Author Topic: What is a retro game that you've only recently discovered?  (Read 2085 times)

Re: What is a retro game that you've only recently discovered?
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2021, 05:57:26 pm »
This unfortunately happens less and less to me as time goes by, but I recently found out about several Raizing shmups I'd never heard of and they're just as awesome as their other shmups I've played. Specifically Dimahoo and Sorcerer Strikers.

sworddude

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2021, 07:11:39 pm »
Recently I found a Gameboy game called Avenging Spirit it's a platform game kinda looks like a mega man game but when you are killed you can possess the enemy that killed you and continue as that enemy with his ability. Really fun game but expensive as hell I was lucky and got a break on the price.

I never realised that avenging spirit had an actual arcade game. thought it was just gameboy.
Your Stylish Sword Master!

kashell

« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2021, 07:55:44 am »
Somewhat retro, and it's a game that I've been curious about for years but could never find but...

Crimson Sea 2 for the PlayStation 2. This is a lot of fun.

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2021, 10:01:45 pm »
Recently I found a Gameboy game called Avenging Spirit it's a platform game kinda looks like a mega man game but when you are killed you can possess the enemy that killed you and continue as that enemy with his ability. Really fun game but expensive as hell I was lucky and got a break on the price.

I never realised that avenging spirit had an actual arcade game. thought it was just gameboy.
I hadn't heard anything about either.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2021, 05:26:04 pm »

Faria on NES.

A game that combines traditional overhead RPGs (including random battles) with action-RPG battles. Looks very interesting. But being that it's over $100 I haven't bit the bullet on it, yet.

Yeah, that's another curiosity that often goes overlooked. Sadly, what's becoming all too common is finding games which are over $100.

I did a thing. Bringing it up made me think about it, then research it again. So I just ended up ordering it.

Warmsignal

« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2021, 08:09:09 pm »
That is quite a thing. I'd like to do a thing, but a different one. I don't wanna say way it is... but I'm thinking about droppin' some hefty coin myself boyz. Let's get nuts! Let's all just buy something super expensive. Anyone with us?!? No? Okay.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2021, 12:14:13 am »
That is quite a thing. I'd like to do a thing, but a different one. I don't wanna say way it is... but I'm thinking about droppin' some hefty coin myself boyz. Let's get nuts! Let's all just buy something super expensive. Anyone with us?!? No? Okay.

You missed me by a few years. A little bit ago I would have jumped in with you.  “Hell yeah!  Who’s got something I can buy!?”

ferraroso

« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2021, 08:41:34 pm »
Being raised in a Sega-only environment, there's a lot of good Famicom/NES, Super Famicom/SNES and TurboGrafx-16 games I wasn't familiar with growing up.
I'll try naming only games about which I found out in the last five years or so, but from the top of my head, I can say:

- Ai Senshi Nicol (Famicom Disk System)
- The Firemen (Super Famicom)
- Gundam Wing: Endless Duel (Super Famicom)
- Jackie Chan's Action Kung Fu (PC Engine)
- Side Arms Special (PC Engine CD)

undertakerprime

PRO Supporter

« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2021, 05:50:27 pm »
Like I mentioned in my earlier post, Glory of Heracles and Radiant Historia were virtually unknown to me a few weeks ago. I just received them from Lukie Games today and I’m looking forward to giving them a try.

« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2021, 10:54:08 pm »
Still happens to me, but it seems to happen alot in PS4/Switch Era.

There just so many video games released, with very small batches of print, especially in recent months, games that just came out recently, are already hard to find, and going need to buy a couple.

Also with whole Playstation Store shutting down, going need to buy/download couple PS1 games i want on the go/Exclusives on PS3/PSVita that only came out Digitally.

Like:
       PS3:
               Battle Princess of Arcadias PS3,
               Legasista PS3,
               Vandal Hearts: Flames of Judgment PS3.
               Class Of Heroes 2G (i have physical release, but its very low print run, so most people can only get it digitally, and dont want to open my copy)
       PSP:
               Brandish: The Dark Revenant
               Cladun: This is an RPG!
               End Of Serenity
               Final Fantasy Tactics: War of The Lions
               Mystic Chronicles
      PSVita:
               Adventures of Mana
               Ar nosurge Plus: Ode to an Unborn Star
               Oreshika: Tainted Bloodlines
               Soul Sacrifice Delta
 I am defiently also going to pick up certain PS1 games like Final Fantasy Tactics, Legend of Dragoon, Mega Man Legends 1-2, Parasite Eve 1-2, Persona 2: Eternal Punishment, Suikoden 1-2, Vagrant Story, Wilds Arms 1-2, Xenogears (even though i own them physically, i just want digital formats, just in case if anything happens to my discs, especially the more expansive PS1 games.  Legend of Dragoon and Final Fantasy Tactics are my favorite PS1 games.
The Mind is The Slayer of Reality. --- LoS

astralsoul

« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2021, 09:17:07 am »
Pinball Quest for NES. Never heard of it til 2 or 3 days ago because of a Metal Jesus video and it looks really interesting. Any time RPG elements are combined with any other genre it always piques my interest.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2021, 12:55:33 pm »
Pinball Quest for NES. Never heard of it til 2 or 3 days ago because of a Metal Jesus video and it looks really interesting. Any time RPG elements are combined with any other genre it always piques my interest.

Good on paper, disappointing in execution. I have this one.

sworddude

« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2021, 07:31:47 pm »

The rpg elements might not be perfect but it's still a fantasy pinball game with monsters roaming around on the field

I'm quite a fan of pinball games like dragon's fury, alien cruss.

Pinball games that simulate an actual pinball machine are however not my cup of tea.

Kinda curious what's so subpar about the game, do the rpg elements ruin the gameplay or are the lvl's just mediocre.

Your Stylish Sword Master!

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2021, 11:30:25 pm »

The rpg elements might not be perfect but it's still a fantasy pinball game with monsters roaming around on the field

I'm quite a fan of pinball games like dragon's fury, alien cruss.

Pinball games that simulate an actual pinball machine are however not my cup of tea.

Kinda curious what's so subpar about the game, do the rpg elements ruin the gameplay or are the lvl's just mediocre.

Just kind of bland. Bland "table" designs, bland graphics, and almost circus sounding music.

And the ball-physics are kind of weird. I have played a lot of Pin-Bot on NES, so I just might be too used to those physics.