Author Topic: Best Metroidvania games ?  (Read 4733 times)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Re: Best Metroidvania games ?
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2021, 06:48:26 pm »
Castlevania II: Simon's Quest counts as a Metroidvania, right?

soera

« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2021, 09:50:05 pm »
Axiom Verge is one of my favorites. Guacamelee was good. One that was not mentioned was Sundered. I really enjoyed it.

undertakerprime

PRO Supporter

« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2021, 12:49:29 pm »
In regards to the Castlevanias that were Metroidvania style, I'm partial to Harmony of Dissonance myself.  :)

I'm also a huge fan of Harmony of Dissonance.

Harmony of Dissonance seems to get a lot of crap, but it’s a fun game. The graphics and music get most of that criticism, mainly from people who don’t understand the situation. Circle of the Moon received a lot of complaints for how dark the screen was on the original non-backlit GBA, so the graphics were made brighter and more colorful in the follow-up, which showed up better but didn’t really fit the spooky aesthetic. And correct me if I’m wrong, but I read the low quality of the music was because the programmers literally ran out of allotted memory and had to reduce the quality to fit it all in.

Anyway, it’s a good example of gameplay trumping any visual or aural deficiencies.

koemo1

PRO Supporter

« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2021, 03:04:31 pm »
Best Metroidvania game that I have played was Dex. To be honest, I have not played many of these type of games but I really enjoyed it :D
Currently playing:
Rogue Trooper [xbox]
Days Gone [ps4]

pzeke

« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2021, 05:27:03 pm »
Might as well leave this here., as well as this and this.

All currently under development.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

sworddude

« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2021, 06:00:36 am »
In regards to the Castlevanias that were Metroidvania style, I'm partial to Harmony of Dissonance myself.  :)

I'm also a huge fan of Harmony of Dissonance.

Harmony of Dissonance seems to get a lot of crap, but it’s a fun game. The graphics and music get most of that criticism, mainly from people who don’t understand the situation. Circle of the Moon received a lot of complaints for how dark the screen was on the original non-backlit GBA, so the graphics were made brighter and more colorful in the follow-up, which showed up better but didn’t really fit the spooky aesthetic. And correct me if I’m wrong, but I read the low quality of the music was because the programmers literally ran out of allotted memory and had to reduce the quality to fit it all in.

Anyway, it’s a good example of gameplay trumping any visual or aural deficiencies.

Not the best metroidvania but I do have a soft spot for that game

First metroid vania game that I have played Didn't really know about the castlevania series beforehand. came in a random set and it looked weird.

Friends said it looked like a trash game they weren't really that knowledgebale with retro games when it's not the popular stuff such as mario zelda. neither was I.

so I didn't try it out until a store said they would give me 30$ for a lose cardridge in an era when gba deals where cheap and plentyfull. So I kept it and checked it out. also triggered me to collect for other consoles such as ps1 ps2 since castlevania games existed on that console aswell in wich I discovered allot of other games that I liked.

Considering the prices nowadays I'm not to sure if I would ever consider trying the castlevania series if I started from scratch today since I would probably just stick with the mainstream and some titles from the past I would just neglect it's existence. I doubt I would have come across a castlevania title randomly in the current era. Maybe I'd play hollow knight and know of castlevania afterwards since that game at the very least has become a bit popular.

That aside

The music was still great I'd say and the grapics where most definitely a huge step up from the moon circlet and way above average for gba standards. grapics wise it still had a spooky astetic at times and when it was to colorfull I'd say it definitely has an underworld/hell theming wich defenitely fits the series pretty well.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2021, 06:42:55 am by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2021, 08:30:44 pm »
The Last Faith looks to be very Castlevania: Symphony of the Night inspired. Looking forward to it when it comes out. To be released sometime in 2021 for Steam, PlayStation, Xbox, & Switch.

Gestalt: Steam & Cinder is another that looks SotN inspired, but with a steampunk aesthetic. Another one I've had my eye on. To be released sometime in 2021 for Steam, PlayStation, Xbox, & Switch.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2021, 02:45:41 pm »
Blasphemous is another great Metroidvania. It’s hard as balls, but I enjoyed it.

« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2021, 03:01:55 pm »
Blasphemous is another great Metroidvania. It’s hard as balls, but I enjoyed it.

I keep almost starting it then deciding that I don't want to play anything difficult.

undertakerprime

PRO Supporter

« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2021, 06:41:33 pm »

I keep almost starting it then deciding that I don't want to play anything difficult.

If it helps, it’s not Hollow Knight difficult.
I personally find it fair-difficult, like it can be hard but when you die 99% of the time it’s your fault. There’s very little cheapness.

« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2021, 07:08:42 pm »

If it helps, it’s not Hollow Knight difficult.
I personally find it fair-difficult, like it can be hard but when you die 99% of the time it’s your fault. There’s very little cheapness.

That does help.  I didn't find Hollow Knight that hard aside from a couple of bosses.

kypherion

« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2021, 01:53:49 am »
Touhou Luna Nights
Record of Lodoss War: Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth
Shin Megami Tensei Synchronicity: Prologue
Hollow Knight
Metroid Fusion
Castlevania DS games, Aria of Sorrow, Symphony of the Night
Koumajou Densetsu I + II
Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night
"Well, As The Philosopher Jagger Once Said, 'You Can't Always Get What You Want.'"

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2021, 01:42:41 pm »

The Mummy Demastered by Way Forward (Shantae and DuckTales Remastered developer).

Just started playing this one last night. It's like Super Metroid meets Castlevania, and it's fantastic!

What I mean by that is the gameplay is totally Super Metroid, but the enemies and environments are totally Castlevania.

And that awesome 80s-style Synthwave soundtrack. So cool sounding. Sounds like something from Dynatron or Kavinsky.

I'm playing it on Xbox One. Also on PS4, Steam, and Switch.

Check this one out, guys. Very cool.

kypherion

« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2021, 07:45:35 pm »

The Mummy Demastered by Way Forward (Shantae and DuckTales Remastered developer).

Just started playing this one last night. It's like Super Metroid meets Castlevania, and it's fantastic!

What I mean by that is the gameplay is totally Super Metroid, but the enemies and environments are totally Castlevania.

And that awesome 80s-style Synthwave soundtrack. So cool sounding. Sounds like something from Dynatron or Kavinsky.

I'm playing it on Xbox One. Also on PS4, Steam, and Switch.

Check this one out, guys. Very cool.

I'll have to check this one out, it looks good!
"Well, As The Philosopher Jagger Once Said, 'You Can't Always Get What You Want.'"

covfefe2020

« Reply #44 on: April 09, 2021, 09:11:32 pm »
Spider-Man Web of shadows on the DS is pretty great. Its also kind of a beat-em-up.
The Benevolent and Powerful covfefe2020