Author Topic: GameCube games worth getting for cheap  (Read 3425 times)

sworddude

Re: GameCube games worth getting for cheap
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2021, 08:35:00 am »
Geez. I just checked how much the GameCube games I own would cost nowadays. I picked up Baten Kaitos Origins at a random game store not too long ago for 12 bucks and now it's...not that.

that's a pretty lucky find in this era since that game was pricy even when gamecube deals where easy to find many years ago.

stores mispricing stuff happens especially with more uncommon titles such as these.
Your Stylish Sword Master!

Warmsignal

« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2021, 03:05:47 pm »
Maybe I should check my local store's GC department. They have almost nothing but what I consider trash titles left, but I bet they're collectively worth about $10,000 right now.

It's kinda like what happened with SNES about 10 years ago, is happening now with GameCube. There's a huge following of collectors on YT going nuts about full-set grabbing on the system. I don't care about the GameCube, but it's kinda sad seeing this happen to any system over time - going from being an accessible thing that anyone can have access to into becoming a hardcore collector's item only. With GC it seems even worse than NES or SNES ever got. Would hate to see the Wii become like this, but it probably will eventually. I'm basically done collecting for the Wii, but still, I'd hate to see it go that way.

sworddude

« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2021, 03:23:20 pm »
The gamecube doesn't really have 500+ $ grails though

Some titles come close but it's cheaper than allot of the older consoles.

For the more common sought after titles I'll agree that might be worse than what happened on consoles such as the snes but I'm not to sure. especially if you still count cib cardboard wich is always a pain to collect for.

I don't think the wii will ever be as collectable as the cube though.

Gamecube generation is the final line in wich crazy prices will happen for a sizable chunk of the library. not to say that future generations won't be collectible it's probably just going to be allot less than older consoles.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2021, 05:38:21 pm by sworddude »

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2021, 05:59:19 pm »

For the more common sought after titles I'll agree that might be worse than what happened on consoles such as the snes but I'm not to sure. especially if you still count cib cardboard wich is always a pain to collect for.

Gamecube generation is the final line in wich crazy prices will happen for a sizable chunk of the library. not to say that future generations won't be collectible it's probably just going to be allot less than older consoles.

You might be right I don't see the Wii jumping up in value as fast as the GameCube did but I do see some games already trending over 100 dollars! Things are getting nuts.

Warmsignal

« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2021, 06:10:55 pm »

You might be right I don't see the Wii jumping up in value as fast as the GameCube did but I do see some games already trending over 100 dollars! Things are getting nuts.

Yeah, what happen with Rhythm Heaver Fever? As far as I knew it was a common game with only a moderate popularity. Now it's reached holy grail status?

Did most of my Wii collecting back in the day of the Wii, there's was nothing expensive at that time. People were still totally writing the system off. I think it'll all spike eventually.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2021, 06:12:57 pm by Warmsignal »

sworddude

« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2021, 06:52:45 pm »
In europe I hardly see rhytm fever It's pretty uncommon over here unless I really want an italian version of the game pretty badly.

I see way more copies of radiant dawn or dokapon kingdom than rhytm fever. Should have bit the bullet and bought it for 10 - 15$ in stores who still had stock some years ago lol  :P

pzeke

« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2021, 08:38:34 pm »
Seeing as most GCN games are also on the PS2 and Xbox, it's preferable to get them for those consoles instead for far cheaper, and just get whatever happens to be exclusive to the console.

Aside from Die Hard Vendetta, a few other games I would recommend:
Conflict: Desert Storm ($8-$10 - also on PS2 and Xbox, but the one for GCN is the better version)
Odama ($10-$14)
Evolution Worlds ($15-20)
Mega Man Network Transmission ($25-$30)
Geist ($25-$30)

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

dreama1

« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2021, 11:40:19 pm »
Seeing as most GCN games are also on the PS2 and Xbox, it's preferable to get them for those consoles instead for far cheaper, and just get whatever happens to be exclusive to the console.

Conflict: Desert Storm ($8-$10 - also on PS2 and Xbox, but the one for GCN is the better version)
Odama ($10-$14)
Geist ($25-$30)
Turok is 60fps as well on gamecube compared to the ps2 and xbox.

« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2021, 12:08:18 am »
Don't know how much it goes for nowadays, but I managed to pick up Donkey Kong Jungle Beat and a pair of bongos for very cheap in 2018. I wouldn't necessarily include it on a list of "essential GC titles", but it is a neat little game that I don't hear people talk about enough.

I've only played it on PS2, but TimeSplitters 2 is a decent game and seemed to go for cheap on GC.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 12:12:34 am by chexmixbreath »

« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2021, 02:57:45 am »
but it's kinda sad seeing this happen to any system over time - going from being an accessible thing that anyone can have access to into becoming a hardcore collector's item only. With GC it seems even worse than NES or SNES ever got.

I'd say the thing is that right now the GCN/PS2/XBOX generation is right in the "nostalgia sweet spot", as people who were kids when the system was out are now in their late twenties & early thirties, and now with increased disposable income, are trying to reacquire bits of their childhood. And with Covid still being a thing, sitting at home playing video games becomes more appealing and further incentivizes them (especially as other venues and hobbies are currently closed to them). Additionally, it doesn't help that Nintendo is very reluctant to port games forwards in generations like Sony and Microsoft do. Besides piracy, if you want to play Super Smash Bros. Melee, you need to get a Gamecube and a copy of the game, whereas if you wanted say, Final Fantasy or Halo, you can just grab a port with your latest system or PC and just go.

sworddude

« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2021, 06:48:16 am »
but it's kinda sad seeing this happen to any system over time - going from being an accessible thing that anyone can have access to into becoming a hardcore collector's item only. With GC it seems even worse than NES or SNES ever got.

Besides piracy, if you want to play Super Smash Bros. Melee, you need to get a Gamecube and a copy of the game, whereas if you wanted say, Final Fantasy or Halo, you can just grab a port with your latest system or PC and just go.

you can say the same for FF VII and symphony of the night yet those prices stay pretty high. or what about the megaman X series. collections on modern and past gen consoles till it bleeds out of your ears. wth do those prices stay sky rocket high. even as early as ps2 you had collections for the megaman series. These games should have been worth pennies like FF X and X-2 on ps2 are nowadays

Most people who collect today don't do it just for the gameplay it seems. gameplay is a thing but fans of a series want to own a physical copy.. also any serious melee player worth their salt will play it on pc for online play to actually improve at the game that's pretty much the standard in that scene. owning the game is more of a throphy to them especially in the current era. if your not doing that it's going to be rough to enter competitive in local tournaments
« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 08:04:22 am by sworddude »

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2021, 06:24:39 pm »

Odama ($10-$14)
Geist ($25-$30)

Yes! I forgot about Evolution Worlds excellent recommendation!

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2021, 06:32:57 pm »

Yeah, what happen with Rhythm Heaver Fever? As far as I knew it was a common game with only a moderate popularity. Now it's reached holy grail status?

Did most of my Wii collecting back in the day of the Wii, there's was nothing expensive at that time. People were still totally writing the system off. I think it'll all spike eventually.

Have you seen how much Veggy World for the Wii is going for?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 06:39:25 pm by wartoy »

« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2021, 07:09:52 pm »

Call of Duty 2: Big Red One -  for Gamecube

It's vary similar if not exactly the same as the PlayStation 2 version. but it's currently cheap and not common since Amazon only has 13 different sellers selling it used currently

Odama ($10-$14)
Geist ($25-$30)

I firmly agree with this statement as if I had more interest I'd buy the GameCube Exclusives first and skip all the other games I could get cheaper for other consoels like the PlayStation 2 and Original Xbox
« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 07:14:59 pm by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

pzeke

« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2021, 07:50:12 pm »
Turok is 60fps as well on gamecube compared to the ps2 and xbox.

Well, in cases like that one's due diligence is to do the research. I, for instance, wanted to get Conflict: Desert Storm for PS2 for the sake of uniformity, but when I found the GCN version fixes some things the Greatest Hits copy didn't but should've, I didn't think twice.

Don't know how much it goes for nowadays, but I managed to pick up Donkey Kong Jungle Beat and a pair of bongos for very cheap in 2018. I wouldn't necessarily include it on a list of "essential GC titles", but it is a neat little game that I don't hear people talk about enough.

I've only played it on PS2, but TimeSplitters 2 is a decent game and seemed to go for cheap on GC.

Same. I got it for $20-something shipped complete off eBay - the game itself is still sealed.

And yes, Time Splitters 2 for GCN goes for around $25-$30, with the Player's Choice going for a bit less.

Have you seen how much Veggy World for the Wii is going for?

The NDS version goes for more. It's a meh shmup in all honesty.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!