there was a Conflict: Vietnam for the OG Xbox. I didn't like it as much as the Desert Storm one, but it was still pretty good. The Conflict games are squad based-tactics, so there's shooting, but you have to swap between characters and give commands and stuff. It's a pretty good time.

That's interesting, because there don't seem to be too many Korean War games out there. For those of you unfamiliar with US American history. The Korean War took place with the United States against North Korea (after world war II) in around the year 1955. About 8 or 9 years before the US and Vietnam conflict, in Vietnam.

Call Of Duty Black Ops (the first of the series) has some missions based in Vietnam but not enough in my opinion to consider it a Vietnam war game.
(edit)

"Delta Force: Black Hawk Down" for the PS2 and PC is also a good FPS game as well. that is a great game based on the 1st American Desert Storm conflict
« Last Edit: January 10, 2021, 05:49:31 pm by oldgamerz »

NO APPS NEEDED

theflea

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2021, 06:46:23 am »
Farcry 5 had a Vietnam War expansion pack that was pretty good. Kinda short but I enjoyed it.
"Happy game hunting!!!"

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2021, 07:47:10 am »
Farcry 5 had a Vietnam War expansion pack that was pretty good. Kinda short but I enjoyed it.

cool never played a far cry game yet thanks  :)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2021, 07:49:20 am by oldgamerz »

NO APPS NEEDED

tripredacus

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2021, 09:50:21 am »
Battlefield: Bad Company 2 had a full Vietnam expansion pack and since Bad Company 2 is still actively played, that might be an option.

That expansion is MP modes only. And last I tried to use it, it could not connect to any servers.
EDIT: Using steam version.

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2021, 07:07:04 pm »
it's a shame the the PC version of "VietCong: Purple Haze" and the "Fist Alpha" Expansion disc is currently so hard to find, Amazon only has one used copy of both and I don't even know if it is the same game.

back when this game was newer in the mid 2000's My mom bought me all 3 versions of the game. One version of this game was called Viet Cong without the Purple Haze extension as well.

the original "Viet Cong" version of this game had  a TON of bugs and glitches, unfortunately I think Steam is using the old version of that game. because according to what I read a long time ago, Viet Cong Purple Haze for the PC was actually,  a re-release of the same game, with some major bug fixes left in the original version of that game on PC.

Don't buy this version

that game is an unfinished project. and the Fist Alpha expansion pack corrupts this game if you install then together. Windows XP had a strange glitch that corrupts any disc left in the CD-ROM drive for a long period of time, I took good care of all three VietCong games and they had almost no scratches that I can remember. I lost just about ever single PC game that I had in my HP PC's disc drive for any period of time. I noticed on windows XP the CD-ROM constantly spin for some reason.

NO APPS NEEDED

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2021, 06:57:14 pm »

I'm going to try playing Men of Valor, once i get it, thank you for the recommendation. I have the game Shellshock Nam but ever since I heard how bad it was, I have not play that one yet.

Thank you too, for all those recommendations :) I perfer single player since I just like to play by myself, I think that stuff like the Call Of Duty online games can be a little harsh I burned myself out playing deathmatch Doom and other Zandronum app games for the PC. Capture the flag is fun but it's vary hard to be accepted into a game like that

FOLLOW UP TO THIS QUOTE

Well I got a copy of Men Of Valor for the Xbox original, and I played a tiny bit into what I believe is the first mission in the single player campaign, so far I really like this game, and it this game is vary similar to the game I recommended earlier Viet Cong Purple Haze for the PC. Men Of Valor is vary vary similar but also different then Viet Cong Purple Haze, the difference between then I've noticed is Men Of Valor seems harder in difficulty but not much more difficulty I just need to play Men Of Valor more to get used to the surroundings. so far I think I am going to enjoy my first playthrough of Men Of Valor the game advertised a lenghty single player campaign so this game look like it going to be fun :)

NO APPS NEEDED