Author Topic: What grail games do you wish you had  (Read 2884 times)

dhaabi

Re: What grail games do you wish you had
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2021, 08:40:12 pm »
Cubivore: Survival of the Fittest for GameCube. When I first became aware of the game around 2011, the game was around $50. Years later, it's now being sold complete for nearly $450.

pzeke

« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2021, 10:17:53 pm »
I guess I'll quote myself...again:

If we're going by the literal meaning of the phrase, my "white whales" are Aero Fighters, Hagane: The Final Conflict, and Ninja Gaiden Trilogy (SNES); Ninja Five-O (GBA); The Misadventures of Tron Bonne (PS1); and Gotcha Force (GCN).

From time to time I end up finding one or two priced "reasonably" on eBay, but I have never caved in even though I seem close to. Last year I was about to close the deal with Gotcha Force for $155, but in the end I didn't. I'm stingy when it comes to money, but I've made peace knowing I might bite the bullet with at least one of these someday. Hopefully by then they drop in price.

Hopefully.

I'm no longer actively looking for any of these, though.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2021, 12:04:52 am »
Time for a remake or sequel!

They did make a sequel....for the Kinect. So, they've done both extremes for controllers when it comes to Steel Battalion.

As for the main topic, my main white whale isn't a game itself, but an in-game item. It would be the Green Confetti Soldered Sensei for Team Fortress 2. Getting it would mean I would have a complete robohat set of the same effect. Problem is only 2 exist and both are in other collector's backpacks and aren't for sale unless I shell out an absurd amount (i.e. $300+). So, I'm basically stuck waiting until one of them wants to cash out or another one appears (which there is a chance, but it's infinitesimally small).

NickAwesome

PRO Supporter

« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2021, 02:12:22 am »
I knocked off Snatcher last year which was my grail for many years. Don't really have one at the moment- I'm more focused on rounding out other aspects of the collection and completing sets.

My goal is to one day have complete sets for the following consoles

PS1- Done
Dreamcast- Done
Saturn- 19 to go
3DO- 49 to go
Sega CD- 34 to go
Jaguar- 26 to go

For 3DO- the big ones I will need are Lucienne's Quest and Dino Park Tycoon- Dino Park Tycoon is basically the Stadium Events of 3DO collecting- if I ever get that one it would be pretty remarkable.

For Saturn- there are some heavy hitters I need still but not really grails- unless I decide I want to get Daytona Netlink Edition- it's split as to whether it's needed for a full set

Sega CD- Keio will be rough- out of all the systems on this list- this may be one set I never finish

Jaguar- Not really any grails either and the problem here is that there are so many aftermarket and releases that came years after the system died, nobody knows what's actually a full set.

I'm kicking around the idea of going after an n64 cib set but i'm missing so many heavies- just not worth it now. I would rather just have a well-rounded collection of games I like.

undertakerprime

PRO Supporter

« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2021, 12:54:25 pm »
If money was no object, my grail would be my own arcade, complete with pinball machines.

More realistically, I really want a Q*Bert arcade cabinet. I don’t care if it’s vintage or the rerelease that came out a while back, as long as it has the proper sound chip that plays the random voice effects. It isn’t truly Q*Bert unless the characters are spouting unintelligible random gobbledegook :D

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2021, 06:48:46 pm »
I knocked off Snatcher last year which was my grail for many years. Don't really have one at the moment- I'm more focused on rounding out other aspects of the collection and completing sets.

PS1- Done
Dreamcast- Done
Saturn- 19 to go
3DO- 49 to go
Sega CD- 34 to go
Jaguar- 26 to go

For 3DO- the big ones I will need are Lucienne's Quest and Dino Park Tycoon- Dino Park Tycoon is basically the Stadium Events of 3DO collecting- if I ever get that one it would be pretty remarkable.

For Saturn- there are some heavy hitters I need still but not really grails- unless I decide I want to get Daytona Netlink Edition- it's split as to whether it's needed for a full set

Sega CD- Keio will be rough- out of all the systems on this list- this may be one set I never finish

Jaguar- Not really any grails either and the problem here is that there are so many aftermarket and releases that came years after the system died, nobody knows what's actually a full set.

I'm kicking around the idea of going after an n64 cib set but i'm missing so many heavies- just not worth it now. I would rather just have a well-rounded collection of games I like.
Your collection is very impressive a full ps1 set is no easy task.Im close to completing about 7 sets but I have not completed any yet.

« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2021, 01:43:25 pm »
The only one that comes to mind is Magical Chase. I would have a complete boxed Turbo set if it wasn’t for that game. The only way I could justify dropping that cash, would be to sell off some of my collection.
Once that money was in hand though, I would probably have a difficult time spending it on one game. It would be easier if it were a direct trade, games for game.
Maybe one day...

azure

« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2021, 08:56:13 pm »
Kuon on PS2, only FromSoft game I do not own  :'(

NickAwesome

PRO Supporter

« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2021, 01:05:43 am »

PS1- Done
Dreamcast- Done
Saturn- 19 to go
3DO- 49 to go
Sega CD- 34 to go
Jaguar- 26 to go

Your collection is very impressive a full ps1 set is no easy task.Im close to completing about 7 sets but I have not completed any yet.

Thank you! It did help that ps1 was the only system I really collected for many years (well and ps2)- My bio here I think still says Sony collector- though I decided to expand to other systems shortly after.

Your collection is very impressive as well- you are so close for 360 and Dreamcast particularly. Are you trying to focus on any set in particular now or just picking up titles as you see them. That's mostly what I do but once I get close- then I start just focusing on that system. Or at least trying to- I have mostly heavies for Saturn left so that one might take me a long while.  I'd love to see a picture of the 360- a full set of that is definitely not something you see that often.

Flashback2012

« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2021, 10:33:13 am »
Debated on posting to this thread as I own a lot of these grails people are after but that comes from 30+ years of collecting as well as wanting the stuff that would go up in value. There's PLENTY I don't have that I'd love to acquire someday but with prices being what they are I don't know if that's feasible. Then again, if I came into a sizeable amount of lottery F-You money, these would be my most desired...

3DO
Dino Park Tycoon

Arcade & Pinball
The Addams Family Pinball, Baby Pac-Man, Night Striker Sit Down

GameBoy GB/GBC/GBA
(GB) Kid Dracula, (GBC) Shantae (Original), Snoopy Tennis, (GBA) Altered Beast: Guardian of the Realm, Ninja Five-O, Revenge of Shinobi

GameCube
Hudson Selection 1-4 (JPN), Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness

Game Gear/Sega Master System
(SMS) The Flash (EU), Dynamite Dux

Genesis/Sega CD/32X
(32X) Amazing Spider-Man: Web of Fire, (GEN) El Viento, Fatal Rewind, Vapor Trail, Wardner

Nintendo 3DS
Yo-Kai Watch 3

Playstation PS/PS2/PS3/PS4
(PS) Harmful Park (JPN), Macross VF-X2 (JPN), Tales of Destiny II, (PS2) Thunder Force VI (JPN), (PS3) Macross 30: Ginga wo Tsunagu Utagoe - 30th Anniversary Edition (JPN), (PS4) Gravity Rush: Remastered, Job Simulator, Saint Seiya: Soldier's Soul, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana CE

Saturn
Cotton Boomerang (JPN), Sexy Parodius (JPN), Thunderforce Gold Pack 2 (JPN), Fighters Megamix

SNES
Aero Fighters, Hagane, Super Bomberman 3, 4, 5 (JPN)

Turbografx-16/PC Engine
Bonk III CD, Dungeon Explorer II, Dynastic Hero, Magical Chase, New Adventure Island, Soldier Blade, Super Air Zonk

Vita
Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two, Mary Skelter Nightmares, Ys III: Lacrimosa of Dana CE

Wii/Wii U
(Wii) Fishing Resort w/Rod Bundle, (WiiU) Wii Party U

Xbox/XB 360/XB One
(XB360) Konami Classics V2

« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2021, 11:23:16 pm »
I totally forgot about Steel Batallion on Xbox.

Have you guys seen that beast? It's a much simulator with a full board of mech pilot controls that come with it and pedal controls.

That looks like fun!

Funny enough I used to have two of these, both at the same time. It's probably one of the hardest games I've ever played. It really is as true as mech sim as you're going to find, which to some people probably sounds amazing, but after fighting to even get past the first stage for hours and also how unwieldy it is to try and find a place for the controller while playing I never picked it back up. I sold both my controllers and the game to a couple of collectors years ago and it's not something I ever intend on playing again.

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2021, 04:27:34 am »

PS1- Done
Dreamcast- Done
Saturn- 19 to go
3DO- 49 to go
Sega CD- 34 to go
Jaguar- 26 to go

Thank you! It did help that ps1 was the only system I really collected for many years (well and ps2)- My bio here I think still says Sony collector- though I decided to expand to other systems shortly after.

Your collection is very impressive as well- you are so close for 360 and Dreamcast particularly. Are you trying to focus on any set in particular now or just picking up titles as you see them. That's mostly what I do but once I get close- then I start just focusing on that system. Or at least trying to- I have mostly heavies for Saturn left so that one might take me a long while.  I'd love to see a picture of the 360- a full set of that is definitely not something you see that often.
Thank you also! I've been collecting for about 37 years I'm closest to completing the n64 only 2 left.Right now.My focus is Nes,Snes and GameCube but if I could find any 360 or Dreamcast games I need I would grab them.If your interested in seeing pictures you can see some in my gallery