Author Topic: SNES vs Sega Genesis Observation  (Read 2584 times)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

SNES vs Sega Genesis Observation
« on: March 09, 2021, 01:28:13 pm »
I like and enjoy both consoles. But if I had to make the choice I'd go with SNES.

But I've noticed as I get older, my Genesis wishlist continues to grow as my SNES wishlist shrinks.

SNES has more all-time classics. The type of games that made waves in the entire gaming industry still felt to this day with games like Link to the Past, Super Metroid, and Chrono Trigger.

But the Genesis has more hidden gems. I keep unearthing shoot-em ups in its library that I want to get, amongst others.

Just an observation I had.

turf

PRO Supporter

Re: SNES vs Sega Genesis Observation
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2021, 02:28:57 pm »
The list of Genesis games I want keeps shrinking. There’s about 3 that I just really love, and other than that I don’t need it. There are more fun games than that, but I don’t need them.

Super Nintendo just has more great games for my taste. I’d even go as far to say that there are 10+ games on the Super Nintendo that are superior to every Sega Genesis game.

If you’re wondering.
Contra: Hard Corp
Castlevania Bloodlines
TMNT Hyperstone Heist

... and Sonic sucks
« Last Edit: March 09, 2021, 02:33:32 pm by turf »

sworddude

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2021, 06:45:23 pm »
how was contra hardcorps worse not only did you have multiple paths and somewhat of a story but unlike the snes version 100% of the game is 2d goodness not 50% like the snes game wich is a hell lotshorter aswell. also the weapon system and character selection was superior to the snes one in every way. very crisp pixel art aswell unlike the snes version especially with them mode 7 moments wich didnt age well

Bloodlines same thing really in wich you had multiple paths and characters while having superior grapics and music. Super castlevania is good but bloodlines is just the better option. Moonwalking and multiple whip directions are great but it's just the inferior game in so many ways pixelated aswell with that mode 7.

Turtles in time gets the win on snes but who needs that when you got streets of rage II.

Genesis is the console to go for my taste way more action platformers and shootemups.

Snes is more of an rpg machine in wich most of it's good non rpg games are your standard donkey kong's and mario's not much suprises with the genesis I'm still finding new gems.

The snes really lacks in the action department compared to the genesis for my taste especially if your going outside the mascot titles. it's still great but lacking compared to it's sega rival. Rpg's are nice and all but with retro I'm more of a fan of the action arcade esk games.

and that snes soundchip. while it could sound great it feels a bit cheap in allot of games. I'd rather have the clear melody's of sega wich sounds fantastic and unique. snes soundtrack can usually be done way better on newer hardware while the genesis stays unique in that deparment

Hagane is a poor mans shinobi for my taste really. and where are my games like alien soldier or gunstar heroes on snes  :o

I'm usually a nintendo guy but in the 16 bit era sega won fair and square

« Last Edit: March 09, 2021, 08:29:44 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2021, 06:49:50 pm »
I grew up having a Genesis and never had a SNES, I was always jealous of my friends who had one because Mortal Kombat II looked better on it, lol.

Pound for pound, you can't deny the excellence of the SNES library. So many heavy hitting classics that still strongly resonate with people today.

The Genesis library just doesn't have enough of the enduring classics. It was cooler and edgier at the time, but it's obvious then as it is now that Sega ended up banking hard on flash over substance as their way to cut in on Nintendo's dominance. And that plan nearly worked, for a short time, but we all know now how things played out for both companies.

That being said, Phantasy Star II will always be one of my favorite RPGs ever. But the SNES still has Final Fantasy IV-VI, Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, Secret of Evermore, Soul Blazer, Breath of Fire, Star Ocean, Earthbound, Super Mario RPG... and on and on..

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2021, 06:52:59 pm »
There's always been more games I've liked on SNES.  Genesis has some good games for sure, but stuff like Sonic, that gameplay has not aged well to me I found after playing Sonic Mania and there isn't as much I'm interested in having for it, though there are a few for sure like Gunstar Heroes and a couple others.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2021, 06:58:39 pm »
There's always been more games I've liked on SNES.  Genesis has some good games for sure, but stuff like Sonic, that gameplay has not aged well to me I found after playing Sonic Mania and there isn't as much I'm interested in having for it, though there are a few for sure like Gunstar Heroes and a couple others.

I loved Sonic Mania. Felt just like a Genesis Sonic title with just as great quality.

dreama1

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2021, 08:19:28 pm »
The SNES is kind of kiddy console compared to the Genesis/Megadrive.

There's not much for someone outside Jrpgs, and the main Nintendo franchises if you don't care for those.

I think most of the older franchises played and felt better on the NES to be honest.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2021, 08:21:06 pm by dreama1 »

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2021, 08:20:44 pm »
I like both systems but snes is way ahead of the genesis imo. I also find that alot of genesis titles are lesser known to me because the snes was my main console back in the day. So finding more hidden jems for the genesis makes senes to me.
But the snes will always be king imo. And then there is the fact that sonic does suck! I tried to like them I bought every copy and never got into them sorry sega.

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2021, 09:41:48 pm »

I loved Sonic Mania. Felt just like a Genesis Sonic title with just as great quality.

I just realized I hate that old Sonic gameplay at a certain point in my life.  Visually, musically, Sonic is awesome, always has been, but his gameplay is just a lot of running into stuff you'll never know is coming, with occasional bouts of platforming strewn throughout.  It was made more tolerable with Sonic Generations, where they zoomed the game out for Sonic classic, it helps, but otherwise I am just not into it.

undertakerprime

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2021, 12:09:24 am »
I was one of those fortunate kids who had both. Got the SNES for Christmas ‘91 and bought a Genesis + 2 games from a high school classmate for $50.

Honestly, SNES fit my preference more. I have almost 3 times as many SNES games as Genesis, plus 3 SNES games are among my personal favorites. I found I just liked the graphics and sound on the SNES better. Still, I’m glad I was able to experience the Genesis as well, with the Shinobi, Sonic, and Streets of Rage series, along with great arcade ports like Golden Axe.

Warmsignal

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2021, 12:10:08 am »
I have a built-in bias in favor of Nintendo just due to circumstance of having an older brother who had and favored Nintendo. So the SNES influenced my gaming preferences from a young age, and I'll always have more nostalgia towards it. Although we actually ended up getting a Genesis, we kind of neglected it. I didn't really know a whole lot about it until my collecting years. I think it has a damn good library of games and I can see how someone might favor it if they were playing Toejam, Golden Axe, Streets or Rage, Shinobi, Rocket Knight, OutRun, and a slew of legendary shooters like Musha, Truxton, Thunder Force, etc, not to mention lots of other great ports and exclusive counterparts to SNES titles. I wish I had played all that stuff back in the day.

Holy crap, I just discovered that I own two complete copies of Altered Beast.... I never realized that. Anyway....

One admission I will shamelessly make in favor of Genesis, is that I like Sonic 1 thru 3 hella better than Super Mario World. However, because my childhood memories are closely tied to playing SNES, I'll always favor it.

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2021, 02:12:07 am »
I like the feel for the Super Nintendo's original controller, better then the SEGA Genesis controller. I have few few 4th generation console games.
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

sworddude

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2021, 06:17:56 am »
I can't imagine disliking especially sonic 3 & knuckles if your into action platformers in the classic era, makes no sense to me.

The nintendo bias is quite huge. Probably a ton of people who have rpg's as their favourite genre aswell.

There are other genre's than rpg's lol

Sega all about flash and lacking substance when their action games and shootemups where actually just better the bashing is real.

if where talking controllers. the amount of snes controllers that where just broken is pretty high. Sizable Odds of some buttons not working anymore. even in sets where the games where pristine with boxes these controllers might turn bad even when they weren't used to much them rubbers seem to go bad overtime.

Meanwhile I have never had a sega 6 button pad fail one me ever. always consistent and good, those controllers could take a hard beating and still work perfectly unlike the snes controllers. If your playing sega you definitely want a 6 button pad asap it's a huge upgrade compared to the standard controllers. not only for consistency but it's buttons and d pad are superior.

There's not much for someone outside Jrpgs, and the main Nintendo franchises if you don't care for those.

I think most of the older franchises played and felt better on the NES to be honest.

Truth.

Another cultured individual

If where talking nes > snes

I've heard people who prefer the nes era. They didn't like the more cartoony look of the snes but there are probably multiple reasons aside from the looks to prefer the nes if where talking for example gameplay

« Last Edit: March 10, 2021, 08:22:16 am by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

kashell

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2021, 07:52:37 am »
I grew up with SNES, so that's my preference. However, this has lead me to discover a bunch of Genesis games I missed out on which has been pretty fun.

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2021, 08:30:32 am »

I just realized I hate that old Sonic gameplay at a certain point in my life.  Visually, musically, Sonic is awesome, always has been, but his gameplay is just a lot of running into stuff you'll never know is coming, with occasional bouts of platforming strewn throughout.  It was made more tolerable with Sonic Generations, where they zoomed the game out for Sonic classic, it helps, but otherwise I am just not into it.

Same.  I even tried Sonic Mania and had the exact same frustrations - even if it was a a more polished version of those older games.  Just does not work for me at all.

Truth.

Another cultured individual

If where talking nes > snes

I've heard people who prefer the nes era. They didn't like the more cartoony look of the snes but there are probably multiple reasons aside from the looks to prefer the nes if where talking for example gameplay

This is just a bonkers take to me.  I love the NES, but anything it can do the SNES does better.. Especially gameplay.

And if we are comparing SNES to Genesis?  Most the dual platform games are better on the SNES (your occasional Aladdin not withstanding), but to say it only has first party games and RPGs?  Buh?  Huh?  The Super Star Wars Trilogy, Earthworm Jim, Rock n' Roll Racing, the Mega Man X trilogy, TMNT IV, Contra, ActRaiser, and so many more.  And discounting first-party titles when that literally has gems of pretty much every genre?  That's a very broad dismissive statement.