Author Topic: How Many Collectors Only Collect What They Enjoy?  (Read 3200 times)

Re: How Many Collectors Only Collect What They Enjoy?
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2021, 06:38:28 pm »
That's all I've ever done. You won't find a single sports title in my collection besides Tony Hawk and WWE, or anything else I won't touch unless it's come from a lot I've bought and it just won't sell.

some will probably think I'm weird. but I Love sports games for some reason. Most of my games are racing and first person shooters and sports games but I have something for every genre.

Question:

Of course we know of collectors who go for obtaining full sets of every game that released for a system, sports and shovelware be damned, so are there known collectors who are trying to find *sealed* copies of everything, including those sports and shovelware games?

I ask because I have a copy of David Robinson's Supreme Court for the Sega Genesis that's unopened and still in shrink, I literally only bought it because it was like 3 dollars at a KB Toys many, many years ago. I never once entertained the thought it would be worth anything one day, just bought it because I thought it was funny to be buying a new Genesis game at a retail store in 2006.

Since any game is automatically more valuable if it's still in its original shrinkwrap, does this mean I now stand a chance of selling a completely unnoteworthy 16-bit basketball game to someone who feverishly desires the perfect, fully complete Genesis game library for a higher price than usual?

That game sounds like fun to me. but someone else would be more happier then me to have something as rare as a Sealed complete Genesis game. I don't collect complete sets and I got lots of other sports games already to scratch my basketball itch. :)
« Last Edit: March 01, 2021, 06:41:17 pm by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

gummo

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2021, 07:43:17 pm »
Some older cart games like Atari 8-bit I collect the platform .
The newer stuff , I'm more picky . I'll collect games that I plan on playing and a small percentage of that is games that I've gotten in lots that I came to own by chance .

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2021, 07:56:57 pm »
Ok here goes I collect everything if the price is cheap enough. If its a sports game or children's title it probably has to be free or close to free for me to pick it up.Unless I'm trying for a complete set,right now I'm close to completing nes,snes,n64,gamecube,dreamcast and xbox360 but if I don't complete them that ok too. I just figured I'm close so why not? I do try to play every game even bad games can be fun sometime.I do like to display them by set and alphabetically and I do enjoy vewing the artwork on my games as well as playing them so you could say I also only collect what I enjoy. Alot of people talk about filler games to me it's all personal perspective.I used to hate platformers I thought they were filler titles till my gaming taste changed now im still trying to find games I should of got years ago for cheaper. You can buy or collect whatever you enjoy whether it's sports games,bad games,rare or not I don't judge it's all in good fun.

Warmsignal

« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2021, 09:12:59 pm »
Of course that's all I collect. But "enjoying" is often times more than just thinking "this is a fantastic game". Everything in my collection, is something I enjoy or am interested in on some level. Everything on my game shelves, I could tell you something about that game, why I like it (or don't), where I bought it, how much I paid, and what the game means to me. All of them are there for a reason, and all of them were intentional purchases. At this point, I've purged anything that wasn't.

That's not to say that my game collection is going to look like a treasure-trove of all the best games ever; it isn't. It's just what I like, what I thought was worthy of owning and displaying. Some folks equate a large collection as being filler. But you can have a lot of games, and like them too. That's where the philosophy of quality over quantity sort-of falls flat, if what you like is a lot of different things... If I wanted, I could curate a smaller collection of only the most highly praised games, but that wouldn't be satisfying to me. I don't really care what they say are the only games worth my money. It's about what I like. It's taken me over a decade to achieve what I have and all on a limited budget, and that in itself means something to me.

I organize mine by console, and then by genre, typically. Sometimes by publisher, or by chronological order of release date, when I'm feeling especially archival about a console's library. No alphabet soup for me.

BinaryMessiah

« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2021, 09:40:15 pm »
This is me. Money, time, and space are limited for most collector's. I feel if I don't limit myself to only collecting what I want to play I might become a hoarder, and there are hoarder game collector's out there. I don't need every single game ever made, just what I want to play or the few exceptions of a game being a holy grail or something. I don't go for complete sets, and I have other priorities financially so only extra money here and there goes to collecting. I've been collecting for 15 years regularly so what started out as many a few dozens games has turned into about 1,500 or so.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2021, 11:11:52 pm »
I’m on both sides of it.
I have a ton of stuff from the NES on up to Dreamcast that I’ll never play. I’m a completionist on some stuff. For later stuff, I don’t want to spend a ton of money on things I’ll never play.

« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2021, 11:14:42 pm »
This conversation makes me think to a discussion I recently witnessed on a discord server, in which a 30 year old, unemployed “collector” was seeking to garner sympathy for their need to spend 1000 dollars a month to keep up their full Switch set.  ???

^^^ These people are mentally ill. I have only sought to buy what I want to play (even though my backlog grows admittedly larger).

However, just as I don’t begrudge scalpers, I don’t begrudge collectors, either... but people who use stimulus checks and unemployment payments to fund their video game crack habit are reasons why I grow increasingly uncharitable, from a taxpayer perspective.
—Currently Playing—
Ace Attorney 4-5-6 (NS)
Raiden IV x Mikado (NS)

« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2021, 01:03:53 am »
Regardless of how you feel about the way they spend their money, no matter how stupid they are with it, the money is supposed to be spent so that it stimulates the economy, no? And those stimulus checks, as pitifully small the amounts were, did provide much needed relief to those who needed it. Even if just about everyone in my social circle is of a middle class college educated upbringing and definitely not needing the money, that doesn't mean there aren't millions of other Americans with far lesser socioeconomic stature who are out of work and unable to afford next month's rent who used the money for entirely for living essentials. And even if the poor folks used some of the money to buy weed and some new speakers, who gives a shit? Life is hard enough as it is, the average American's spirit is at an all-time low, so why not let folks buy a small amount of non-essential happiness as relief...

« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2021, 10:34:48 am »
Regardless of how you feel about the way they spend their money, no matter how stupid they are with it, the money is supposed to be spent so that it stimulates the economy, no? And those stimulus checks, as pitifully small the amounts were, did provide much needed relief to those who needed it. Even if just about everyone in my social circle is of a middle class college educated upbringing and definitely not needing the money, that doesn't mean there aren't millions of other Americans with far lesser socioeconomic stature who are out of work and unable to afford next month's rent who used the money for entirely for living essentials. And even if the poor folks used some of the money to buy weed and some new speakers, who gives a shit? Life is hard enough as it is, the average American's spirit is at an all-time low, so why not let folks buy a small amount of non-essential happiness as relief...
Because then more taxpayer money beyond stimulus checks will be needed to go to these same people (that I am referencing above), who spent irresponsibly in the first place, to provide for them what they chose not to get, in the first place.

Again, I was referencing a nutter who spends 1000 a month on games, not someone who buys food and clothes, and tosses 50-100 bucks at some entertainment.
—Currently Playing—
Ace Attorney 4-5-6 (NS)
Raiden IV x Mikado (NS)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2021, 11:58:08 am »
Because then more taxpayer money beyond stimulus checks will be needed to go to these same people (that I am referencing above), who spent irresponsibly in the first place, to provide for them what they chose not to get, in the first place.

Again, I was referencing a nutter who spends 1000 a month on games, not someone who buys food and clothes, and tosses 50-100 bucks at some entertainment.

I'm that guy. I've got a family and responsibilities that come first. Yet I still have a healthy collection. Years of progress, waiting for good deals and thrifting, and flipping comics to fund it got me there
« Last Edit: March 02, 2021, 12:56:10 pm by burningdoom »

pzeke

« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2021, 12:44:29 pm »
How Many Collectors Only Collect What They Enjoy?

Since always.

I don't pick up games that I haven't researched to try to determine if I'll like them and I don't buy any games I haven't heard of [...] I keep my collection very curated to things that I like.

I ask because I have a copy of David Robinson's Supreme Court for the Sega Genesis that's unopened and still in shrink, [...]

Since any game is automatically more valuable if it's still in its original shrinkwrap, does this mean I now stand a chance of selling a completely unnoteworthy 16-bit basketball game to someone who feverishly desires the perfect, fully complete Genesis game library for a higher price than usual?

Depending on its condition, you could get up to $25 for it...perhaps $30 if you find the right buyer.

This conversation makes me think to a discussion I recently witnessed on a discord server, in which a 30 year old, unemployed “collector” was seeking to garner sympathy for their need to spend 1000 dollars a month to keep up their full Switch set.  ???

^^^ These people are mentally ill. I have only sought to buy what I want to play (even though my backlog grows admittedly larger).

However, just as I don’t begrudge scalpers, I don’t begrudge collectors, either... but people who use stimulus checks and unemployment payments to fund their video game crack habit are reasons why I grow increasingly uncharitable, from a taxpayer perspective.

There are people who are in debt because of their penchant to keep their collection/addiction, essentially becoming hoarders, so none of this surprises me at all.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2021, 03:37:23 pm »
I'm that guy. I've got a family and responsibilities that come first. Yet I still have a healthy collection. Years of progress, waiting for good deals and thrifting, and flipping comics to fund it got me there
You're not that guy. You just described yourself as someone who takes care of his priorities first. So, good on you :)
—Currently Playing—
Ace Attorney 4-5-6 (NS)
Raiden IV x Mikado (NS)

« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2021, 09:43:49 am »
I once knew a guy who toke out a loan for about 30 grand to buy 5 neo geo aes games so there is always worse.

But i'll admit i'm also guilty of spending 1000 euros or more on games in the past. Back in the day when i lived with my parents, diden't have a care in the world other then making sure i got in time to work. A lot of stuff was also alot cheaper then it is nowadays, yes those were the days.

« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2021, 12:37:14 pm »
I once knew a guy who toke out a loan for about 30 grand to buy 5 neo geo aes games so there is always worse.

But i'll admit i'm also guilty of spending 1000 euros or more on games in the past. Back in the day when i lived with my parents, diden't have a care in the world other then making sure i got in time to work. A lot of stuff was also alot cheaper then it is nowadays, yes those were the days.

Sometimes you think you're bad with your collecting habits but never take out a loan to buy games bad. My goodness.

pzeke

« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2021, 10:11:03 pm »
If I recall correctly, the YouTuber known as Fluffy Gamer used to be, or may still be in debt for spending more money than he has on video games. At least he alluded to this multiple times on a few of his videos.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!