Author Topic: Your Own Opinions Of Green Screened Computer Games Of The 1980's  (Read 1539 times)

With a more recent topic about the Atari 2600, I thought maybe some of you could share your thoughts about green and black screened video games. Of the Apple II Macintosh computers of the Mid 1980's or other green screened gaming. Or program devices of the 1980's. Believe it or not I actually had my own personal green screened Apple II computer as a young child at home. and also played games on it, off floppy discs like this Olympic skating sim and others floppy games I had and can't remember.

Main question is do you think that the green screen graphics are better or worse then the Atari 2600's full colored, yet less detailed graphics? Or maybe compare the Apple II graphics to the 1st Nintendo Entertainment System/NES's graphics? Or? any other console of the 1980's for that mater.

I prefer both the NES and the Atari 2600 colored graphics when comparing them to an early computer. like the or Apple II

I also played another Apple II Green Screened computer. at my junior high school. around the year 2000 the last time I operated a green screened computer was actually around 2000-2001 in class at my junior high school.

This Was the Atari 2600 at it best it could do

the best that the NES could do pretty much

« Last Edit: March 14, 2021, 05:56:58 pm by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

sworddude

Re: Your Own Opinions Of Green Screened Computer Games Of The 1980's
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2021, 10:00:53 pm »

the best that the NES could do pretty much

Looks cute and all but that's quite a weak example if I'm being honest. Give some actual good looking games such as vice project doom, sword master or batman return of joker if where talking about state of the art grapics for the console.

or heck even kirby

also I'm shocked the atari 2600 battle zone has such grapics. the game however unfortunately looks kinda trash but if more games had such grapics perhaps the atari could have had good games.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2021, 10:23:55 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2021, 02:47:35 pm »
*ahem*
*adjust glasses*

well ACKSHUALLY the correct term is monochrome display, green screen (aka chroma keying) is a technique used in film.

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2021, 06:45:51 pm »
I have many nostalgic memories of dying from dysentery on a green screen in elementary school. Some of the school computers were actually orange rather than green though.

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2021, 04:14:23 pm »
One game I enjoyed in class in junior high school on a Monochrome Screen  Apple II was called Swashbuckler.

That is a 2D fighting game where you control a man with a sword and you press keys to slash, different opponents, and I think i beat it in class one day. (edit) according to the video there is no end to this game.

After I finished with my normal classwork I would play this game for the remainder of the class

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnER7vX7yn0

that game video is in color but it looks worst than the Atari 2600/VCS, I personally played Swashbuckler in green/monochrome display though
« Last Edit: March 25, 2021, 05:05:29 pm by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"