Author Topic: Ever Bought a Game with No Plans on Opening it?  (Read 2408 times)

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

Re: Ever Bought a Game with No Plans on Opening it?
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2021, 10:57:59 am »
A few. Mainly found for dirt cheap when I had a copy already

Muramasa the Demon blade & Sin & Punishment star successor- found for Clear-Out price. Basically cost me pennies

Madworld- was like $5

Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow- I already had a loose version and I believe I found the new version for a dollar or so more than a used complete copy.

Tales of Xillia 2- bought the collector's edition after the standard edition cause I was enjoying the game

doafan

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2021, 11:44:25 am »
Most of the time I purchase used games and years later after they are released because of prices but managed to get months ago a brand new Monster Hunter Stories and Every Oasis from eBay, since I didn't had the chance to play because of work and family decided to put both of them on sale at Mercado Libre, believe it or not I paid 60 bucks for both of them and sold the first one for 1700 pesos, at today's exchange rate is almost 85 bucks for Ever Oasis I asked 2100 pesos almost 105 bucks so answering your question I might consider getting games without the intention of opening them but just for sale  ;D

I don't want to be horny anymore, I just want to be happy

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2021, 04:28:05 pm »
There have been a few exceptions, but like most have already said: if I buy a game, the intent is to play the damn thing. Even if it takes several years getting around to it.

I have acquired "doubles" of games when I stumble upon a deal too good to pass up on. I recently bought two new copies of Dragon Quest VII for the 3DS because they were both just sitting there in the display case at a Wal-Mart with a 30 dollar price tag on them like it was still 2016. One copy for myself to play and enjoy, and the other I'm holding onto to sell for way more than I paid for or to trade with another collector.

Speaking of which... does anyone want to trade a opened CIB copy of Dragon Quest VIII 3DS for my sealed DQVII? haha

« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2021, 09:22:45 pm »
To resell yes to keep no.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2021, 11:36:26 pm »
If it’s something out of print, you bet.
The only way I’ve come up with sealed games is overestimating the amount of free time I’d have.

Warmsignal

« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2021, 11:59:26 am »
Many times, I have no plans to open a sealed games, but also no plans to leave it sealed. Only one that I've decided will not be opened (and doesn't need to be) is my sealed Twilight Princess GC. That thing keeps going up in value. Sealed collectors are a different breed and they've got deep pockets. Maybe I'll have it graded, for some reason people will actually pay more for the graded ones.

kashell

« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2021, 01:20:50 pm »
I've never done that. I do have some games still in the wrapping but it's because I haven't decided to play them yet.

Flashback2012

« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2021, 03:29:17 pm »
I've never done that. I do have some games still in the wrapping but it's because I haven't decided to play them yet.

Cut/Paste for me.

« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2021, 05:01:11 pm »
So since most people in here don't collect Sealed games I will explain why I do it.  ;D

I've through my gaming years, played LOTS of games, like many of you in here.
But on the way I decided I wanted to collect something. I have always wanted to collect something.
So I decided to collect video games that during my lifetime has meant a great deal for me.
Games that I love and cherish. Games that created my video-game path, direction, love for genre, whatever you wanna call it.

The only sealed copies I own of games, are games that I have beat multiple times.
Fond memories, stored on a shelve for display, remembering me why I love gaming.

Warmsignal

« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2021, 08:19:59 pm »
I mean, I sort of get the appeal in the "time capsule" effect that sealed game has. But as far as paying homage to a game that means something to me on a sentimental level, having a CIB copy on the shelf does that, and I think does it more justice since I can use it at any time.

« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2021, 11:47:10 pm »
Not intentionally but rather as a result of never getting around to it. One sealed game I do intend to keep sealed is my copy of Twilight Princess for the Gamecube I got about a decade ago back when K-mart was still selling games. It was hidden behind a bunch of budget Wii games with a $49.99 sticker on it and GC games by this point weren't really on full display. When I went to ring it up, it actually came back to $5 which was really awesome. Because by that point, I had already played through it on the Wii plus add to the fact that it got a Wii U rerelease, I never saw a reason to open it up to its been sealed since sticker intact because why not.

« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2021, 04:45:28 am »
Yeah i've bought games (and even consoles) with no plan on opening them, more times then i care to admit tough.

« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2021, 06:13:49 pm »
If only I were making more money at the moment, I think it'd be a pretty wise investment to once in a while buy a new copy of a AAA title for any given system (though I'm thinking specifically Nintendo stuff for the sake of this post) and stockpiling those titles slowly over time.

Like right now, Dragon Quest XI for the Switch is still in print and widely available through most retailers. So even if you already own the game, how could it possibly hurt you (besides setting you back 50 smackers right now) to buy another copy (or two or three) and stuff it away in a box for several years?

And with Nintendo, it seems like I prove myself wrong every time when I think nobody else is still gonna care later down the road about these currently very popular AAA games.

Sure, Breath of the Wild sold like a bajillion copies and is likely not going to be worth much for the next ten years, much like how Wind Waker for the GC could be found for like 9 bucks used at game stores for the longest time until very recently. But then in maybe 15-20 years, I can imagine a sealed copy of Breath of the Wild being just as sought after as a sealed Ocarina of Time for N64 is now.

tripredacus

« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2021, 10:08:32 am »
I have certainly bought games that I didn't intend to play, but I have not bought games that were sealed with no intention of opening. That being said, I have bought games that I did intend to play, but were sealed and as time has gone on, I am second guessing whether to open them or not. The reason why a game may have gone untouched for so long is that it has requirements (or recommendations) that are not met.

The one that immediately springs to mind is Panzer Dragoon, which was in a large PC game + demos lot I picked up years ago. It just happened to have been sealed along with some of the other PC games in the lot. There are two "requirements" for playing a game like this that I do not have. They are not hard requirements but they are things that the game was designed to specifically use:
- an IF-SEGA2/L PCI (allows for use of Sega Saturn controllers on Win95/98 PC)
- nVidia NV1 video card

So here is one example of a sealed game that I have no plans to open it, but only because finding a working NV1 for a decent price is pretty much impossible.

telly

« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2021, 10:29:03 am »
Never have, never will. When I buy games it's to open and play them.
Currently Playing:
DOOM (PS4)

My music collection | My Backloggery