Author Topic: Nintendo 64 turns 25 years old.  (Read 2221 times)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Re: Nintendo 64 turns 25 years old.
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2021, 12:29:47 pm »
Virtual boy ain't notable enough to count I'd say

I'd say that's exactly why it should count.

I don't know. I count Virtual Boy as a "handheld" or portable even though it was designed to need a table in front of the player. I count handhelds as entirely different from consoles; making Virtual Boy out of the running for worst console. It's definitely their worst system in general though. I think it has a library of what.... 25-30 games? Then the headaches after 15 minutes of play time really sucked.

Yeah, it was terrible. Just playing it for a few minutes at the Toys R Us set-up made my head feel weird.

« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2021, 12:36:09 pm »
Nintendo’s worst console ever, and boy did they deserve to get their asses kicked by Sony.

The Wii U and Virtual Boy are like...right there lol I mean I got a soft spot for the Wii U, weird how I have sorta the most love for kinda Nintendo's worst performing systems, but the Nintendo 64, even with its jank controller has some very iconic games, while the Wii U is gonna be forever known as a stepping stone for the Switch.

Wii U was great hardware and had great 1st-party support, as shown by Switch milking it's library dry. The 3rd-party support really sucked, though.

Agreed.  Wii U is easily their most underrated console.  Breath of the Wild was developed for and released on it.  It had the capability and power, its just that no one bought it.

sworddude

« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2021, 12:56:55 pm »

it's the worst console but unlike the wii u It didn't even try. Someone has a shot at actually playing a wii u game, virtual boy pretty much no has experienced that

That's why it doesn't count for me. You could have slept withouth ever knowing of it's existence. if it's that small it can't even compete with the rest it seems more like an experiment than a legitmate console

1st party support on wii U wasn't great weakest out of any Nintendo console i'd say unless you'd count the experiment that was virtual boy.

Botw being released on wii u when the switch was already out doesn't feel like a win in wii u's favor though. I wouldn't be suprised if the switch version had an earlier release date aswell

I don't see how the wii u was underrated considering majority of the 1st party releases where just average or having failed experiements like starfox zero. The console has barely anything to show for.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2021, 01:35:21 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2021, 01:41:39 pm »

it's the worst console but unlike the wii u It didn't even try. Someone has a shot at actually playing a wii u game, virtual boy pretty much no has experienced that

That's why it doesn't count for me. You could have slept withouth ever knowing of it's existence. if it's that small it can't even compete with the rest it seems more like an experiment than a legitmate console

1st party support on wii U wasn't great weakest out of any Nintendo console i'd say unless you'd count the experiment that was virtual boy.

Botw being released on wii u when the switch was already out doesn't feel like a win in wii u's favor though. I wouldn't be suprised if the switch version had an earlier release date aswell

I don't see how the wii u was underrated considering majority of the 1st party releases where just average or having failed experiements like starfox zero. The console has barely anything to show for.

If you are old enough to be around when the Virtual Boy was new, you experienced it. It was set-up to play at places like Toys R Us, Wal-Mart, and Target. They really tried to push it.

telly

« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2021, 01:50:50 pm »
I think they pushed the Virtual Boy pretty hard before release but it was abandoned pretty quickly by Nintendo once they realized it wasn't doing well. Then they focused efforts on the N64 instead.
Currently Playing:
3D Dot Game Heroes (PS3) Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman (Switch)

My music collection | My Backloggery

sworddude

« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2021, 02:07:44 pm »

If you are old enough to be around when the Virtual Boy was new, you experienced it. It was set-up to play at places like Toys R Us, Wal-Mart, and Target. They really tried to push it.

The console only had 22 games in total just 14 in the US it ain't an actual console like the rest that follow a certain formula in terms of releases. this is to small to be considered as an actual console release. It's almost as bad as the atari jaguar CD with 7 games

Sure it's a console but it's hard to judge something when it barely exists unlike the Wii u
« Last Edit: June 28, 2021, 02:09:23 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

pzeke

« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2021, 01:31:07 am »
I've had both the PS1 and N64 since around their release, so I experienced both during their peak, but I got the N64 at a time where I was already way into the PS1, so, while I enjoyed it, I really didn't gave it much attention. I was, however, deep into Pokémon Stadium and used to host tourneys, as well as would play StarFox 64 not-stop for better scores.

Overall, I like the N64 and personally have no problems whatsoever with the controller. I think the console is overrated, though.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!