Author Topic: Resident Evil Anime Reportedly Coming to Netflix  (Read 1046 times)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Resident Evil Anime Reportedly Coming to Netflix
« on: March 22, 2021, 01:49:39 pm »
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbr.com/netflix-resident-evil-infinite-darkness-voice-cast-images/amp/

So rumors are popping up again about a Resident Evil Netflix series. We've heard rumors before, and they seemed to fizzle out.

From what I've read this time it's going to be an "anime" instead of live-action. Though the term anime is used loosely as it's really CGI. It will disregard the live-action movies.

It centers around Leon Kennedy and Claire Redfield. That leads me to believe it will follow the Resident Evil 2 story, but nothing confirms that. If it does, awesome. My favorite entry in the video game series.

I'm glad we're getting something Resident Evil, but I'm disappointed it's no longer live-action like we were originally going to get.

What do you guys think? Will this actually see the light of day, or be dropped like the live-action series? Do you like the idea of it being an anime?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 05:07:37 pm by burningdoom »

sworddude

Re: Resident Evil Anime Reportedly Coming to Netflix
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2021, 02:13:55 pm »
It's 3D it doesn't look drawn or cartoon like at all? it's pretty much like the grapics in the modern RE games

How is this considered an anime?

computer-animated I'd say but not anime.
Your Stylish Sword Master!

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2021, 02:22:04 pm »
It's 3D it doesn't look drawn or cartoon like at all? it's pretty much like the grapics in the modern RE games

How is this considered an anime?

computer-animated I'd say but not anime.

I mentioned that in the post. Their term, not mine.

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2021, 03:15:28 pm »
It just reminds me of the CG RE movies, you know Degeneration and Damnation.

As for CG being Anime... I mean I consider the latest Lupin the 3rd to still be anime and that's completely CG (and amazing btw check it out). All I know for sure is that Netflix has a very loose definition for anime.

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2021, 04:52:47 pm »
You might have been mistaking this project, which I'm pretty sure was always meant to be CG, to the live action movie that is coming out also that is a reboot that is meant to adapt the first two games.  It's being called "RE: Welcome to Racoon City".  I am expecting it to be bad since it's the same production company as the previous live action films and the director has no history of anything good.  I guess at the very least, it isn't being made by Paul W.S. Anderson and his original character/wife Milla Jovovich, especially after that slop that was Monster Hunter.  https://deadline.com/2021/03/resident-evil-kaya-scodelario-reboot-unveils-title-1234719268/

And yes, CG is still anime.  The term anime is certainly stretched these days, but this does seem to be entirely Japanese made, which makes it anime.  It usually stops being anime when the company in charge is not Japanese, even if animated by a Japanese company.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2021, 05:18:14 pm »
You might have been mistaking this project, which I'm pretty sure was always meant to be CG, to the live action movie that is coming out also that is a reboot that is meant to adapt the first two games.  It's being called "RE: Welcome to Racoon City".  I am expecting it to be bad since it's the same production company as the previous live action films and the director has no history of anything good.  I guess at the very least, it isn't being made by Paul W.S. Anderson and his original character/wife Milla Jovovich, especially after that slop that was Monster Hunter.  https://deadline.com/2021/03/resident-evil-kaya-scodelario-reboot-unveils-title-1234719268/

And yes, CG is still anime.  The term anime is certainly stretched these days, but this does seem to be entirely Japanese made, which makes it anime.  It usually stops being anime when the company in charge is not Japanese, even if animated by a Japanese company.

I was under the impression that what makes it anime are the manga origins and the signature lower frame-rate that anime has.

I got that from a documentary i watched. I'm no anime expert, by any means.

I swear I remember hearing about a live-action RE series a few years back, but I could be mistaken.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 05:21:08 pm by burningdoom »

sworddude

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2021, 05:35:15 pm »

so what would you call a western animated series

Such as the last airbender or castlevania

You don't call those cartoons right? That feels pretty wrong I'd say
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2021, 05:45:51 pm »
I was under the impression that what makes it anime are the manga origins and the signature lower frame-rate that anime has.

I got that from a documentary i watched. I'm no anime expert, by any means.

I swear I remember hearing about a live-action RE series a few years back, but I could be mistaken.

Mostly these days, anime just needs to primarily be a full Japanese production since there are studios that are creating projects that are animated by Japanese studios, but the studio in charge isn't Japanese and the market it is being made for isn't that of the Japanese market.   Like the Transformers: Robot in Disguise CG animated show is an American production, but animated by Polygon Pictures, a Japanese company.

CG anime has also done that element of lower frame-rate like you are talking about, but I don't think it's required for an anime.  Like Land of the Lustrous is a great anime, full CG, no low frame-rate, but there are other shows that mix it, which I think doesn't look super great, primarily stuff from Polygon Pictures who did like Knights of Sidonia, the Godzilla trilogy, and more recently Pacific Rim: The New Black, where character stuff is a lower frame frate, while the action is smoother.  You get use to it, but I'd rather they just drop it entirely for a fully smooth animation.

so what would you call a western animated series

Such as the last airbender or castlevania

You don't call those cartoons right? That feels pretty wrong I'd say

I've seen some people try to justify Avatar as essentially being anime, but I personally just look at them as being anime inspired.  They are an "Animated Series", but not "Anime".  It's one of those things that there isn't exactly a super serious concrete definition, I just go with the idea that anime is primarily a Japanese production.

I knew I read something about it:

https://www.whats-on-netflix.com/news/resident-evil-season-1-on-netflix-everything-we-know-so-far-12-20/amp/

Oh yeah, guess there was something for that.  I think that will make for a third project, not that this CG show is the replacement, since the CG show would likely have already been in development at this point in time and that this live action will come out later on.  Unless they did just cancel it, but we'll have to see.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 05:49:06 pm by kamikazekeeg »